Quantcast

New York to Open First U.S. Public School for Gays

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Why exactly do homosexuals need their own school? Do they learn differently? Do the progress faster or slower than straight kids? Do people think homosexuals need to be segregated?

New York to Open First U.S. Public School for Gays
Mon Jul 28, 1:12 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A school in New York's Greenwich Village will reopen in September as America's first publicly run high school for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender students, officials said on Monday.

Although The Harvey Milk School has been operating with two classrooms for 20 years, $3.2 million is being spent by the City to expand it to take 100 students. Named after a gay San Francisco politician assassinated in 1978, the school will be funded jointly by the city education department and a gay rights youth advocacy group.

"Everybody feels that it's a good idea because some of the kids who are gays and lesbians have been constantly harassed and beaten in other schools and this lets them get an education without having to worry," Mayor Michael Bloomberg told reporters at his daily briefing on Monday.

But the head of the New York State Conservative Party said the school was a waste of tax dollars.

"This makes absolutely no sense," Long told the New York Post newspaper. "There's no reason these children should be treated separately."

The school's first principal is William Salzman, a former Wall Street executive who has recently worked as an assistant high school principal.

Salzman was quoted in Monday's New York Post as saying, "This school will be a model for the country and possibly the world."

It will specialize in computer technology, art and culinary programs. It will also follow the education department's new mandatory English language and mathematics programs.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Christ, I'm usually on the liberal side of these things, but why would you purposefully force "seperate but equal" onto YOURSELF?!?

Such a short-sighted way to try and solve a problem...

By the way, this thread has Political Forum stapled right to its waxed chest.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by ohio
Christ, I'm usually on the liberal side of these things, but why would you purposefully force "seperate but equal" onto YOURSELF?!?

Such a short-sighted way to try and solve a problem...

By the way, this thread has Political Forum stapled right to its waxed chest.
Damnit, I thought I put it there...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Ok, here goes.....

first off... [-----------------------------censored until moved to the political forum-----------------------------------------------------]

-and that's all i have to say about that-

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by Tenchiro
It will specialize in computer technology, art and culinary programs.
I think it's a winner! But they need to swap computer technology for fashion design.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Oh MAN!!!

I cant wait til this gets moved to the political forum...but in the meantime.

THEIR FOOTBALL TEAM IS GOING TO SUCK!!!!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by BurlySurly
However, teaching lesbian sex ed would be pretty fun.
Now you're thinking! :D

Originally posted by Serial Midget
The above comments speak for themselves... and are probably part of the reason why some think the scholl is a good idea. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So much for RM enlightenment. :p
oh, alright, we'll talk seriously for a moment about this...

First, I'm a bit surprised you'd take the slightest bit offense at some of the jokes as suggested by your :rolleyes: After all, your "Injun" joke was funny and you knew ahead of time it was gonna be inflamatory.

Second, it's a very bad idea for any group to segregate themselves in such fashion except for those few schools who do it by gender. As for being teased in school... gays are NO different than any other group. How about fat kids pretending to wield a lightsaber? What's the lesson being taught to gays? Hey, if you feel like you're being picked on, run away :rolleyes:

And how long will it be before a hetero sues to be let into the school? Ya know some will do it just cuz.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by LordOpie
Now you're thinking! :D

oh, alright, we'll talk seriously for a moment about this...

First, I'm a bit surprised you'd take the slightest bit offense at some of the jokes as suggested by your :rolleyes: After all, your "Injun" joke was funny and you knew ahead of time it was gonna be inflamatory.

Second, it's a very bad idea for any group to segregate themselves in such fashion except for those few schools who do it by gender. As for being teased in school... gays are NO different than any other group. How about fat kids pretending to wield a lightsaber? What's the lesson being taught to gays? Hey, if you feel like you're being picked on, run away :rolleyes:

And how long will it be before a hetero sues to be let into the school? Ya know some will do it just cuz.

agreed.

If we've had one thing pounded into our thick skulls as Americans, its that diversity is good. Segregation will do nothing to promote the acceptance of so called 'alternative lifestyles'. Its a cop out.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
This is lame (the concept not the people posting, oh wait you guys are lame too :D ) I read about this earlier in the NY Times and was amazed.

I want a college for 30 somethings that allows 3 beer lunches and a nap before afternoon classes.

