Quantcast

New to Germany

vogey40

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Puyallup WA
Hey everyone Im Scott Ijust moved to germany from seattle wa. My bike hasnt made it here yet and I really want to ride so I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a good bike shop. I live in Vilseck. On the rose barracks u.s army base there. Thanks

dgrif

Monkey
Apr 12, 2006
colo spigs
unfortunatly you're pretty far from my end of the country(kaiserslautern), is the an ODR on your place? There is one shop in my town that is okay for xc kinda stuff but dh/fr is pretty hard to come by. Stuff on the economy is pretty expensive. I think its best to order online and have ODR or put it on. Or buy tools and learn to do the easy stuff yourself. What kinda ridin you into?

vogey40

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Puyallup WA
I ride a lot of dh/fr. I just got rid of my xc bike and am looking for a new one. I just bought a specialized p1 to hopefully learn some street with. I got a banshee scream that I ride dh/fr with.
How far away are you? Do you know any good places to ride, or people that I can hook up with? I dont speak a lot of German yet but I am learning.

dgrif

Monkey
Apr 12, 2006
colo spigs
Sorry man, forgot to subscribe to the thread. I'm not sure of freeride stuff to hitup, but there are several resorts with lifts. Check out these links, several good ones. For local stuff.. i guess you'll have to learn german.. i havent taken the time, but theres gotta be other stuff out here. I live in Kaiserslautern, i believe its a hike from you. I'd be willing to meet ya or whatever if you wanna ride somewhere tho, we got a lil bit longer before the really ****ty weather gets here. just msg me if you wanna ride sometime.

grif

PaleRider

Chimp
Aug 29, 2006
Oberursel, Germany
Wow, weird stuff mang. My name is Scott and im from Auburn WA. anyways i live around Frankfurt. If your going to buy a bike over here i would definitely buy one online because the prices are considerably cheaper. As far as riding goes well theres about 31 bike parks in germany. Some really nice stuff. Ive only been to winterberg and it was sick. I planned on going to some other ones this summer but the weather has sucked. im not really familiar with Vilseck area but i think its kind of close to Munich if so you might want to check out a bike park called Todtnau. There should be lots of FR/DH stuff in that area. I speak german so if you need any help i can help you out there. If you need any repair, service, or replacement stuff for shocks or anything for your Banshee you can get it from www.shock-therapy.com Germans are pretty protective of anything they build locally because Forest laws are so strict, so bike parks are probably your best bet.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
if ur near munich try the bikepark in oberammergau, it's near austria in the alpes (still germay), other good parks are in austria like, saalbach, schladming, leogang and wagrain...

PaleRider

Chimp
Aug 29, 2006
Oberursel, Germany
my bad man...todtnau is by Swizzzerland. You be by Czech. There supposed to be some nice bike parks right across the czech-german border. I read about it in a magazine ill have to see if i still have it layin around.

dgrif

Monkey
Apr 12, 2006
colo spigs
we should organize a ride, not this weekend, but next, like the
30th(ish). anybody up for it? I'm western .de kinda close to Saarbrücken, we could all meet down south somewhere or somewhere in the middle? anybody up for it?

NJ Jess

Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
mtbnj.com
I love this thread. My sister lives in Baden-Baden (southern germany). I visit most every year and ride with the ADFC nearly everyday. My sister isn't into sports and couldn't believe I wanted to do XC in Germany. I went to tons of bike shops, but they could only direct me to bike parks. I didn't know there were so many in germany. When I visit this coming summer, I hope to ride with some of you folks. I have a Rocky Mountain Switch with 5 inch travel and a Racer X Titus. How would I ship them? Thanks

dgrif

Monkey
Apr 12, 2006
colo spigs
Hmmm.. thats a good question. How long you visiting for.. you wanna ship both bikes? Maybe ask lbs for a box or two and ship it to her house? Otherwise shell out the $ for couple of those nifty cases and pay for the extra luggage on the plane. If you mail em tho, better send em a month or so in advance so ya know they'll make it there before you :)

NJ Jess

Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
mtbnj.com
Yes, I will probably travel with my Titus XC bike, but ship my road bike. (Can't be with out bike, get withdraws, ya know). I'm sending Christmas gift over this week too. It does take a long time to get where they are going. Currently, I need both to finish my XC season. More later, Jess

dgrif

Monkey
Apr 12, 2006
colo spigs
heh.. guess we shoulda checked some german boards before we planned that eh? Who woulda thought the german downhill finals woulda been today where we decided to go. just my f'n luck.

k9handler

Monkey
Aug 19, 2004
Fort Collins, CO
Funny Grif, yeah that is the best way to build rapport with the dogs...lol What's the best way to keep a dog from humping your leg? Suck him off first! Ok enough sick K9 humor...we need to ride soon!