Quantcast

New guy to the biking world, how's my ride?

dklimek

Chimp
Jul 24, 2011
So I got into the biking world not too long ago. I started with this bike I've had that wouldn't shift gears, didn't have a name brand on it and was just horrible. Couple of days later I found a cheap huffy for $10 on craigslist so I grabbed that. A couple of days later I found a Schwinn Ranger for $40, it came with a bike lock and a rack that I sold for $25. Friday I ended up getting what I will be keeping for a while. It's a diamondback response with a wtb pure v seat, and kendra tires. I like it so far, but I've never ridden a expensive bike either :p

I've already biked 50 miles the past three days, and I really enjoy it! I've been a mechanic all of my life (parent's owned a shop since I was born) but I'm not too fluent on bike, been more of a "motor" guy. Is this bike any good? I'd be interested to hear any information on upgrades I could to do it too. Here is a pic:

dklimek

Chimp
Jul 24, 2011
Hello - every bike is a good bike. :)
Haha! I finally got a chance to take this on some real trails, and man it's gonna take some learning to get a bike like this around. The wide handle bars clipped a few things and had me actually stop...and I can see why people had complained about weight now. But overall I think it's just something I need to get used to. It's a great beginners bike for me, i'd like to know my options on upgrades though.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Don't upgrade just yet. Ride it 'till it breaks and then replace the broken bits. You're spot-on with your assessment of the bike though, it's a little heavy but a great bike for getting started on. You'll know pretty quickly once your skill level has 'outgrown' the bike, until then continue to ride the snot out of it.

dklimek

Chimp
Jul 24, 2011
Don't upgrade just yet. Ride it 'till it breaks and then replace the broken bits. You're spot-on with your assessment of the bike though, it's a little heavy but a great bike for getting started on. You'll know pretty quickly once your skill level has 'outgrown' the bike, until then continue to ride the snot out of it.
Haha I'm going to wait but it's always nice to plan ahead. I've outgrown the "mod bug" years ago with cars so I'm going to actually enjoy this hobby instead of trying to out do everyone else :p

Btw It's CRAZY how much adjusting the seat to the proper height changes everything.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I know its not all about the material, but when ur sure u like riding, a proper bike does improve the fun and your ride...
So ride this one hard so it breaks so ull have a good excuse to buy a nice and shiny second hand "expensive" bike!

dklimek

Chimp
Jul 24, 2011
I know its not all about the material, but when ur sure u like riding, a proper bike does improve the fun and your ride...
So ride this one hard so it breaks so ull have a good excuse to buy a nice and shiny second hand "expensive" bike!
Haha agreed! It's much more enjoyable when you start with something BAD, then work your way up....nice to know I still have better options even though im really content thus far.

Jul 1, 2011
Melbourne FL
You may want to consider cutting an inch or so off of each side of your handlebars if they are too wide. Itll get you more clearance between trees, and may be a more comfortable ride. That said, any bike is good so long as its safe. Just dont overdo it on any given bike. ie watch the big drop offs if your bike isnt made for it. But for regular trail riding you should be fine.

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
I started riding with a response. The biggest improvement is going to rolling weight. Those DB rims are all really heavy. I would recommend something inexpensive like Mavic cross trails and some SPD shoes and pedals and then feel the difference of the bike. Also they are upgrades that you could bring to your next bike as well if you wanted.