This is a big step BACKWARDS!:angry:

The Supreme Court recently forbid discrimination based on sexual leanings which was a big boost in showing America that we are equal and then some dip**** LGTG do gooders pull this stuff. Really if the gay community in NYC were really in to equality they would integrate and proudly proclaim that the varsity QB was gay and a blue chip recruit.

Losers.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by LordOpie
Well - I am not even slightly offended but I see where they are coming from. We have a local school for misfits (not saying gays are misfits) that is very controversial to some but my feeling is that without this school these kids would be out causing trouble and being a general drain on society.

Anyhow LordOpie when I lived in Denver in the 80's I actually saw a teenage kid walk up to and spit on an obviously gay couple. It was on Colfax Ave in the middle of the day with tons of people around - no one, including myslef, did or said anything about it.

So... did you hear about the gay terrorist who tried to blow up a bus? He burnt his mouth on the exhaust pipe... :D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by ummbikes
I want a college for 30 somethings that allows 3 beer lunches and a nap before afternoon classes.
fvck yeah! ummbikes for PotUS!!

Originally posted by Serial Midget
Well - I am not even slightly offended but I see where they are coming from. We have a local school for misfits (not saying gays are misfits) that is very controversial to some but my feeling is that without this school these kids would be out causing trouble and being a general drain on society.

Anyhow LordOpie when I lived in Denver in the 80's I actually saw a teenage kid walk up to and spit on an obviously gay couple. It was on Colfax Ave in the middle of the day with tons of people around - no one, including myslef, did or said anything about it.

So... did you hear about the gay terrorist who tried to blow up a bus? He burnt his mouth on the exhaust pipe... :D
misfits... yeah, another group that is justified for a seperate institution.

Spitting on a gay couple? Damn man, Miami makes Denver look like the garden of eden... some group was always attacking another group in S.FL back in the 80s :(

It's funny, when I moved here, people "warned" me about Colfax Ave., and yet, it's the closest to "real" life this plastic city has. Don't get me wrong, I love it here.

umm, end tangent

Anyway, segregation = stupid.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Moved to Political Debate. Fire away!! :D

WTF??? What would happen if I was a straight guy living in Greenwich Village and wanted to attend this school? Would I get turned down? And how can they prove that I am NOT a homosexual? Maybe they'd use the belly dancer method ala Gregory Hines in "History of the World Part II." :D

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
Moved to Political Debate. Fire away!! :D

WTF??? What would happen if I was a straight guy living in Greenwich Village and wanted to attend this school? Would I get turned down? And how can they prove that I am NOT a homosexual? Maybe they'd use the belly dancer method ala Gregory Hines in "History of the World Part II." :D
They have you make out with another boy, as part of the aplication process.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
they should set up a public school that only straight people are allowed to attend. Let's see how well that goes over.

And while they're at it, they should set up one that only white people can attend. Might as well milk this for all it's worth....:rolleyes:

I hate people SO MUCH sometimes....

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
What is next?

A school just for Blacks?

Oh yeah... we had that. It was called SEGREGATION!!
:rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:

Why are we taking a step back?

Mar 27, 2003
I vote for taking over a state. I think the Libertarians tried this once, but I'm gonna give it a try.
If an idea like this school or the terrorism futures idea proprossed by the Pentagon and Darpa sound like good ideas to you, don't bother to apply.

No more stupid liberal jackass talking out of both sides of their mouth, and no more rightwing warmongers playing around with our future.
We could have fights about Rock Shox vs Marazochhi instead.

Idiots. We are surrounded by idiots.

If you are interested in joining on and have an idea of which state to choose email sterling4king@netscape.net.

:devil:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by sub6
they should set up a public school that only straight people are allowed to attend. Let's see how well that goes over.

And while they're at it, they should set up one that only white people can attend. Might as well milk this for all it's worth....:rolleyes:

I hate people SO MUCH sometimes....
Along that note.....

I say there should be a United Anglo Saxon College Fund.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
im gonna open he Biggins School for Extremely Straight guys. there will be a 6 to 1 girl to guy ratio required and all female applicants must be viewed before entry. im so tired of being picked on by ugly people and being subjected to them.it offends and hurts me. and having to many guys around offends me as well. oh yeah it will be exclusive white, christian, and all girls must wear schoolgirl outfits