Quantcast

New ride

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
Well I have been posting for a while. I originally posted some pictures of my GT. A few days ago I picked up a Giant from a friend. I had run into a snag while inflating the tires. But now I have that under control, and here are the pictures of it. It is a Giant Warp DS One. I know nothing about this bike. If anyone could fill me in on the pros and cons of this particular frame/bike, it would be greatly appreciated.

Let me know what you all think.

Parker

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Pro: It's a bike that works.
Con: Use it only for cross-country riding.

Pro: It will work great as long as you keep up the preventative maintenance.
Con: If you are planning on going down any hills, make sure you're under 180 lbs. and go easy on the bumps...

Pro: It will introduce you to a whole new world.
Con: If it breaks (I've had 3 Giants bust on me.... 2-AC's 1-Rainier But I'm 6'7" and 260....draw your own conclusions.. :help: ) you will be introduced to the ER staff...

All in all, it will be a nice bike for ya for awhile. Now you'll get addicted. It's a gateway bike....just like cigarettes are a gateway into heroin.

Have fun!! :)

-The Squirrel

BrandonWatts

Monkey
May 4, 2005
raymond, WA
that was the first bike i bought that started me mountian bikeing. i was a great bike i actually still have the frame. i beat the hell out of it until it broke on me right at where it Ys. have fun man!!!

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
i don't know crap about this bike but it sure does look awesome. reminds me of the sledge hammer in napoleon dynomite. cool bike man

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
you might want to go out and ride it a few times, and then come up with your own thoughts on it. bc a lot of people have different oppinions on how diff. bikes should feel. so i say to go out and try it for a while, then give us a report on it. or you know whatever

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
Well I have taken it out a few times and noticed a few things. First and foremost, the riding posture is much different. Something I am not used to yet. I dont know if it is supposed to feel different or not. I think some new handlebars, maybe some low rise ones might change that some too. It feels as though I am reaching further. I did notice that the wheelbase is longer than on my GT.

I am having problems with the front brakes. They are always engaged, and since I am a newb to all of this, I have no idea how to fix that. I have been messing around with the washers on the brakepad bolt, trying to get the pad physically further srom the rim, but to no avail.

Also, the shifters are off. I have an 8spd shifter, but a 7spd cassette. The shifting itself is off as well. I am guessing it is being caused by the shifter/cassette difference.

The reason I ask/tell about these problems is because I would rather fix them myself, than take them some where to get it looked at.

One last thing. Any estimates as to the year model of this bike? It has the same crankset as my GT, the SR Suntour XR17. So That got me wondering the age.

Thanks

Parker

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
On V- brakes there is a small screw on the side of it which controls the distance the pad is from the rim. Look at the wheel from the side and you should see the screw. If you screw it in the arm will move further away from the rim and vice versa. Kinda hard to explain but you should figure it out.

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
yeah its a spring controled mechonism that adjust the resistance that each side has when you pull it. trust me if you break on it screws your whole brake system up because ive done it.

also check you cables they may be sticky and not return to the open position after you squeeze the brakes.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Walk into your LBS and ask them if they give free estimates. If they do, have them look at the bike. Also try asking people that you meet in the woods that have "nice" bikes. I've found that mountain bikers tend to be a friendlier bunch than roadies. I'm also willing to help out any one that has bike issues.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
You should change your name to "the archeologist", you keep digging up all these old fossils.:rofl: Sweet bikey man, just like the GT though, don't get too caught up trying to replace too much for the bike. Just squeeze out as much riding on it as you can as is.:)