Quantcast

New "trail bike" for 2016 thread

Josef

Monkey
Apr 17, 2013

This little treasure arrived at my doorstep yesterday. XL Yeti SB5.5. The reverb is going to go (may be an idiot beta tester, read "early adopter") for the new Fox dropper. Going to stick with the GX build for the time being and then possibly swap it out for the XT di stuff this fall.

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Awesome rig and awesomer pup. I know that thousand yard stare well...if my trail bandit hears a freehub it's immediate go time or there is hell to pay.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
*sigh*

Why mountain biking will always look stupid from the outside. Dear companies: This makes me want to kick your bikes, not buy them.

I dunno... is he pedaling out of a corner (approved), or he leading outside foot forward (not approved)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I dunno... is he pedaling out of a corner (approved), or he leading outside foot forward (not approved)
You do know that greater lean angles can allow you to corner without dropping the outside foot? Check out a pump track ;)

But I digress, there is a whole lot of not approved in that picture.

Pashley 24Mhz

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Belgium, Europe
Bring on the haters! :brows::brows::brows:

Got my new bike last week, after 8 months of waiting... Not lazy, just a shitload of health problems and still wanting to ride...

Anyone also running the Float X Factory Evol shock? 77kg, and have already 250psi in it, en it goes veeeeeeery easy trough its travel...

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria

Got my new bike last week, after 8 months of waiting... Not lazy, just a shitload of health problems and still wanting to ride...

Anyone also running the Float X Factory Evol shock? 77kg, and have already 250psi in it, en it goes veeeeeeery easy trough its travel...
You forgot the 137 kg of the mot... ahm, bike. :busted:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Do you plan taking it off some sweet jumps?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
On a bit more serious approach, you happen to have access to a non EVOL air can for the Float? Maybe the extra volume negative chamber is a bit to responsive for this kind of... bike.

Pashley 24Mhz

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Belgium, Europe
Weight isn't much different from my DH bikes back in the day :bonk:.

Sold my M6 and 303 last year, so yeah, planning on using it for everything, from xc loops, to bikeparks. Switched rides this weekend with my buddy on his YT, and apart from te weight, they had a pretty similar riding position.

No acces to a non-Evol shock at the moment...

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Loving the clean lines of the bike, but why the heck they did this?
"The F.O.L.D. system's travel can be viewed as two phases. Along the first phase of travel, the system is regressive with the aim to make a super sensitive beginning stroke to absorb small bumps and increase traction towards the sag point"

minus the concentric pivot
A Black Market Roam.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Getting this thing back on track.

After months of accumulating parts to make the (grudging) jump to 27.5, I finally got this thing put together. It will be replacing a 3 year old Spitfire which I loved but which will live on since my buddies and I are going to take it, cobble a complete bike together and gift it to a young local shredder in need of a new rig. First ride this weekend...
Lucky kid, props for doing that. Is it the new or old Spitfire?
I figured I'd give an update as we finally scrounged enough parts to get my old spitfire running again. It is now a new trail bike for Sam who shreds but needs a new rig. See him on one of the trails @jackalope and work on here:

The Spitty is a bit of a frankenbike at the moment but should serve him better than his former bike--you can see his beat to hell 2009 C'dale Perp in the vid. Admittedly, it does not appear to hold him back but the drivetrain, brakes and suspension all qualify as legitimately dangerous at this point. Anyhow, here is the first (and hopefully not the last) gift bike I've been a part of.

FullSizeRender (1).jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

I figured I'd give an update as we finally scrounged enough parts to get my old spitfire running again. It is now a new trail bike for Sam who shreds but needs a new rig. See him on one of the trails @jackalope and work on here:

The Spitty is a bit of a frankenbike at the moment but should serve him better than his former bike--you can see his beat to hell 2009 C'dale Perp in the vid. Admittedly, it does not appear to hold him back but the drivetrain, brakes and suspension all qualify as legitimately dangerous at this point. Anyhow, here is the first (and hopefully not the last) gift bike I've been a part of.

View attachment 122696 View attachment 122697
I have beer and I'd give it to you, if I could. Well done.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

View attachment 122696 View attachment 122697
seems to have worked out better than the transition preston we put together for a local guy a few years back...i do believe he quit riding not long thereafter...