Quantcast

New "trail bike" for 2016 thread

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
As someone who also rocked said bike named after a rich white kid lacrosse player, I will say it was a progressive, if poorly executed, design for the time. A burly 5 incher with "aggressive" geometry that could be pedaled (albeit with a fair bit of effort) and thrashed. Basically the forerunner to the Mk1 Spitty. But like like most/all of Tranny's stuff in those days, it was comically heavy and to make matters worse, came with a fucking Romic self-exploding shock. Still, RM's very own @Greyhound frequently got rad on his black beauty back in the day...Behold!

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
^^^ 10 of 10 would bang. Hell of a journey from the Preston to the Scout/Patrol! If I got yet another bike (that I don't need) it would be a Scout.

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Actually I would argue that colorway is an abject failure of freedom. Throw on some white rims and maybe a couple pissed off eagle stickers, then you'd have a legitimately patriotic Patrol. Only Jeremy R can make America great again.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Actually I would argue that colorway is an abject failure of freedom. Throw on some white rims and maybe a couple pissed off eagle stickers, then you'd have a legitimately patriotic Patrol. Only Jeremy R can make America great again.
Please make America great again but not referring to a color as a colorway...

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
And that is different from nearly everyone on RM how? :D
Well, let me be different

I had a Yeti ASX that sucked
I never gelled with my Morewood Makula
I hated my Specialized Enderp
I had a Kona Scab that was so-so
My DH9 was definately not my favorite
My Dirt Works Piranha was not a fav either
My Morewood Shova was so-so
My Morewood Mbzui was better than so-so

I would say of all my bikes my 2005 Yeti DJ has been my favorite followed by my Morewood Izimu(s). The Chromag is creeping up but needs another 10 years of use to surpass the DJ.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
@Jeremy R, I remember reading your rationale for buying a Scout over a Patrol last time. Now that you're on the Patrol, how would you compare the two?
Yes, I loved the Scout, but I was totally off on my initial e-opinion of the Patrol. I thought it would be too big and long of a bike for around here. First off, this bike built up light. It was 26.9 with the thomson post, and 27.7 with a dropper. I think the most surprising thing about the bike though is how fun and fast it feels on tame and rolling hill type trails. Between the carbon frame and the float x2 shock which has a really lively feel. And at speed and in the rough stuff, it just has a really stable feel to it. It is just a very comfortable bike to ride. The second ride on it was a 25 mile death march in the heat, and I finished up the ride feeling less beat up than before. It is not an apples to apples comparison to Scout, with the Patrol being carbon and lighter and all, but I feel like I went to more capable bike without giving up anything that I liked about the Scout.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Well, let me be emo

I had a Yeti ASX that sucked
I never gelled with my Morewood Makula
I hated my Specialized Enderp
I had a Kona Scab that was so-so
My DH9 was definately not my favorite
My Dirt Works Piranha was not a fav either
My Morewood Shova was so-so
My Morewood Mbzui was better than so-so

I would say of all my bikes my 2005 Yeti DJ has been my favorite followed by my Morewood Izimu(s). The Chromag is creeping up but needs another 10 years of use to surpass the DJ.
Fixed!!!

But for real, I was under the impression you liked your SB66 (well, at least the way it rode), even if it didn't have a patriotic colourway (<-- extraneous "u" added in honor of Brexit and per kidwoo's anglophile preferences)

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Yes, I loved the Scout, but I was totally off on my initial e-opinion of the Patrol. I thought it would be too big and long of a bike for around here. First off, this bike built up light. It was 26.9 with the thomson post, and 27.7 with a dropper. I think the most surprising thing about the bike though is how fun and fast it feels on tame and rolling hill type trails. Between the carbon frame and the float x2 shock which has a really lively feel. And at speed and in the rough stuff, it just has a really stable feel to it. It is just a very comfortable bike to ride. The second ride on it was a 25 mile death march in the heat, and I finished up the ride feeling less beat up than before. It is not an apples to apples comparison to Scout, with the Patrol being carbon and lighter and all, but I feel like I went to more capable bike without giving up anything that I liked about the Scout.
That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks, much appreciated.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Fixed!!!

But for real, I was under the impression you liked your SB66 (well, at least the way it rode), even if it didn't have a patriotic colourway (<-- extraneous "u" added in honor of Brexit and per kidwoo's anglophile preferences)
The SB is a good bike, but there are some things I would change. For what it is, there isn't a single thing on the DJ I would change. The Chromag may surpass the DJ, some day, but it's got years to prove its self.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I feel like I went to more capable bike without giving up anything that I liked about the Scout.
I demo'd a Scout for a long days riding. I threw a little bit of pretty much everything I regularly ride into the mix and by half way through the day kinda wanted to take it back. The Scout just didn't seem to have any of the qualities I wanted from a shorter travel bike and I remember thinking anyone who buys one might as well have bought a Patrol instead. don't get me wrong here. The Scout is a very capable bike it just wasn't what I was after. The whole reason I wanted something short travel was for it to be sprinty, nimble, poppy and playful... I just didn't think it did any of that too well. A li'l bit of me would still like to try the small* Scout to see if it improves things on that front but it'd also need a firmer shock and I can't see those two things aligning very often especially in a shop demo bike.

