Quantcast

newb shock pump question

sp0om

Chimp
Feb 29, 2004
i got my first bike with a suspension fork last summer and its quite nice. the only problem i have is keeping it in tip top shape. sometimes after rides, the fork is noticeably more saggy, and it becomes difficult to ride without taking it to the shop.

the suspension fork i am using it a "Answer Manitou Six Comp, 3.15" travel". do i need a specific type of shock pump, or will any do the job? i am very new to all of this and any advice and/or recommendations would be very much appreciated

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Heck I thought they are coil/bumper forks.......

is it an air fork? This isn't to insult you (Becuase I don't know the answer either) are you sure this is an air fork?

Does the shop pump it up for you? Ask them what pump you need.

sp0om

Chimp
Feb 29, 2004
hmm.. im not exactly sure if its an air or not. now im terribly confused :confused:

here are some pics i just took:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by sp0om
hmm.. im not exactly sure if its an air or not. now im terribly confused :confused:

here are some pics i just took:

Well if it is coil/bumper fork....a pump aint going to help you.

I can't tell by the pictures if it is or not. Is there a schreader valve somewhere you can see? I am pretty sure it is not air.....but they make so many diff types of forks these days....air and spring with the same designation. I don't care much to keep them straight.

I don't know what the shop does to fix your fork...maybe lube it. Does it have lube ports near the seals?

Ask the shop next time you are in....air or spring. Then you can go about figuring out how to fix it.

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
IF it is an air shock, you will need a shock pump... not just any pump will do.

IF it's oil/coil... do you notice any oil leakage?

the black caps on the top of the crown... if you can, screw those off and you should be able to tell which it is...that is typically where the stems are if it's air.

sp0om

Chimp
Feb 29, 2004
looks like coil to me

i put everyting back together, and its a bit saggy. how to i make it more rigid? is there a quick fix, or is this something best left to the folks at the bike shop? I would like to do as many repairs myself if at all possible.

edit: thanks for helping me btw :)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Coils give you two options.

1) you can incread teh preload. To do that you turn the knob on the top of the fork to increase the tension on the spring.

BUT

This is not a good option. MOst often people are in need of new springs. In your case you want it stiffer...so stiffer springs are required. How large are you? You might not need springs and might have a oil problem. I am fat and always require new springs if I expect the fork to worklike it should.

2) More than likely you need springs...heavier springs.

Note: I find it interesting that you said the shop fixed and made your fork work better in the past. I wonder what they did? Before ordering new springs make sure teh fork is fine overall and nothing else is making your fork preform poorly. If you want a rigidish fork for jumping or doing drops....I don't think that fork was made for that abuse long term.

Goodluck.

Rhino

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
Originally posted by RhinofromWA

2) More than likely you need springs...heavier springs.

Note: I find it interesting that you said the shop fixed and made your fork work better in the past. I wonder what they did? Before ordering new springs make sure teh fork is fine overall and nothing else is making your fork preform poorly. If you want a rigidish fork for jumping or doing drops....I don't think that fork was made for that abuse long term.

Goodluck.

Rhino
yeah, it sounds like either you need new springs... make sure the springs are right for your weight... and/or you could need to add some oil in each leg?

Have you explained this to your shop, that they get saggy after a ride? and if so, did they offer an explination as to why? :think: i'd hate to think that you're LBS was just using you as their cash cow... but, sometimes you just never know? try to get clear answer from them if you can... and go from there.

sp0om

Chimp
Feb 29, 2004
i do very low impact trail riding, and i weigh a mere 135 pounds. the last tune up i had was about a year ago (shock was 100% fine then). can my riding and size wear a spring down that quickly?

its a goal of mine to do all of the repairs on the bike myself (if i can). not only would it help me spend less of what little money i have, knowing how to properly repair my bike would make me feel better about riding.

i looked around on the net, and couldnt find any bike springs... am i looking in the right places? (ive searched for the words: coil, spring, replacement coil etc. at supergo and mtb review)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
i do very low impact trail riding, and i weigh a mere 135 pounds. the last tune up i had was about a year ago (shock was 100% fine then). can my riding and size wear a spring down that quickly?

its a goal of mine to do all of the repairs on the bike myself (if i can). not only would it help me spend less of what little money i have, knowing how to properly repair my bike would make me feel better about riding.

i looked around on the net, and couldnt find any bike springs... am i looking in the right places? (ive searched for the words: coil, spring, replacement coil etc. at supergo and mtb review)

My guess is that your prings are alright if you are 135lbs. Heck they might be to firm.

