Quantcast

Newbie questions

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
GumbaFish said:
Thanks for the reminder...I finished her a couple of days ago. I'm liking it so far, even though the bike is a bit of a franken build with a mix of spare and new parts I plan to slowly upgrade any of my old parts. I haven't taken it out on dj's or anything yet but the setup worked pretty well, and the chute frame really isn't that heavy so having only one gear didn't feel like a problem. But the frame is still beefy enough with the enlarged downtube and gusset that I feel it can handle anything I am going to throw at it. The only downside I will say is that for my model, the 99 version, there is little clearance for a large rear tire. That is my only gripe so far, so if you like really big tires you wont be able to run one in the rear. I can take a measurement back there and guestimate how large a tire will fit back there if ya want. Right now I am running a velociraptor in the back and that clears fine, but that is only a 2.1.
Sweet! I'm actually considering a '00 so maybe that will fit a larger tire? I usually run Maxxis Slow Reezay 2.35s. Thanks!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
MMcG said:
T - are you considering SLOPE's frame? It certainly looks to be in fine shape.
Yupper :thumb: I need to see if it has a replaceable drop out. If it does, I may be able to have one machined that will work beautifully with a SS setup (similar to what the Cowan frame offers).

Jan 18, 2005
dirty jersey
TreeSaw said:
Thanks for the tips...I generally run 170mm cranks and didn't think about changing size. I also tend to run narrower bars on my XC bike so that's good to know as well. Don't worry, I am prepared to learn humility and respect a few (many :think: ) hills. I am getting excited. Now I just have to decide if I should get a frame or re-build my old Trek hardtail.
a buddy of mine showed up on my doorstep today with a surprise gift. he made a SS for me out of old parts.. it was an old trek 850 frame which he cut off the drop-outs and welded horizontal ones in. the rest the parts were either lying around his basement or my garage.
it's a fun little toy :)

he's been trying to convert me for about a year now... mighta done it.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
thegreatlanfrit said:
a buddy of mine showed up on my doorstep today with a surprise gift. he made a SS for me out of old parts.. it was an old trek 850 frame which he cut off the drop-outs and welded horizontal ones in. the rest the parts were either lying around his basement or my garage.
it's a fun little toy :)

he's been trying to convert me for about a year now... mighta done it.
Sweet. If it's the green (with purple graphics) CroMo frame, I have the same one...my first real mountain bike :thumb: