Quantcast

New leader with a big gap.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Well there is a new leader now... he has a big gap and can obviously climb so he probably wont get dropped on any of the climbs too bad. He's in a good position right now. I think it was stupid of the GC guys to let him get that far out.

Anyone know how he time trials?

I'm rooting tfor Landis still, but putting my money on Klöden.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
All the "favorites" who sat in the peloton and didn't even have the balls to send team mates up to chase the breakaway down are pussies. I think a conservative strategy can lose this race.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Oh how often do you see a guy go out on a long mountain stage, and then get dropped the next day. Virenque comes to mind.

Today was one of those won't win it but you could lose it. Tomorrow will be the real selection.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
DRB said:
Oh how often do you see a guy go out on a long mountain stage, and then get dropped the next day. Virenque comes to mind.

Today was one of those won't win it but you could lose it. Tomorrow will be the real selection.
No doubt the big players will be doing something tomorrow. One of the TT/mountain stage guys need to get something done. Landis or Klöden methinks. Still pulling for a hincappie surprise breakaway, I know the man can climb, I wanna see it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
DRB said:

True, but guys like Virenque would usually make sure to lose a bunch of time before trying a break so no one would feel threatened and chase. With nothing but a bunch of "also rans" fighting for the lead this year letting someone only a few minutes back get 9+ minutes is a bit risky. What would have it taken to limit their lead to just 5 minutes? The big dogs aren't here this year and the favorites shouldn't fool themselves into thinking they are the big dogs just because they are the favorites.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Westy said:
True, but guys like Virenque would usually make sure to lose a bunch of time before trying a break so no one would feel threatened and chase. With nothing but a bunch of "also rans" fighting for the lead this year letting someone only a few minutes back get 9+ minutes is a bit risky. What would have it taken to limit their lead to just 5 minutes? The big dogs aren't here this year and the favorites shouldn't fool themselves into thinking they are the big dogs just because they are the favorites.
Thats kind of what I was saying. I think the big teams may be underestimating him a bit. This guy has a big lead and he's a climber. I bet he can at least stay with the leaders tomorrow. Hell, he could try to make another attack work out for him and he would be sitting pretty for the big win.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Why is everyone so suprised? None of the favs are going to come out to play till stage 15 which is the start of the alps. These two days are just a warm up. Tomorrow the Spainish will be attacking full force, and people like Rassmussen who are pure climbers going for KOM will go for it. The GC guys are just going to sit back and watch.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
So Bruynel pretty much blew off the threat a "french guy" has to the them.

It really is hard to say what'll happen. I do think that the big teams will be more aggressive tomorrow but I suspect that they'll wait to the last couple of climbs or even just the last climb to make any serious moves (if they move at all). I still think that Discovery might be the only team with the kind of climbing firepower to string the field, I'm just not sure if they have that guy that can take advantage of it. If nothing else it might be to just get back some of that time from that "french guy", not so much to take it of the contenders.

You could also see another long breakaway by somebody like Rasmussen or someone else interested in the polka dots.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I'd love to see a noname or non fav. take it, but I am betting these teams really know what their doing, and as the days pass the fav.'s will keep inching their way into the top 5

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
It's wierd, it's like with Lance, Jan, Ivan, etc. gone, there is no spark with these guys. These teams need leaders that can light a fire under their asses.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
SPOILER!!!!!!!!!

Well I sort of called it. These AG2r guys are kicking everyones butt... they have set a pace that Disco and some of phonak cant cope with. Doing quite a job of keeping the jersey. Dessel should attack again on the 15th... the GC contenders will have to follow and if he can drop them... and gain another 2:00... he has a strong chance to hold his lead in the TT's.

Fack these pvssy teams. AG2r is stepping it up, good for them.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Spoiler AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

"Dessel Has been left on his own by his team. The Ag2r squad is now putting all of its effort into working for Moreau."

Say what?

EDIT: Aww hell... okay, looks like I didnt call it at all... the GC's are moving up away from the yellow jersey. Landis, Lepi, Rogers, and Klöden.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
golgiaparatus said:
SPOILER!!!!!!!!!

Well I sort of called it. These AG2r guys are kicking everyones butt... they have set a pace that Disco and some of phonak cant cope with. Doing quite a job of keeping the jersey. Dessel should attack again on the 15th... the GC contenders will have to follow and if he can drop them... and gain another 2:00... he has a strong chance to hold his lead in the TT's.

Fack these pvssy teams. AG2r is stepping it up, good for them.
Pussy teams? no clue.........

Have you guys forgotten they have to hit the alps still. Those stages make these look flat. One so-so day there, or one good day for someone and things change in a heartbeat.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Zutroy said:
Pussy teams? no clue.........

Have you guys forgotten they have to hit the alps still. Those stages make these look flat. One so-so day there, or one good day for someone and things change in a heartbeat.

While that is true... the Tour is won or lost by seconds and a lot of the GC teams are getting way behind and possibly opening a door for an nobody team to set up a win...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
N8 said:
While that is true... the Tour is won or lost by seconds and a lot of the GC teams are getting way behind and possibly opening a door for an nobody team to set up a win...
How many times has the tour been won by seconds that don't add up to minutes?

The yellow jersey could easily be taken today if anyone actually wanted it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I followed it on the velonews live update. Levi attacked a few times, wasn't successful but it makes up a bit for sucking the past week.

ATTACK!
ATTACK!
ATTACK!
ATTACK!
ATTACK!