Quantcast

new to all this what bike should i get?

RMS

Chimp
May 9, 2004
Georgia
When i was a kid i raced bmx,but havent been on a bike in years.My son has a bike so i got a cheap mongoose from wal-mart and started riding with him.I have caught the riding bug again and want a good bike!
Im not sure what type i need, i want to do alot of rough trail riding ,there are a few jumps here and there on the trails i ride.I was looking at two Specailized bikes...the hardrock pro, and the 2004 p.2, but im not sure if those are what i need.Like i said i want to do alot of rough trail riding and there are a few jumps here and there,and i also do some street riding but mainly trail.My limit is about 1200 dollors but would like to stay around 650-800.
Thanks in advance for any imput

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
depends, if you want discs and a better fork, which in the long run will pay off, get the ds1 ($1000) ds2 has slightly cheaper pars and just has rim brakes($550) so its up to you.
________
Teen Cams

Last edited:

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
I'm riding a Specialized P.2 right now, and its a great bike. The only issue is the frame size, depending on your hight, the toptube might not be long enough.

fasterTHANyou

Monkey
Dec 12, 2003
washington dc
get something used... you can find some sweet older rigs in the buy and sell forum here. seems like every other day there is something in there worth looking at.

buy the best frame you can get for the money, then you can worry about upgradng parts later if you really want to.

i'd also get a hardtail. more bang for the buck, and not as much maintanance to worry about. and it'll make you a better rider. no sissy rear shock to make the trails easier ;)

:monkey:

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
get either a used 03 P2 long frame, or just go all out and get a 2004 P2 long frame. both would work fine, but the 04 comes with the boxguide chainguide, my friend just got the 04 p2 and its awesome, and very strong, made for jumpin and abuse.....good luck

RMS

Chimp
May 9, 2004
Georgia
I just got a 2004 p.2:) :D :p ,rode it around a little today feels good,thanks for the input from all who replied.I am looking at a 04 Raleigh M80 for general trail riding with my son and a few freinds that trail ride,seems like a great bike for the moeny,even has disc brakes,going to try to get it this week

Zippy357

Chimp
Dec 19, 2003
Mountlake Terrace WA
I have an 03 P2.

Great bike for only 700$
Advice: upgrade front fork(I busted mine last weekend)

Also look at the Transition(seattle based company) Trailor Park
400$ for an all cro-mo frame, real beefy.