Quantcast

New Fox DH coil shock

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
It's pretty obvious from the wider spacing in the picture that they're lightweight steel springs.

But that's classified information and I'm not allowed to tell anyone, you can find out for yourselves in 2 weeks.

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
i,m amazed they have not gone to a bee hive design spring , they have been using them in valvespring designs and are lighter in weight and use less lbs when compared to a straight wind design

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Fox are also branching out into beehiving and have posted an internal ad for beekeepers.
You didn't hear that from me though.
i,m amazed they have not gone to a bee hive design spring , they have been using them in valvespring designs and are lighter in weight

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
is the light weight race coil steel springs also from eibach? the ones used by K9 also comes in 25 lbs, increment, coincidental?

*is there colorway options for the dhx2 powder coated coil springs or its only orange.

SDet

Monkey
Nov 19, 2014
Boulder Co
i,m amazed they have not gone to a bee hive design spring , they have been using them in valvespring designs and are lighter in weight and use less lbs when compared to a straight wind design
That shape is more for resonance at high rpm. Since the spring varies along its height it won't all resonate and compress at once.

The difficulty I see on bikes is that the entire spring has to be bigger than the shock body, so a beehive would just be wider yet, possibly causing clearance issues with the reservoir or the frame.

But that's just one way to look at it.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
is the light weight race coil steel springs also from eibach? the ones used by K9 also comes in 25 lbs, increment, coincidental?

*is there colorway options for the dhx2 powder coated coil springs or its only orange.
Eibach was in fact the manufacturer of the K9 "Race Springs" as they were stamped with Eibach's name/logo but are no longer in production. Currently, I'm particularly interested in similar offerings by Stendecworks/SA Springs:

http://stendecworks.com/springs/

http://sa-springs.com/

sapom01000201B-714x512.jpg

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
@Udi: I hope you've got a full wallet.
Available in both coil and float version.
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/fox-x2-36-sls-sea-otter-2015.html

PinkBike said:
The new layout is what's referred to as a recirculating damper, and it's called that because rather than the oil flowing back and forth in opposite directions as the shock compresses and rebounds like in a traditional layout, the X2 forces the oil to move in one direction up through the compression circuit and then out through the rebound circuit.
So... A CCDB...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Thank Fing M16 Jesus they didn't actually put knobs on there...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
So... A CCDB...
Yeah, one that doesn't leak and develop shaft play I would imagine - the latter described as "normal" by CC. I've seen a few now where you can rock the shaft around visibly, and they don't seem to consider it a warranty issue. I think there are a lot of shocks out there these days that perform great, but only a few that'll do it trouble-free for a few seasons and I think Fox have generally been above-par on this front.

The other issue with the CCDB is that the HS valving (spring-loaded poppet only) is preset and non-adjustable aside from spring preload, which doesn't actually offer the most optimal setup for every frame or rider. Even for a competent tuner, a valve-seat tool is required to disassemble those valves, and then you'd need to fabricate a custom spring to have control over the entire damping curve. It sounds like Fox have made an effort to improve this common issue with twin-tube dampers by offering easier access and different valve options - so to me this actually represents a substantial upgrade over a CCDB by offering the ability to completely optimise for different frames.

This is a non-issue on conventional designs with shimmed pistons, because the shim configuration controls the spring rate.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Yeah, one that doesn't leak and develop shaft play I would imagine - the latter described as "normal" by CC. I've seen a few now where you can rock the shaft around visibly, and they don't seem to consider it a warranty issue. I think there are a lot of shocks out there these days that perform great, but only a few that'll do it trouble-free for a few seasons and I think Fox have generally been above-par on this front.

The other issue with the CCDB is that the HS valving (spring-loaded poppet only) is preset and non-adjustable aside from spring preload, which doesn't actually offer the most optimal setup for every frame or rider. Even for a competent tuner, a valve-seat tool is required to disassemble those valves, and then you'd need to fabricate a custom spring to have control over the entire damping curve. It sounds like Fox have made an effort to improve this common issue with twin-tube dampers by offering easier access and different valve options - so to me this actually represents a substantial upgrade over a CCDB by offering the ability to completely optimise for different frames.

This is a non-issue on conventional designs with shimmed pistons, because the shim configuration controls the spring rate.
So... a non-leaky, non-rocky-shafty CCDB...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Well, and presumably/hopefully one that offers better frame/rider-specific optimisation rather than one-valve-fits-all. So not really the same thing.

I do agree that the adjusters should be tool free though.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Well, and presumably/hopefully one that offers better frame/rider-specific optimisation rather than one-valve-fits-all. So not really the same thing.

I do agree that the adjusters should be tool free though.
I know, I know, I was just pulling your chain. While I have to reckon I've never had the opportunity to test a CCDB, I never got completely sold by that simple fact you just exposed: a unique base tune, usable on all the different suspension platforms and in all the different riding styles...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah I know you were, just thought I'd leave it there to save tabletop84 writing another retarded reply.

But you're absolutely right - the reality is those dampers would work great on a lot of frames for a lot of people, but there would also be scenarios where they aren't perfect - and on a shimmed shock you could simply re-valve them to suit, but on a primarily poppet valved shock, you really just have to deal with it.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011

aaand I expected this post aswell...

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
OK. No FREE 6 and 3 mm hex/ allen keys for every purchase.

the (standec) coil is sketchy... buy the damper first and use the old coil and wait for monkey reviews and approval..

Will fox release list of compatible dh and trail frames?

Last edited:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
See, this is the thing: Function before Fashion I always say, but Orange with a capital "OH" isn't exactly a neutral color that will look good with most paint schemes...

I understand the reasons behind using Orange, but if FOX offered them in, say, white; THAT would be a better choice comparatively speaking.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Necro bump! Jenson has the 2017 X2 and DHX2 on sale, got me a DHX2 w/ climb switch for my Balance for $329. I am still quite happy with the Topaz but I have been missing a coil shock on my trail bike.