Quantcast

new/used (budget) dually

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
i will be getting a new fully at the beginning of summer and i am deciding between 2 bikes. i dont have too many other options becasue i have ~1000 to spend. no more. no job either. so i am putting what money i do have into dually. i have 2 options i figure. there is a cheeta prowler complete on here for 625 in need of some love. also, i was considering a bighit spec and putting on a romic and a jr. t. does anyone have any other sugg.? i am leaning towards the prowler right now bec. its cheaper and it ahs more travel. also, this bike has to be freeride-able and able for some dh/trails. so that said, let the opinions roll in!

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I saw these little rice rockets on sale in the mall this weekend, they were only like $300 and they had suspension and they ran on unleaded gas.

I think you should get what you can find at that price it's going to be slim pickings for a complete bike. Personally I'd resign to only be able to afford a mediocre trailbike or an antiquated DH bike. Either that or you could just upgrade your current bike, or cannibilize it to put together a fully.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
stoney98 said:
I'd spent about $700 on a nice fr/trail frame, then use the rest to build a "semi-build" so when you want ot use your HT, you move the front end to that bike and vice verse. I've done this quite a bit. Had one complete bike, and anotehr 1/2 bike. The 1/2 bike w/ same speed shifter/der, rear brake, HS, etc.
Then have common parts:
Fork
Wheels
Front brake
Pedals
Bar/stem

I take it to the next level and use commom cranks/bash guard and seat/post.
Takes about 25 min to switch bikes, but it saves ALOT in principle investment.

That sounds like a PITA. I would be careful about changing certain parts often. Cranks for instance, can become worn out quickly by pulling them on and off. I guess you do what you gotta do to ride.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
buildyourown said:
That sounds like a PITA. I would be careful about changing certain parts often. Cranks for instance, can become worn out quickly by pulling them on and off. I guess you do what you gotta do to ride.
yeah if the stuff is old square taper

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
stoney98 said:
I'd spent about $700 on a nice fr/trail frame, then use the rest to build a "semi-build"...
I take it to the next level and use commom cranks/bash guard and seat/post.
Takes about 25 min to switch bikes, but it saves ALOT in principle investment.
Wow. I'm so lazy that I'd rather ride XC on a DH bike than go through that every time I wanted to switch bikes. I'm the stupid kind of lazy and make more work for myself in the long run, I guess.

I was too lazy to even switch wheelsets (and switch the cassette) on my RFX for DH and XC rides (well, that and I was really worried I'd kill the xc wheelset...)

MD

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I just got back from a trail ride with some drops thrown in on my 2002 Cheeta Prowler with romic shock and a 2002 WB DH2 fork on it and let me tell you it was a helluva fun ride!

The bike can definitely be pedaled on the trails for aggressive trail riding and Freeriding and I feel really good based on how it performed on the downhill sections of trail (mind you they weren't Platty DH sections) that this bike will serve me well on the mountains.

What an awesome night out on the trails! I'm stoked! :cool: :dancing:

So that Prowler might not be a bad option at all assuming that the problems are only minor and that you can locate a spare derailleur hangar for it. I have a spare and I may take it to a CNC shop to have a few extras made for it.

All in all I give the Prowler two thumbs up.

Just my two cents!

Mark

offdawalley

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
hella over the rainbow
you couldn't get a big hit spec with a jr. t and a romic, the stock big hit is like 900, get a used razor scooter, or you could go with the rice rocket idea. Even better, listen to that monkey monkeyboy424, or u could get a used stinky

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
i've never ridden one but there is some company that sells KHS Fr1500 often on ebay for $300-$350 i would think that would be a lot better than a big hit spec then you could switch parts from an old bike and have about $700 for new parts Sorry i forgot, thats $300-$350 for just the frame and fox vanilla shock
________
Head Shop

Last edited:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Hey, I am doing to exact same thing right now, except I think I have a slightly bigger budget. BUT, the main thing is that I can't afford to go buy a new DH rig no matter how much I want to... the wife won't let me! So I have been searching e-bay like non-stop. I almost got in trouble at work cause I was surfing ebay instead of working. But so far I have got some great deals and in the end I am going to end up with a sweet 2001 Yeti DH9 rig. So far I have bought the frame, rear wheel, headset, h-bars, and cranks. When it's all done I will be posting some pix and a price list of everything I bought. I am having to keep two things in mind as I am buying my parts. 1) This is my first DH rig... It's not going to be the best. You don't need a new DH9, or a Foes, etc., for your first DH rig. (though it would be nice) 2)Even though I really want to, I am not racing, and if I do it's going to be in the beginner class. My livlihood is not racing, and I am not at a level where my equipment is holding me back.

What I am trying to do is build a solid, reliable, semi high performance rig that I can learn on and that can take me a long way. (And it's gotta be sexy. Man, you just can't ignore style points!)

So personally, I would recommend the ebay route. There is someone on there right now selling a set of almost new Azonic cranks with an MRP chainguide for like 80.00 bucks. They look like they are in good shape too. I picked up my Titec Hell Bent H-bars for 9.99. Not bad,eh? Keep posting, I would like to know how it goes for you.

Ciaran...