Quantcast

New guy.

armyvisual

Chimp
Feb 5, 2009
Whats up guys.

I grew up riding motocross, so I'm hoping my transition into mtb will be pretty good. I generally love to go out and just throw whips over gaps and transfers, and when riding tracks I usually just loop around any rhythm sections and hit those all day long :)

Anyway, coming from motocross my obvious first goals are to hit some big jumps hahah, but I wanted to learn more about setup and techniques.

I haven't yet purchased a bike (its still snowing here, so Im shopping around).

A few questions I have are, what do you recommend for bike setup? I'm not crazy rich, so just a good solid bike for trail riding and jumping mostly.

Also, in motocross we pretty much completely manipulate the bike with throttle and legs. In moto, body position is huge.. you can lean and sit down and kinda twist the bars as you take off and throw a sick whip. In mtb after watching videos if you tried this you would probably flip over.

What kind of body positioning and pre-setup are you doing to control your pitch in the air? Im used to gas/brake as well as the way you lean while taking off.

any help is appreciated! and cool forum you guys have going on here!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
If you've never owned a trail bike before I suggest you start with used and go as cheaply as possible. At a minimum you'll want disk brakes and a decent drive train - Deore or LX is just fine for a first trail bike.

If you really got into motocross you might be more drawn to a down hill bike - I know very little about these bikes but I understand that anything painted rootbeer is pretty good. Chect the DH forum for advice about whats good to ride. :)

timmyfosho

Chimp
Feb 18, 2009
i have a kona stinky and i love it. i like to do a lot of jumps/drops, and i think it handles that **** very well, and it's cheap too. i got mine used for just under a grand