Quantcast

Newbie is here!

jamester

Chimp
Mar 28, 2006
Durham, NC
Hey everybody :)

I'm new here. (Obviously). I've been visiting my LBS for a few days now. I haven't ridden a bike (well, as of last Saturday I hadn't) for about 15 years. (!)

As I've test-ridden bikes, though, I realize I'm not all that rusty at it, and that I really can pick back up fairly fast. I've ridden a number of Trek and Specialized bikes, including the 7000 series Trek and the Specialized Rockhopper, Sirrus, and Hardrock Sport.

My budget is very small. My wife would love it if I would just give up and go to Target to pick up their $70 special. I cringe when she says so. I mentioned that I didn't like the shifting on the Trek - they're the lowest priced of the bunch I tried - and she asked me if I really need to shift that much. (!)

So the Hardrock Sport is in the lead right now. I doubt I'll be doing a LOT of trail riding, mainly road riding and I might consider having them put semi slicks on instead of the knobby tires... but I rode it around yesterday with the knobby tires and I really liked it - and the price point wasn't bad at all.

The LBS will give me two free servicings the first year, so I'd save more on service than I'd spend on the Target bike in the first place.

So hopefully by Friday or Saturday, I'll have my new bike! I'm heading back there today to ride again, providing the weather cooperates. I might even put some cash down to hold it for me. (I'm pretty anxious and excited about getting back into biking.)

Over the years, I've managed to put on the weight - I'm about 100 lbs over where I should be right now, and I'm hoping that rediscovering the love of hopping on the bike and just GOING will help me to lose some of those extra pounds AND get me out of the house more often.

Anyhow, that's enough of an intro, I suppose. Advice is always welcome, even though I'm pretty hardheaded a lot of the time, I love to learn. I've been away from biking for so long that I have a LOT to learn! One thing I've gleaned from these forums, however, is that the best thing a beginner can do is to get out and RIDE, RIDE, RIDE!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
That extra $500-700 over the Target bike will seem like nothing to your wife when you've lost that weight. But ride more for fun than exercise. If you enjoy it, you'll do it and the weight will come off eventually.

:)

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
You will be much happier in the long run with a nice bike from the LBS those bikes from the big box stores are complete garbage. Its important to have a nice safe bike to start out on.

Buy the bike you feel comfortable on and BTW welcome to the Monkey......

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
<time for an Opie.Rant>

Those -- WalMart, Target, CostCo, SamsClub -- stores typically have the guy who just stocked pickles and brooms assembling those bikes. They don't know what they're doing and if you don't know what you're doing it's dangerous.

We're smart people here, but when was the last time any of us checked the lugnuts on our wheels after getting a new tire put on?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
That Hardrock Sport is a great entry level bike. It has a solid frame, decent components, and a good geometry for actual mountain biking.

Good luck!

jamester

Chimp
Mar 28, 2006
Durham, NC
My thoughts exactly. I know that if I buy a *mart bike, I'll be sick of riding within a month because it'll go out of adjustment (assuming it was ever in adjustment to begin with) and I won't know how to fix it. I'd much rather give the LBS my business and take it to them when it don't workie - and maybe they'll even let me watch them fix it from time to time so I can learn something! You sure won't get that at *mart. =)

jamester

Chimp
Mar 28, 2006
Durham, NC
Thanks for the wishes, everybody - I'm going to pick it up most likely on Friday - and if the wife doesn't kill me (she may be upset, but I doubt she'd actually KILL me), I'll be in for a lot of really awesome riding!

jamester

Chimp
Mar 28, 2006
Durham, NC
I'm buying an 05 Rockhopper!! They're 20% off through Monday, and I asked for Tax off as well, so I'll come in at $399 total. I'm *very* excited!

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
jamester said:
I'm buying an 05 Rockhopper!! They're 20% off through Monday, and I asked for Tax off as well, so I'll come in at $399 total. I'm *very* excited!
thats a nice bike to get back into riding with....good luck....ride safe...