Quantcast

New prototype frames and build!!

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track

So, I finally received the new prototype cruiser frames. Those of you that have been following this thread know that it's been a long process, but it feels great to finally have my dream frame!! The weight on these are right at five and a half pounds. There are few little things I want to do to make it even lighter for the production run (still tentative at this point). The geo on mine is as follows:

TT - 22.3
CS - 14.25
BB - 12.7
HA - 74
SA - 71.5
ST - 9

WCH is getting the other frame. The geo is similar, but his has a 21.9 TT, 12.5 BB, and a 73.5 HA.

Unfortunately, I've been sick, so I haven't had a chance to ride it much. It feels awesome from the little riding I have done... it fits perfect, feels very responsive and poppy off of lips... and no toe buzz on x-ups.

Last edited:

knowayback

Chimp
Sep 25, 2008
WOW!
Perfect - I would definatley buy one if these make production.
Geo sounds spot on. Pretty much my ideal frame.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Congrats Cru!! Doesn't it feel great to have a dream turn reality? Its awesome to design your own frame.. then shred it too! Next step for you is the purchase of machines to build 'em yourself!

They look sick! And on note with the supplier throwing down some primer - it might be considered a smart decision by them. That way the frames wont arrive with any sort of surface rust, etc. It can easily be stripped off with over the counter paint strippers, etc. or some elbow grease and a few sheets of sand paper. However, you did ASK them not to.. so that's debatable.

Last edited:

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Very nice Cru, looks like a great ride, give us some action shots at the trails when you get better. I cleared my Raw finish, but had to remove it do to rusting under the cloat. I used Klean Strip arerosal stripper and it worked great, hopefully they didn't sand blast it before primer.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
klean strip is what we use to strip all our re-paints as well. It works very well. Quite the messy job, however. And so long as you didnt want the raw look, sandblasting the frame is actually one of the best ways to prep for paint.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Man, I would have loved one of those about 8 years ago when I was running cruiser race frames at the trails. It has some great looking lines and the geo looks spot on. Can't wait to hear what you and WCH think after riding it.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Thanks for the good words. I rode it for a bit in the park at work today. It feels really, really good... like an adult sized bmx. It's definitely not the "land magnet" like the traditional cruiser geometry. I can't wait to ride it on the trails.

It looks like the Sunday 24.1 forks are coming out in black, so I think I might put those on at some point. For those that are interested, here are the build specs.

Wheels: Primo Mix hubs and Rhynolite rims
Bars: S&M RV (5.75 rise)
Fork: Off of my Giant Method 24
Cranks: Demolition Medial LT 2.0
Seat: Shadow
Stem: WTP
Peds: Animal PC Trans Black
Tires: Kenda Small Block 8 and DMR Moto R/T

Build weight is 25.5 lbs.

I'll be sure to post some action shots when I get them!

Last edited:

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
And so long as you didnt want the raw look, sandblasting the frame is actually one of the best ways to prep for paint.
What does a frame look like after sandblasting? Can you still see the colors from the welds? Also, the drops, bb, and ht are heat-treated on this, so they should be a different color if completely raw, right? I'm thinking maybe these are just sandblasted with no primer coat.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
WOW, first of all, awesome job actually getting that thing built! I admire your perseverance and design pretty much equally.

Secondly, I could definitely see myself on one of those things. I haven't ridden street/DJ in over a year but that thing looks like it would be so perfect it could re-kindle the interest. I really hope it sees production, even if it's limited-run.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA

^after being blasted.

As I look at it - I am thinking you're frames are sandblasted. it should have a very "rough" look - but uniform throughout. The heat-zone from the welding "should" be gone if blasted OR primered.. BUT depending on what type of blasting they did (aka sand, media, etc, etc.) it may have been much less abrasive and also depending on how tedious they were with the blast job you may still be able to see some heat-zones. And yes - if the tubes were heat-treated - they should look different from the rest.

hope that makes sense..

EDIT:: I am pretty positive it was blasted with a lighter abrasive than sand. Sand is incredibly aggressive - good chance they used walnut shells or something similar.

EDIT2:: Sorry for the threadjack of sorts... still big props. They look DIALED! I'd love the chance to ride one and feel what a "real" 24" BMX should ride like. Also - curious as to what kind of rear tire clearance you have..?

Last edited:

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Aye, aye, I'm with grove, looks like it was just blasted and not painted. If it's primed you'd be able to scrape off some paint with a knife blade, or you'd probably see the marks where you tightened your rear axle down.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
In this case.. the builder was technically following what you had said by leaving it raw - and actually HELPING you out most likely assuming you had plans lined up for paint already. Just specify you want the frames straight outa the jig instead of blasted next time. either way - I've actually always like the look of a blasted frame ;)

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
That's all well and good. where are the riding pics :D
Here's one. I'm seriously in love with this bike. It is sooooo much fun on the trails. Everyone else that tried it seemed to like it, as well. Especially the bmx only guys who all thought that it felt more like a 20" bmx than any bike they had been on with bigger wheels. I agree.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
That is a killer shot Cru.

I had a feeling that sucker would ride good from the build pics - it just had the right look to it.

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
I am very very interested in purchasing this frame. Please advise. I had a model C all ready to go but I will wait until I hear from you.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Yo! Thanks for the good words and the interest. Alright, the plan is (unless something unexpected happens) that we are going to do at least one production run. It's definitely going to take awhile, so I'm not sure that you will want to wait. I'd say the best case scenario is that I'll have the frames in 4 months, but it could take up to twice that long. I'll have a better idea on the time frame here in the next few weeks. I'll also keep you updated on brand info, colors, pricing, etc.

Thanks again for the interest and I'll try to get some more ride shots soon.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Just wanted to give a little update and share a pic. You have no idea how much I love this bike. It feels so good on everything. I'm even starting to get turndowns back, which I had somehow lost for awhile. They're still not perfect, but I can feel them getting closer. Between the new trails and the new bike, I'm having more fun on a bike than I've had in awhile...

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Also - curious as to what kind of rear tire clearance you have..?
Oh, somehow I missed this first time around. It should clear a 2.3 tire in the rear. I haven't tried it, but I have a 1.95 on there now, slammed, with tons of room.

And I found out that the frames were not sandblasted, but just given a phosphate finish. I've started to polish mine a bit, looks kinda cool.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Right on, Cru..... I'm really glad you're stoked. It's a great feeling! I can empathize, our trails are sick right now, and I'm super happy with my new frame too. :D