(*I demo'd a medium and the guys in the shop wouldn't stop going on at me that I should be on a large #Fashion :( )

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I demo'd a Scout for a long days riding. I threw a little bit of pretty much everything I regularly ride into the mix and by half way through the day kinda wanted to take it back. The Scout just didn't seem to have any of the qualities I wanted from a shorter travel bike and I remember thinking anyone who buys one might as well have bought a Patrol instead. don't get me wrong here. The Scout is a very capable bike it just wasn't what I was after. The whole reason I wanted something short travel was for it to be sprinty, nimble, poppy and playful... I just didn't think it did any of that too well. A li'l bit of me would still like to try the small* Scout to see if it improves things on that front but it'd also need a firmer shock and I can't see those two things aligning very often especially in a shop demo bike.

(*I demo'd a medium and the guys in the shop wouldn't stop going on at me that I should be on a large #Fashion :( )
Hey, of course it is possible that you just didn't like the bike. We all prefer different things and all that, but it does sound like something was off on your test ride. I can't help but wonder if it was the shock, either setup wrong or maybe you prefer a shock with more support. I ran the CC inline on my Scout the whole time I had it, and hardly had any movement from pedaling and weight shifts. The geometry kept it nimble and it was a fun playful bike for sure. Then again, don't you prefer steel hardtails? Nothing is as playful as poppy as those.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah.. the shock definitely needed more support.
The guys in the shop assured me there was nothing wrong with the Monarch. But they couldn't get their heads round why I didn't even want to consider a Large or wanted my tyres at 32 and 40 psi either.
Yeah. I ride stiff l'il DJ hardtails 90% of the time so am a hard customer to deal with.

I did later find the (almost) perfect bike for what I was after. A 2014 (26") Rose Jester. A bike that loses out to the scout in straightline speed and stability through chop but for my use makes up for those shortcomings in every other way.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Had to send this bad boy away since I only had it for a month but will soon be posting a full review. Great little bike but switch the seat fast if you ever want to pedal seated.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Great. My junk under represented again.

Story of my life.

Whatever. Here's a fuckin bike

PLASTIC WHEELS for Christ sake.....you can just send me the $2000 and I will get you some aluminum wheels that will last next time.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Teeee. The lower model.
Kinda funny, I was just looking at the 140mm one when you put that pic up. Looks fun.

PLASTIC WHEELS for Christ sake.....you can just send me the $2000 and I will get you some aluminum wheels that will last next time.
I kill aluminum ones faster.

I broke one and while I was waiting on a replacement, I built up a wtb 23mm frequency. Literally the fist descent on the first ride, I ripped a tire and flatspotted the wheel. Straight gauge spokes etc....

They're worth it just for what I save in replacing tires. Still not a single flat in 2 years.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

I broke one and while I was waiting on a replacement, I built up a wtb 23mm frequency. Literally the fist descent on the first ride, I ripped a tire and flatspotted the wheel. Straight gauge spokes etc....

They're worth it just for what I save in replacing tires. Still not a single flat in 2 years.
I was a little skeptical too, then I bought a used set for cheap (because nobody wants 26" shit anymore) and they're fucking great. I've got two sets now and have beat the absolute shit out of them for a few years and they've held up great. I have flatted once or twice, but a lot less than I used to.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Have seen most brands break around here under faster guys. I ride somewhat hack and will slam into larger rocks on accasion and hit rims hard. I rode those DERBY DH's for 3 months and didnt have an issue. But with the new EASTON ARC's being so cheap, light and wide I am sticking that route...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yes, everything is breakabru. But I was at the point of riding heavy ass rims and dh tire casings on my trail bike just to consistently finish rides without changing a tire all the time. The enves greatly improved that. And you can hold a drift across a bunch a chatter like a motherfucker with those things.

So nyeah........:D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Kinda funny, I was just looking at the 140mm one when you put that pic up. Looks fun.

in somewhat related news:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/06/30/m60-forty-plus-widens-the-enve-m-series-of-carbon-wheels/

The latest carbon hoop from ENVE is rolling out of shops as we speak. Not surprisingly, this time it’s an even wider version of their M60 Forty for, what else? Plus bikes. We’ve been seeing teasers of the new wheel and then finally got a chance to see it in person on both the Open One+ above and another soon-to-be-released bike from a different brand. Much like the original M60 Forty, the M60 Plus is meant for aggressive riders who still want to use a plus tire in the neighborhood of 2.8 to 3.0″.
:rofl: