Quantcast

New Rear Shock Recomendation

rif

Chimp
Mar 25, 2015
pittsburgh, pa
Hey All,

I have a 2003 Giant AC Air with a Rockshox 2003 SID rear shock. I guess it works well enough but I would really like to replace it with something that'll lock out. I'd say my budget tops out at $400. I mostly ride North East rocks and roots but after an awesome trip out to Moab (borrowed a bike for the trip) I plan to do more traveling hitting more diverse dirt. Recommendations?

Thanks,

rif

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
because a suspension frame should be active when climbing. worst case is if your frame has bad climbing characteristics maybe you can adjust your riding technique when climbing, but to lock out the shock (a) reduces traction and (b) gives you an unnecessarily heavy hard tail.

What size is the shock you need?. I have several air shocks with different platforms / lock out settings.

rif

Chimp
Mar 25, 2015
pittsburgh, pa
because a suspension frame should be active when climbing. worst case is if your frame has bad climbing characteristics maybe you can adjust your riding technique when climbing, but to lock out the shock (a) reduces traction and (b) gives you an unnecessarily heavy hard tail.

What size is the shock you need?. I have several air shocks with different platforms / lock out settings.
Hey Nic,

Thanks for the response. I think it is a 7.5 or 7.87 x 2 or 2.25 I will have to measure when i get home later. And from what I understand the "lockout" feature that I am looking for isn't a true lockout (that would have the potential to damage the bike from what I understand) rather a switch to a much firmer feel, yea?

rif

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
some have a true lockout, many have increasing levels of compression damping.
If you need a 7.5x2" with a lock out as I've described above I have something for you. double check the size and get back to me if interested.

also, welcome to the ridemonkey. :thumb:

rif

Chimp
Mar 25, 2015
pittsburgh, pa
some have a true lockout, many have increasing levels of compression damping.
If you need a 7.5x2" with a lock out as I've described above I have something for you. double check the size and get back to me if interested.

also, welcome to the ridemonkey. :thumb:
Thank Nick,

Yup looks like a 7.5x2, whatcha got?

rif