Quantcast

New guy needs replacement FS bike advice

Bigblockquad

Chimp
Oct 23, 2011
First post, just wanted to say Hi and ask for some advice. My dilemma is I suffer from a bit of analysis paralysis and it seems there are ALOT of great used bikes out there for a fraction of their new prices. I just can't seem to decide.

My current ride is a 2005 specialized stumpjumper FSR expert 120. I bought it new in 05, rode it for a year, then kinda got out of the sport. Fast forward to 2011. I've gotten back into riding and I still love my bike but I feel it's alittle outdated and I'd like to upgrade. My riding style is more XC than anything else but I need a descent amount of travel . My favorite trail is Dry Creek in Modesto. I ride it at least 3 times a week. It's not too hard but in certain areas the trail has eroded to the point that a bike has to be nimble. Other than dry creek I do alot of road work ie, riding to the post office, GYM, errands, etc.

What I'm leaning towards is:

1) Another Specialized SJ, probably a 2010 S works because of the increased travel. They seem reasonably priced used
2) Specialized Epic, maybe an S works. Again they seem to also be reasonable used.
3) Ibis Mojo SL. Kind've a wild card but I really like the looks and the reviews seem to be pretty good.
4) The Yeti 575. I like it much for the same reasons as the Ibis.
5) And last but not least the Santa Cruz blur LT carbon. It's probably too much for what I need but still a great bike.

I know, "have you gone to ride any?" Where I live the only LBS nearby sells Giant and Specialized but neither have demo bikes. and the other bikes aren't very common around here that I know of. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Rich.