Quantcast

new transition DH bike

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Dude, the BR is a 5" bike and this is an 8" bike. They're gonna feel way way different.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
with the way the shock mounted on the gran mal there was only a size long and size short frame, riders wanted a DH bike for all size riders, with the mounting on this frame they offer a small, medium and large now

Eren

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
that looks soooooo fast!!

I think I might gotta pitch my Sunday for that machiiiine!

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
seat all the way foreward, post all the way down, little chainring

makes the bike look big but rigged for a weeee person. Kinda reminds me of some 10y.o. rocking a big ol' ghetto 10 speed..just needs upside down bars to complete the look.

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
The BLOG from Transition points out all the differences and why they made the changes. its nice to have a company really listen to the people who ride there stuff or want to ride there stuff and make the needed changes. i really like the GranMal but i think the new Blindside has some really nice improvements. sweet rig!!

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
follow the link to the blog. it explains a bunch.

it is a rough looking proto. i do like the BR style aesthetics better than the old gran mal look. the high COG may not be ideal, but i am curious what the geo numbers are like. it could be a great hit with the kids. particularly if it has a more BR style geometry and a good price point.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I'm surprised people make such a big deal about COG on a frame when their entire upper body is above the top tube...I have a bigger problem with what looks like a pretty high standover than the actual COG. Sure lower COG is better, but I'd say that geometry, frame weight, suspension design, customer service and price trump that...I'm holding out judgement until we see a final version.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
good points Subop. however, i think the COG impacts how the bike feels when you "work it" on the trail and in the air. regardless, i do agree the other points will trump the COG issue.

i also don't think you need to worry about standover. the transition kids have been good about making low standover bikes.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
I dig it, but it reminds me of a single-pivot, non-adjustable Nicolai Helius ST (the Nicolai as a 1.5 HT option). Hopefully it'll be a bit less expensive.

edit: a travel adjust option without changing the geo on the Transition would be awesome...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I think the boys at Nicolai just REALLY like to drill holes in stuff, thus need to charge more to make up for the labor time.

I don't think Kevin and Kyle are trying to produce ground-breaking products, I think they are trying to produce reliable, thought-out products built on rider input at a non-retarded price point.
I have been wanting to get back into a Transition for quite awhile now, but I wanted a tad more travel than what the BR provided, and the Gran Mal was too damn big with a crappy standover, especially for a 5'8" migit like myself. The Blindside might be my welcome back model. But first I need to blow up the Avy on my Enduro SX to justify selling it! Ha! Sucks for me!

And COG? Sounds like when the racer bois tell you they can "totally feel the difference" in their cornering abilities with a Ti spring... W.E. The BB height is the only thing you're going to notice.
So...how much were they looking at for prices on the Intense Solcom, or the 66 SS? They seem kinda silly now...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
That bike looks fun. Interesting that they care about a front der and full seat tube on it but I guess it's intended to be more versatile than pure DH.

I think a lower COG is definitely a plus. Among other reasons, whipping a bike through twisty turns takes a lot of side-to-side motion, and the lower the COG the easier it should be because you are moving the bulk of the weight less. That said, it's a matter of degree and a low COG should not come at the expense of, say, putting a huge hole in your downtube. (<cough cough GIANT cough>)

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
You mean... The infamous Giant Boner??? I saw a full-frontal pic one time of one manualing toward the camera...I still feel dirty...*sob,sob*sniff* it was pointed right at me! I must shower now...again...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
You mean... The infamous Giant Boner??? I saw a full-frontal pic one time of one manualing toward the camera...I still feel dirty...*sob,sob*sniff* it was pointed right at me! I must shower now...again...
Hahaha, nice.

Gnurider, I may be wrong but I don't think so. There was an issue related to the VPP patents but it was about the linkage configuration and they changed the design to avoid conflict. I'm kinda sorta joking anyway and presume they beefed it up it other ways to account for the "compromised structural integrity." And by all accounts the Maestro bikes are pretty sweet to ride.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I'm surprised people make such a big deal about COG on a frame when their entire upper body is above the top tube...I have a bigger problem with what looks like a pretty high standover than the actual COG. Sure lower COG is better, but I'd say that geometry, frame weight, suspension design, customer service and price trump that...I'm holding out judgement until we see a final version.
low centre of gravity also makes for a much more stable feeling bike, and standover is huge, I love how I can throw my bb7 around and not bash my knees off the 'toptube'.......I don't know how you could think things that so greatly affect handling could be insignificant over the things you listed.......if the ride quality is diminished, CS and price don't mean sh!t....

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
If you read my post again, you'd see we agree about the importance of standover. And I never said that COG was insignificant, I merely stated that there are other considerations that contribute more to my opinion of a frame. I contend that with most of your body weight far above top tube, a couple pounds moving around will not have an enormous impact...thus, I don't buy that COG is as big a deal as it is made out to be...certainly not a bigger consideration IMHO than geometry, which has a huge impact on handling, as can the suspension design. The other stuff like CS and price are matters of personal preference...its just as easy for me to say that a well designed 6000 dollar frame with no one standing behind it is worthless since hardly anyone can afford it and if somethign goes wrong you're SOL.

Bottom line, its all personal preference...you have yours, I've got mine.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Pfft - put a DHX Air on that and a Saint crankset and you've reversed the COG anyway... Sheesh.

A geo breakdown would be nice but it certainly has the potential to be a fun little bike.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
IMO CoG is huge. When I changed my seat/post setup from a Flite/Thomson to a lighter I-fly/I-beam, I noticed a huge difference in handling. It wasn't a placebo effect either, as I wasn't expecting a handling difference at all.