Quantcast

Newb

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
Hey all. I hope this is the right forum for intoductions. I just happened to find this site through a search engine. It looks like a very happening place. A little about myself. I am in the Air Force, stationed in North Carolina. Just got married in November. I recently renovated my old mountain bike. It had sat outside and the chain was rusted solid. It was a GT. Not sure what kind. I painted it flat black to prevent anymore rusting. Well, I just wanted to introduce myself. There will be plenty of time for more thourough intorductions later.

Parker

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
Thanks for the quick welcomes guys. I figured I should put up some pics of the bike to date. I dont have any of what it used to look like. I am still working on getting the rust off of the handlebars and what not. Anyhow, on to the pics.

I hope it worked.

Yeah, I am just getting started with this whole thing, so please dont be too harsh with the critisism. However, I would like some constructive critisism. I would eventually like to replace the shifters, deralliers(sp?) and the brakes.

Thanks for looking.

Parker

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
Any ideas what to do next? I want to upgrade the shifter, but what all do I have to do to accomplish that? If I were to upgrade from a 7 gear cassette like I have to a 8 or 9 gear, what would I have to do to do that? Thanks.

Parker

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
its a high possiblity that you would have to change out the entire drive train if you were to upgrade to 8 or 9 speed. If you change the cassette, you prolly gotta change the chain, which means you prolly gotta change the front chain rings. on to derailleurs...you could prolly get some shimano deore, alivio or acera equipment for pretty cheap. keep in mind the bike worth to cost of new stuff. If it ever reaches the worth of the bike...or goes over...you might want to think about getting a new bike. In the end that can be cheaper, buuuut that frame looks pretty good. The older GT mountain bikes were pretty nice, i had one and i liked it!!

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
If you have a seven speed now its not really worth it to upgrade to 8/9. You'd have to get a new rear hub (or wheel), a new cassette, a new rear derailleur, new shifter, and new chain..and new front chainrings. You could always look on ebay for some other 7 speed stuff if you just wanted some better parts or to replace what you have. Since you are new getting all of that stuff separate would probably be getting in a little over your head, I'd say just ride the heck out of what you've got and have fun. Welcome to RM

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Ride the bike for a few months and if you decide this is something you can see yourself doing in the future and not just a phase it would make sense to then spring for a more capable trail bike with suspension and disc brakes, etc. For now, I wouldn't touch a thing as long as the shifting is working. If it isn't then get the cables/housing replaced at your Local Bike shop and maybe a new chain if the old one is rusted. Just have fun.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
sayndesyn said:
Ride the bike for a few months and if you decide this is something you can see yourself doing in the future and not just a phase it would make sense to then spring for a more capable trail bike with suspension and disc brakes, etc. For now, I wouldn't touch a thing as long as the shifting is working. If it isn't then get the cables/housing replaced at your Local Bike shop and maybe a new chain if the old one is rusted. Just have fun.
AGREED
In order to go from 7spd to 8 or 9 spd you may also need to replace the rear hub, which means you will likely have to replace the whole rear wheel (more cost effective than tearing down and rebuilding the one you have).

Ride what you have to see if you like the whole thing. The rigid bike will force you to learn bike handilng skills that you will not otherwise get. Once you are hooked, then get a good hardtail (no rear suspension) tailored to the kind of riding you like (trails vs. drops). I think the ideal quivver of bikes would have a rigid for general riding around, a hardtail for more serious trail riding and jumps, and a beefy full suspension bike for more aggressive riding (freeride/downhill). If you could only have one and like to ride aggressively, go for a tough hardtail like a SC Chamelion, a Sinister Ridge, a Transition Vagrant, or a Banshee Chapparal. If you like more XC stuff, still go with a hardtail, but something lighter.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Squeaver said:
Any ideas what to do next? I want to upgrade the shifter, but what all do I have to do to accomplish that? If I were to upgrade from a 7 gear cassette like I have to a 8 or 9 gear, what would I have to do to do that? Thanks.

Parker
If you ever get bored with gears that'd make a nice singlespeed

And welcome to RM, I served in the USAF once upon a time....

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego

If your current bike shifts, ride the thing and see if you like trails. If you do, then it is time to think about a new bike. Have fun.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Looks like you have an old skool Zaskar or Timberline.

Don't upgrade until you ride around and have issues. Obviously you need a new chain, keep the old cassette unless it's totally worn. 7 speeds are just as good as 9 really, at least the slight improvement you get is not worth the cash...

You could probably use some better pedals.

Your tires are looking worn, but if you're riding in the dry you might be alright there...

Ride the hell out of that thing, and if you dig mt. biking get a new bike. But leave the ole fully rigid you have there alone, it's kind of like putting spinners on an old jeep. Kinda pointless....

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
Wow, I had forgotten about this thread. Thanks so much for all of the comments. Since i had originally posted, I have put new grips on, a riding computer, bar ends a new chain, and generally cleaned everything up and I ride it everyday. WHat is everyones "normal" regiment or riding every day? Since I havent ridden in so long I try to push myself further each day, but not too far. The furthest I have ridden in one ride ot date is a little over 6 miles. Tryin to work up to 10 miles every day.

