Quantcast

***New Years Eve GMT***

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
'Morning, and congrats to you guys for making through another year. I ran another cold af 5 miles this morning. 8 degrees wasn't too bad, but the -10 wind chill was rough but thankfully only kicked up a few times. Headed to VT now for NYE festivities which will no doubt include a 9:30 bed time.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I think I just ate too much sausage at the hotel breakfast thing...

It's a lot colder here than yesterday, but riding is on tap.
whatcha hitting? did your friends like bailey?

hanging with fam and inlaws this AM, headed to museum of life and science with kiddos in the PM. feeling anxious/edgy for some reason. hrmf.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
whatcha hitting? did your friends like bailey?

hanging with fam and inlaws this AM, headed to museum of life and science with kiddos in the PM. feeling anxious/edgy for some reason. hrmf.
Taking it easy today, going to start at the Fish Hatchery and ride the loop @Dirtrider took us on last year; Cove Creek -> Daniels Ridge -> Long Branch and back to the car on Butter and Cat Gap.

Buddies texts have been sparse, but they loved Bailey. They are heading to Windrock today. Kind of wishing I had room to bring the DH bike.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
8F outside and a ride in 60 minutes. Not sure if toe warmers in dh shoes will be up to the task or if I shall pick different boots instead. :think:

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
It’s like 60 out right now, leaving for my first ride in three weeks due to lasik surgery and a bad fork. So we’re doing a better ride shuttle ride. Beer can chicken around the house tonight. I hope I don’t make it to midnight.

By the way it’s my second beer can chicken, any good tip? I put garlic in the last one I did, right in the beer.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'd just like to wish mmike and the other 377 people listed on the home page who turn 48 today a merry new year.

epoch time ftw

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Isn't there a bunch of CO monkeys in highland ranch? Stay safe...

Took my kids to redeem their good behaviour rewards this morning. Going to a trampoline park now. I hope it's not too busy.

Congratulations to all of us for making it around the sun one more time... May 2018 be better than 2017.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I did rut the shit out of the frozen lakes today (literally - some areas are covered with mysterious 2" deep slush with standing water). It was a bit chilly and windy but fun.

Yes there was a guy kite skating on the smooth ice area.

It was so weird. 2" of slush with solid ice underneath. Grabbed the wheels and soaked shoes, then refroze instantly. Gave me the Willies!
Worst I have hit was on Lake Champlain, one sheet of ice subducting under another. Ramp up. front wheel over, winds up in 18" of ice water. Rode back north to Potash bay, tried a westerly run, came to open water a mile out, decided to bag it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Dinner, drinks and a show with a rather nice lady last night. Had a genuinely good time. She called me this morning to see if I was interested in a hike then went on an hour long rant about her emotional entanglement with some married dude in Amsterdam.

Needless to say my injured foot flared up and there is no hike in my near future.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Bikes were ridden, icey roots were slipped on and rocks were smashed off the bike.

Good day here in Brevard, although it was cold as fack. We definitely saw some snow flakes falling.

We decided to bike up the road and did all of Long Branch. After starting pretty mellow and with a climb, that trail drops straight into what I can only call a leaf filled ditch going down the hill. Hilarious. :rofl:

This time around, there were no hikers in the rocks on Daniels.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Dinner, drinks and a show with a rather nice lady last night. Had a genuinely good time. She called me this morning to see if I was interested in a hike then went on an hour long rant about her emotional entanglement with some married dude in Amsterdam.
Better than listening to the rant from the other side of your bed, though, eh? :brows:

You are wise beyond your years...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

Needless to say my injured foot flared up and there is no hike in my near future.
:fie:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Went for a solid ride in some fun conditions. I am currently being used as a lay-z boy by my eldest while he rots his brain watching yet more TV. Someone ought to do something...

Both kids are sick, the youngest is a mess and can’t stop coughing. Poor kid...

A very quiet evening chez Peach ce soir.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego

Clearly not a lady. A lady never tells.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Bikes were ridden, icey roots were slipped on and rocks were smashed off the bike.

Good day here in Brevard, although it was cold as fack. We definitely saw some snow flakes falling.

We decided to bike up the road and did all of Long Branch. After starting pretty mellow and with a climb, that trail drops straight into what I can only call a leaf filled ditch going down the hill. Hilarious. :rofl:

This time around, there were no hikers in the rocks on Daniels.
Only been up Long Branch, but yeah, that's an accurate description. Butter Gap is a fun DH and with Cat Gap being open until April, you can bomb down it. Totally worth the 40 min gravel climb from Daniel Ridge parking lot. Although it tends to stay wet and has a large rock face (with a sneak) that being frozen could be more "entertaining".

I highly recommend this loop: park at Horse Stables and climb Clawhammer. Left on Black then down Avery Creek. Left on dirt road back to stables. The upper section of Avery is blown the fuck out and is some straight up fall line, ravine littered with rawks and root drops riding at mach stupid speeds.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006

Just go with it man, crazy sex is best sex. Of course, if she's a redhead, there might be a need for a restraining order at some point.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Only been up Long Branch, but yeah, that's an accurate description. Butter Gap is a fun DH and with Cat Gap being open until April, you can bomb down it. Totally worth the 40 min gravel climb from Daniel Ridge parking lot. Although it tends to stay wet and has a large rock face (with a sneak) that being frozen could be more "entertaining".

I highly recommend this loop: park at Horse Stables and climb Clawhammer. Left on Black then down Avery Creek. Left on dirt road back to stables. The upper section of Avery is blown the fuck out and is some straight up fall line, ravine littered with rawks and root drops riding at mach stupid speeds.
Wanted to try that loop, but will have to wait for next time. On Wednesday when the rest of the party is here, we're going to go back across Clawhammer to Black. And maybe back up for Bennet??

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
B

She could be trying to set up a threesome (or more...) I say do it - life is for the living!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Weather turned cold and the temp on my Garmin dropped to 5Freedums and was still dropping and playing catchup as we got home so I'm not sure what it would have bottomed out at other than facking cold.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Wanted to try that loop, but will have to wait for next time. On Wednesday when the rest of the party is here, we're going to go back across Clawhammer to Black. And maybe back up for Bennet??
If you really want to hit all the goods in that area and demoralize your friends with a masochistic amount of climbing then give this loop a try. It took me seven hours, including stops, in warm weather.

Park at Horse Stables.
Up Clawhammer.
L on Black.
L on Avery.
R on 477, ride past Bennet Gap and continue on 477.
R on Club Gap.
R on Buckwheat Knob.
Cross 477 onto Bennet Gap.
L on 477 back to Horse Stables.