Quantcast

New Honda RN01 at Keystone bike park?

radodhr

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Colorado, USA
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Check this out. Yesterday I was downhilling at the Keystone bike park in Colorado and a big Honda bus pulled in and started setting up. A few hours later a Tomac truck pulled in. The Honda guys unloaded what looked like a new version of the Honda bike that Greg Minnaar rode in the World Cups. Three of them spent the rest of the day riding the bike at the park. Is it possible that we could see the Honda bike finally come to market with Tomac badging? The bike looks almost production ready, with a really finished looking gear box and a more developed frame. It still looks cooler than any DH bike I have ever seen!

radodhr

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Colorado, USA
These are the only pictures I have of it. But if you click on the image, you should be able to see a pretty big version of the picture. I left it the original size just for that reason!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
that looks like the last version of the RN01....same Showa shock and fork, but without carbon seat mast some had

i still stand by my comment of "if they build it, i will buy it"

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
yea i checked 'em out full size. Did you talk to anyone from either company?
Closer crop. Looks like the Carbon wrapped gearbox is gone and replaced with a cast version. Also has a mixture of parts on it.... sort of weird. I would love to ride the Fork, shocks!

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
So cool. I would love to see this get resurrected. I'm not holding my breath that I will be riding one any time soon but it would be great to see if their technology will start to trickle down to other manufacturers. Regardless, it is always nice to look at and makes a nice conversation piece.

radodhr - thanks for sharing! :thumb:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
You sir, win a prize for having MASSIVE pics with good detail to them!

My guess would be the guys at Tomac and Honda know each other. Eli is racing for them. So they came out together to put in some laps. Doubt Honda would worry about re-badging their bike. If anything, Tomac might act as US distributor to avoid having to setup their own?

But still...way cool to see them showing up again. That bike needs to be produced.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
so this is what they mean about being in the right place at the right time </cliche>
That's for sure! Because I was there yesterday, too. But they just set up their tent as I was leaving. Great shots!

Was there a chick in DH gear around that Honda bus? That's the only person in that group I saw that actually looked like they rode.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Honest question (no intent of snark, sarcasm): What is so exciting about this bike? Looks like a massively overbuilt gearbox bike to my (untrained?) eyes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Honest question (no intent of snark, sarcasm): What is so exciting about this bike? Looks like a massively overbuilt gearbox bike to my (untrained?) eyes.
-showa suspension
-gearbox
-raced successfully at the world cup level, yet was never available to the public
-made by honda, one of the world's largest manufacturers of offroad sports toys

essentially its one of the most lusted after downhill bikes ever

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
there was a video years ago on MPORA that had Minaar's mechanic talking about their "gearbox" design.
anyone have it? the youtube isnt finding it

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Also, a gearbox that's not just a Rohloff chucked into the frame. I was partly interested in the bike just because I was curious what Honda built in there.

The weight was pretty decent, too, IIRC - for all of that gearbox mass and the big suspension.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Also, a gearbox that's not just a Rohloff chucked into the frame. I was partly interested in the bike just because I was curious what Honda built in there.

The weight was pretty decent, too, IIRC - for all of that gearbox mass and the big suspension.
the first iteration or 2 of it was a true gearbox. there were too many issues, and it eventually evolved into a DIAB (derailer in a box)

best pic I could find:

edit: moar and better:

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah, rohloff in a box or derailleur in a box...LOL. I'd rather have the completeness of the rohloff/nexus/alfine than what equates to a centralized normal drivetrain...but yeah.

I think the bike was just so popular because they integrated so much moto tech into it. It still looks super complete, front to back to me, vs. the awkwardness of a lot of designs.

Still, I don't believe this is anything new. The only change is the formula?? brakes on there instead of the brembos. When I see a real fork and shock on there, I'll buy into the idea that they're looking to build it. Otherwise that just looks like another 07 or whatever leftover that somebody wheeled out to let the cobwebs blow off.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Wasn't the first transmission they were running in there CVT also? The later/revised edition - derailleur in a box - was not. But couldn't they also shift while coasting? I think I remember reading about that being one of the big advantages to that design was their ability to be in the proper gear by the time they came out of a corner or gnar.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
But couldn't they also shift while coasting? I think I remember reading about that being one of the big advantages to that design was their ability to be in the proper gear by the time they came out of a corner or gnar.
yep, i remember the mechanic saying you could pedal while coasting or under full load too