Quantcast

New Kooka splined crank

gwat

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
Fernie, BC, Canada
Kooka is coming out with a splined cranks (yep, only a year or two behind the competition). But they will be comaptible with Shimano systems, NOT ISIS. Why on earth would they do that? ISIS will hopefully be the new industry standard. So why would they go with the Shimano system? I'm sure they paid top dollar for the licensing fees.

G

gravity

simple business man...... if they think that shimano's setup will sell more than any ISIS setup, it makes sense to use the best-selling setups.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'm looking at my Cambria Bike catalog, and it lists Kooka cranks with the ISIS system...is something wierd going on here? Is Cambria ahead the times or without a clue?

Mike

Jeff M.

Chimp
Sep 23, 2001
North Vancouver B.C.
The simple reason for the decision is logistics. The Shimano spline is CNC machined just like the rest of the crank. Whereas the ISIS spline must be broached, thus adding another step and increased cost to production. In addition the CNC'd connection provides a more precise fit. As for the ISIS spline shown in the catalogue that was a prototype produced prior to the deal signed with Shimano to use their system.

Hope that made sense

-Jeff