Votes: 4 23.5%
  • XD40 subcompact

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

JacobDW

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Manassas, VA
OOOO WOW a gun forum... didnt know we got one... sry then... mods can you move to gun forum, i was unaware that we had upgraded.. thanks!

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I have a G23 and LOVE it. I am great on keeping it clean so I don't have problems with guns working right. I still have 25,000+ rounds through mine, and have yet to have anything resembling a problem. The thing is super simple to take apart and put back together. At first I had trouble shooting it, I'm used to a target pistol, but once I put some rounds through it my groups tightened right up. I also swapped the sights, trigger and barrel. I wanted some high visibility target sights, and a match trigger for shooting action pistol. The barrel was my only real complaint, the stock barrel only likes jacketed bullets. I'm reloading, and the cheapest bullets for practicing with are solid lead, but if you aren't reloading it's a non issue. I'm pretty sure the glock has much fewer moving parts as well, and a simple gun usually works more often....

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Of those I'd take the XD40 sub.

I have a 9mm (Beretta Cougar) that I enjoy shooting but I'm also looking for something small for a CCW. My feeling is that if it's big and heavy it's going to be a chore to take it everywhere you go. You have to ask "will I actually carry this?" However when you get down to a small enough pistol that the answer is "yes" it's essential that it fit in your hand properly. Very easy to screw up. I've shot the Glock and while I liked the action of the gun in general, I didn't like the way they scaled down the grip. It was too fat and short, and I just didn't feel like I could could get a good purchase on it.

Realistically, you don't much need a ton of rounds or long range accuracy for this use. In the kind of confrontation where you'd pull it, you're going to be right up close so being able to get it out fast without any hangups and shoot without worrying about rounds passing through and killing neighboring children are key.

I was at a gunshow over the weekend comparison shopping, and for the money (about $300) I really liked this little guy:

6+1 of .380 in a very compact package, and it didn't feel like as much of a toy as most "saturday night special" type guns (see: kel-tek).

JacobDW

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Manassas, VA
Decided on the glock 23... now i just gotta find one...

deciding factor was that a few companies make conversion kits for .22lr, much cheaper than .40sw any day... and would be easy for the woman to learn on, she wants a CHP too. Also, every company makes spare parts and upgrades for the glock, which is designed to be user servicable...

XD i find is heavier and not as easy to dissasemble...

PLUS I get to say I has a Glock....

As for the Little Coppied Pistol (LCP) I bought the original Kel tec 380, that thing goes everywhere with me. I was unsure of it till I shot one, its dead accurate at 15yrds and has a pleasingly stout kick, I love mine. Its also great because of the size, I work with TONS of cutomers all day while my fingers tickle the grip and no one has the slightest idea.

Anyone want to buy a SW Sigma 40VE!?!?!?!

Last edited:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Get a Glock 19 instead. The gun's cheaper, the ammo's cheaper and it's even more reliable. (Unless you already have a bunch of .40s, in which case the ammo commonality is a plus.) But a G19 and a bunch of ammo are the most amazing combination of effectiveness, reliability, and low cost you can get. The more cash you have left over, the more ammo you can buy. The more ammo you can buy, the more you practice.

.40 doesn't practically gain you anything over the 9. Want stopping power? Carry a shotgun or a rifle. Gotta carry a pistol? Get a 9 and shoot them in the face.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Get a Glock 19 instead. The gun's cheaper, the ammo's cheaper and it's even more reliable. (Unless you already have a bunch of .40s, in which case the ammo commonality is a plus.) But a G19 and a bunch of ammo are the most amazing combination of effectiveness, reliability, and low cost you can get. The more cash you have left over, the more ammo you can buy. The more ammo you can buy, the more you practice.

.40 doesn't practically gain you anything over the 9. Want stopping power? Carry a shotgun or a rifle. Gotta carry a pistol? Get a 9 and shoot them in the face.
9 is worthless, 40 is a bit better. The big thing I like about the 23 is that you can get a 357 sig barrel, that round hits HARD.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County

My thoughts exactly. 9 v. .45 is a bit of a different argument, but what good does more stopping power do if you can't hit your target?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I can hit a target with a .45 just fine. But if I shot you in one leg with a 9mm and one leg with a .45, you'd not be able to tell the difference. Neither will physically knock you down or anything like that. You'd have a small hole in you, and your reaction to that would be totally dependent on a huge set of factors in which the "power" of the round is only an insignificant part (when speaking of handgun rounds). Cavitation causing major nervous trauma due to the mass and velocity of the round is a much bigger factor when speaking of rifle rounds. ALL pistol rounds are weak, and the difference between them is marginal if at all present in the real world under combat conditions.

If I shot you in the face or the heart, you'd certainly not be able to tell the difference. Alas, getting a shot like that is probably going to be luck under most fighting conditions.

So the solution? Stop listening to what a bunch of IPSC and Internet-based paper-punchers say about "power" and, if faced with a real fight, shoot your subject repeatedly, preferably accurately into the center of mass or head, until the subject is no longer a threat. Definitely carry a gun with a high round count, like a 9mm or a .40 if you must feel like more of a man that way. Carry a gun with enough power to penetrate normal human clothing, human tissue, and common domestic cover...like a 9mm...and don't worry about what some guy with a 1911 says.