We also recently bought my wife a basic Schwinn to ride around with me on. She isnt as into this as I am. So I stole the seat off of hers since it is one of those skiny ones and she would prefer a wider one with more padding. I like it alot, even though it says Schwinn on it.

I have so many questions, but dont know where to start.

About a week ago I won an auciton on ebay with some used shifters, brake levers, derailleurs front and rear. I have no real idea how to change them out so I think I will do what the majority said and just ride the **** out of it until something breaks, then figure out how to replace it. I will take some pictures of it now and post them in a little while.

Thanks again for all the comments and welcomes.

Parker

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
Here are the current pictures of my sweet ride. I have had this re-accuring problem with the chain kind of hopping around since i put the new chain on, but I tweaked the shifters and I think i got it figured out, I am about to go out, so I will know then.

Enjoy, comments and critisism always welcome.

Parker

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Ahhhhhh......... those pictures bring back fond memories. Keep riding the crap out of her. I'll relive the good ol' days through you. :thumb: :D

BTW - excellent work on the bar ends! People may tell you they're unnecessary and uncool, but if you like 'em, pay no heed to the naysayers. ;)

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
Like a lot of others said and think, ride until you break stuff, then get a better bike. I dunno if they have this sale by you or if there is even a store by you, but if you go to Gander Mtn. they have a 50% off sale (they did at the one by me) and they sell some great full suspension cross-country bikes for cheap

Anyways, that bike is awesome! looks really cool

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
SkaredShtles said:
BTW - excellent work on the bar ends! People may tell you they're unnecessary and uncool, but if you like 'em, pay no heed to the naysayers. ;)
I dont use them as much as I thought that I would, but I like them nonetheless. Thanks again for the comments.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
great computer I have 2 of those from planet bike, nice strong cable, and I love the thermameter function. ride the heck out of that bike...

jamester

Chimp
Mar 28, 2006
Durham, NC
What kind of computer is that? I'm about ready to buy my first bike in years and would like to get a decent (although relatively inexpensive) computer to go with it.

Squeaver - nice bike =) I'm in NC too - up in Durham. :)

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
Thanks again guys.

jamester - yeah, its the Planet Bike Protege 9. It was only about 20 bucks, hell it might not have even been that much. I got it at Jensonusa.com

I am loving this bike. In the short time I have been riding again, only about 3 weeks, I have ridden 81 miles. (Another function of the computer)

I went out to Harris Lake this past weekend up towards you, jamester, it was fun to ride some trails. Although I got a flat and wasnt prepared at all for it. I had to talk the bike back to the Jeep. Next time though, I will be hella more prepared and it wont happen again. Next investment will be a portable pump to attatch to the frame, any suggestions guys?

I am looking into buying an older Giant full suspension bike from a guy. It is only a few years old. I have no idea how much to offer him for it though. I don't want to rip him off, but then again, I also wouldnt mind getting a helluva good deal on one.

Parker

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Squeaver said:
<snip>

I am looking into buying an older Giant full suspension bike from a guy. It is only a few years old. I have no idea how much to offer him for it though. I don't want to rip him off, but then again, I also wouldnt mind getting a helluva good deal on one.

Parker
What is it? I have an older full sus Giant and might be able to give you some idea what it's worth.............

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
I dont know exactly what model it is, and neither does he. He doesnt ride it that often and I have only seen it once for about 5 minutes. I jokingly said, that I wanted to buy it and he seriously said he would let it go. So that is all I am going on right now. It is anodized or painted burnt orange. It has rock shox. That is about all that I know off hand.

jamester

Chimp
Mar 28, 2006
Durham, NC
Parker:

Thanks for the pointer towards jensonusa for the computer - I picked one up on Friday, it should arrive this week sometime. It'll be the first "extra" I buy for my bike! =)

hayden

Chimp
Sep 30, 2006
i under stand your stationd in nc. if your ever in the raligh area you should go to the newer performance bike store. they have some good deals this time of year.

InsideMan

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
On an Island
yeah what everyone else is saying. Dont spend money on this bike unless something is broke.

Give this bike to your sweet wife and get yourself a full suspension. Youll kick yourself for not doing it sooner. Check the classifieds on this site and mtbr.com you will come across some killer deals.

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
Hey, I don't mind the bump guys.

Thanks for all of your help. I suppose I should give you all an update on my current cycling situation.

I still have the black GT, and yes, I bought the full sus Giant from my friend. 65 bucks and a six pack of newcastle.

While i was in Kuwait I started looking on the net for a road bike. I found one named Dawes on eBay. I did a little research, but couldnt find a whole lot, but I convinced the wife to get one and I have been riding it since i got back. So if anyone has any info on the reliability of these bike, that would be awesome. So far so good.

Also, I decided to convert my GT into a ss. I have all of the necessary components, however, I do not have the correct tools. This is the furthest I have ever delved into tearing down/building up a bike, so I had no idea I would need special tools. So that project is postponed until I can aquire the necessary gear. I will post up some pics when done though.

Thanks again for the help you all,

Parker