Quantcast

New Zokes

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
theres already a 380 thread mod-newb! PB's article seems to be half assed as this is one almost identical to the one they did in March

with the DVO's price way out of touch, the 380 will be replacing my 888

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
theres already a 380 thread mod-newb! PB's article seems to be half assed as this is one almost identical to the one they did in March

with the DVO's price way out of touch, the 380 will be replacing my 888
Pffft whatever.

Yeah the PB article is a hype piece but its good to see the 380 come closer to fruition. No price yet which is silly. I think the dynamic bleed is the floating piston compensator, but they make it sound like its a semi bath damper which sounds kind of weird.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
^^ i can do that with my 888 now

Yeah the PB article is a hype piece but its good to see the 380 come closer to fruition. No price yet which is silly.
when i talked to them on Monday they didnt have a price or an exact eta, only "end of september." i wanted to know if my 888 springs will work in it but they didnt know that either

Last edited:

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Does anyone know if the new damper fits into the 888-chassis? Stanction-diameter is still 38mm so it might work and save a lot of money for a slight weight penalty.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I wonder if the new lowers fit the previous Evo forks, providing the holes at the bottom are the same size. My bushings are a little buggered...

Last edited:

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
Pffft whatever.

Yeah the PB article is a hype piece but its good to see the 380 come closer to fruition. No price yet which is silly. I think the dynamic bleed is the floating piston compensator, but they make it sound like its a semi bath damper which sounds kind of weird.
The compensator is spring-backed (like a CR and nearly every modern MX fork) but at full bottom out the piston moves up to expose a small port where excess oil and air can bleed out. From then on the cart has the correct oil level but bottom oil seal uses a one-way design so oil can be pushed back in to the cart if it did happen to drop too low. So in function it works like a sealed cartridge but as far as assembly/maintenance goes it is more like an open bath

And for springs - yes 888 springs will drop right in, so if you've bought a Ti sprig you can keep using it :)

In the comments section of that Bryson Martin pinkbike interview, someone posted MSRP prices for all the major forks. $2350 was listed for the DVO.

Dunno why theyre so tight lipped about MSRP...

If the RS Pike new dampers hold up and then make it into the new Boxxer, that will be a contender as well

is the DVO going to be domestically produced?
negative, fabricated/assembled in Taiwan...

additionally why i thought the pricetag was steep. just imagine if it was made in the USA. first $3K+ fork?

as much i am a believer in the USD fork (i love my dorado). when it's time for something new, i think the 380 will be at the top of my list.

i forgot to throw the BOS Idyll into that list...with a north american distributor and warranty servicer finally in place, i'd check them out.

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
wow. i hadn't seen the taiwan part. that would have explained the price if it was domestically produced. but damn.
Yeah definitely a steep price. But I think you have to realize that fork is going to be in a different league than other forks currently on the market. They are definitely not trying to compete side by side with them. Either way, should be interesting to see how this all plays out. Zoke has really been hurting this year.

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Different league how? Promised and documented % increase in speed?
Easily revalvable (don't have to drain oil and rebuild the whole fork), a new level in bushing tolerances and overal lack of friction in fork, and a few other things.

After riding the Dorado for a while now, I'm interested in seeing how improved torsional stiffness would change the handling of an inverted fork. I'm still not sure whether the flex in the Dorado (which is noticeable) is bad or good.

Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
$2,350!?!? So after their first run of 300 they are going to net $705,000?

I want to see a 380 review on one straight out of the factory

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
No, they're going to gross $705k at that price/volume.
I'd imagine they'll still be deep in the red if that's their total production number.

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
Easily revalvable (don't have to drain oil and rebuild the whole fork), a new level in bushing tolerances and overal lack of friction in fork, and a few other things.

After riding the Dorado for a while now, I'm interested in seeing how improved torsional stiffness would change the handling of an inverted fork. I'm still not sure whether the flex in the Dorado (which is noticeable) is bad or good.
If your hoping that the Carbon torsion arch (as DVO calls it) will help out I'm pretty sure it won't at all. The attachment points of the arch will make it pretty much useless, it would be very interesting to see any measurement or calculation to support their 50% increase in torsional stiffness. Which I believe to be marketing bull**** :)

Josef

Monkey
Apr 17, 2013
No, they're going to gross $705k at that price/volume.
I'd imagine they'll still be deep in the red if that's their total production number.
I havent been following the whole DVO deal. Are they going direct to consumer or through dealers?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Yep. $705k in net profit. Because there are no distributors and no OEM sales. So each fork sold gets them $2350 in revenue. And amazingly there and no costs associated with marketing, development, and manufacturing the forks. So each dollar in gross revenue is a dollar in net profit!! It's an amazing business model.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
If your hoping that the Carbon torsion arch (as DVO calls it) will help out I'm pretty sure it won't at all. The attachment points of the arch will make it pretty much useless, it would be very interesting to see any measurement or calculation to support their 50% increase in torsional stiffness. Which I believe to be marketing bull**** :)
Yeah...it works. The beautiful thing is you can run it with, or without, and feel the difference yourself! So "marketing bullsh*t" wouldn't really help them there. That thing is adding a SIGNIFICANT amount to the total cost of production (~1/4 to 1/3 if I remember correctly) and difficult to source. It's a reasonably complex carbon structure from my understanding. I doubt they would be spending the time, money, and effort if it was "marketing bullsh*t".