My next guess is the oil damper on the fork might be the problem. The fork should move through it's travel when you ride. That is what they do.....

I can't imagine your to soft is the same as my (300lbs) to soft is.

What is the fork doing that is a problem again?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
If the spring is to soft to hold your wight up (probably not in your case but in my fat ass case) You need new springs.

I can't imagine you need stiffer springs as they are probably spring for a 150-170 rider (not positive on that)

Next if the fork reacts to fast (down or up) the damping might not be working. This could be an adjustment item (turning of knobs) a low or no oil problem (repair of fork required) or something I can't fathom.

They aren't terribly complicated forks.

I would have to have more info on what exactly you want and what it is doing.......

:think: interesting.

Rhino

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Maybe the fork requires lubing of the bushings and seals....I don't know the fork very well but many Manatou forks needed a shot of grease in a little hole on the backside ot the fork near the seal/wiper area.

Does it feal sticky? so it isn't returning smoothly. If that is the case it needs a cleaning and relubing.

Maybe that is what the shop does.....'cuase they don't pump it up. If it works better after they workon it and they don't "repair" anything I am betting on a dirty fork.

But you probably need the local shop to know you know so you can fix it in the future.

Rhino

Confused adn going home soon. Good luck.

sp0om

Chimp
Feb 29, 2004
Ill try to be as thoroough as possible:

alright, so my fork just isnt as rigid as i would like it to be. the preload adjustment doesnt seem to do much to help much either. right after getting the bike serviced i distictly remember that the shock didnt sag nearly as it does now. when i sat on it, the shock compressed a very small amount, but now, its a lot more.

now that you mention it, it does feel sticky. that might just be it... or is it this oil compression business. now im confused too. :confused: (thank god its the weekend )

and if they arent too terribly complicated, can a newber like me figure out to overhaul the fork properly? (add more oil, lube etc etc)

slomoking

Chimp
Nov 28, 2003
Gig Harbor, WA
How old is the fork?

Manitou has some pretty decent service manuals on their web site.

Here is the one for the
SIX CLICK ME Page 5 has the service intervals. You probably just need to do a little maintenance on it.

You can also call Answer / Manitou. Let me know if you want their 1-800 number, I 'll need to dig it out.

sp0om

Chimp
Feb 29, 2004
@RhinofromWA
i took my bike for a lap around the neighborhood, paying close attention to the fork. what happens, is when im going up a hill, the shock is almost bottoming out!

when im going up hills, i must be putting more weight on the front of my bike, but my weight wouldnt usually cause the shock to nearly bottom out when im going up a hill, right? :confused:

@slomoking: fork is about 2 years old.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
@RhinofromWA
i took my bike for a lap around the neighborhood, paying close attention to the fork. what happens, is when im going up a hill, the shock is almost bottoming out!

when im going up hills, i must be putting more weight on the front of my bike, but my weight wouldnt usually cause the shock to nearly bottom out when im going up a hill, right? :confused:

The fact it works after you take it the the shop and not now is strange....I would take it in to verify what is wrong....they don't have to fix it if you want to but that might be the best option but ask many questions and see if it is someting you can do in the future.

So soft at your weight the springs shouldn't be the problem if they are stock......see what the shop says. Then you have a good start at making it right.

Let us know what goes down.

Rhino

slomoking

Chimp
Nov 28, 2003
Gig Harbor, WA
@RhinofromWA

Very odd that it is almost bottoming out when going up hills. I think your only option is what Rhino suggested and take it to a shop. I have an extra medium spring from a 2 year old Manitou Black, if it will fit (would have to call Manitou) and that is the problem you can have it.

sp0om

Chimp
Feb 29, 2004
im just gonna take it to the shop, but thank you so much slomoking for offering your spring to a total stranger. and THANKS to everyone else too. you all have been a HUGE help :). i will be visiting here often to get more advice, help etc etc.

Ill get the fork fixed next weekend some time