Quantcast

new kid on the block!

red_beard

Chimp
Aug 21, 2013
Hey everyone, been searching around for a descent forum to relate with and share tech/tip stuff as well as rides with.
Im a male, mid 30's and a huge bicycle enthusiast, I live in Phoenix and love to get out and enjoy my city with some good ol fashioned urban riding and recently acquired a 2010yr model Specialized P1 DJ limited to do so with. Guy i bought it from had very little time on it so the bike in my mind is being re-broken in if you will.
I have just under 100mi in the week ive owned her as our "get to know ya" process and now im seeing where i need to focus in on for correct fitment.
Will be adding upgrades and replacment parts as i go and/or as needed inorder to set this ol girl up for my desire...
first up is going to be a set of Answer Pro AM 50.8mm rise bars, my arms are to far out in extension towards the factory bars, causing unneeded back strain, ill see what comes up next after those...

anyways, theres a lil about me, and what im doin on here, thanks...ill be posting picks, we all like pics lol

feel free to drop by and throw out your .02 ;0)

red_beard

Chimp
Aug 21, 2013
bought the bike with a flat rear tube and nasty grips, trucked it to my lbs and swapped out some new ego grips, and and a heavy walled rear tube and there she is, after two nights of riding she had to be cleaned and de-decaled! then re-routed the both front and rear brake cables and by doing so i trimmed 10" off the rear and almost the same in the front! Crazy loops they made, now nice and neat...

Attachments

red_beard

Chimp
Aug 21, 2013
hmmm, well the bars i stated i wanted to buy are not going to raise the location any compared to the oe bars, ill need to find a stem/bar combo...any ideas for that one?

red_beard

Chimp
Aug 21, 2013
well i almost the answer 50.8mm bars but then dbl checked the specs on the oe bars...didnt think it would be worth it, do you have pics of your stem/bar set up boostindoubles? how high of a rise is the stem?

mutt, i was lookin at mnt bike stuff but hopefully i can find somthin relatively close to what the dj stuff looks like ya know, we'll see....

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
what about something like these? I don't know anything about this brand, or the bars specifically, but was just thinking bmx-bars-for-mtb....

http://www.dmrbikes.com/products/bars/wingbar-braced

And not to backtrack, but can we revisit why you need higher bars? It seems that bar position = arm reach issue = back issue. taller bars may or may not be the answer.

what kind of riding are you primarily doing on the bike, and what kind of riding tends to result in the back strain?

what size frame is it and how tall are you?

Its just that I'm looking at the picture and can't help noticing that it appears like a classic DJ setup,.....except that the seat is way up like you intended to put some miles under it rather than some sets under it. Mind you though my perspective is biased since I'm on a 20" with a slammed seat only good for holding my aging a$$ up when I'm nearly hyperventilating after a lap.

I had his momentary mental image of something like below and thought, yeah, that'll cause some arm/back strain :)

red_beard

Chimp
Aug 21, 2013
lol nice illustration! id like to less arm extension at normal riding while seated. Im setting this bike up for urban street riding, minor jumps etc...

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
lol nice illustration! id like to less arm extension at normal riding while seated. Im setting this bike up for urban street riding, minor jumps etc...
hmmmm, could be that the frame is a bit big for you?

Does your seat have room to slide forward at all?

Can you rotate your current bars a bit so the sweep points more toward you?

...just some thoughts

red_beard

Chimp
Aug 21, 2013
Lol...that's exactly what I did... this bike is new to me so little fitment at a time

Last edited: