Quantcast

newish toy, M1 garand

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Picked this up a couple months ago right after my 18th Bday. A Korean war vet kept hes rifle and sold it to the local gunsmith who I got it from. The entire thing is a Springfield and all the serial numbers but the barrel were matching, it was made in 42 and re barreled in 51 while the guy was in Korea. Last week I got a call from the gunsmith, turns out the guy kept the old barrel and I got a call from the gunsmith this morning telling me he had the matching barrel for the thing. So now I have an original matching serial number M1 garand, and I only payed 800$ for it.

I went out for a bit and shot the original barrel, it shoots right around a 4 inch group at 100. The newer barrel shoots just under an inch with 5 shots ad 100, so I think I am going to keep the new barrel on and switch them out if I ever decide I want to sell the thing (I doubt that is ever going to happen)

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
You suck and I hate you. I mean, good pick up, right place, right time. I have been wanting one for years, been watching the Civilian Marksmanship folks hoping for a good one, but nothing yet.

Let me know if you want to sell, I will go $10 over what you paid...maybe $12...

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
You suck and I hate you. I mean, good pick up, right place, right time. I have been wanting one for years, been watching the Civilian Marksmanship folks hoping for a good one, but nothing yet.

Let me know if you want to sell, I will go $10 over what you paid...maybe $12...
I don't think I am ever going to sell this thing. The only downside was the cost of ammo but a friend of ours dad died and had about 1000 rounds of 30-06 brass, about 2000 150 grain bullets and 5000 primers. All I have to do now is get some dies and some powder and I am set for a good while for ammo.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Are you hand loading?? Cuts the ammo cost by a grip, if you shoot alot...
Just started loading for my 40 so I can shoot IDPA, me and my dad are going in on a dylan 650 that should be arriving in a couple weeks. We are going to convert our single stage RCBS press to load rifle so I can reload .308 and the 06

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
My grandfather has an M1 Carbine that I want to steal.

Apparently he took my father deer hunting once, and made him use it. Hilarity ensued.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I loaded my own ammo for years (.45acp, .44mag, .357mag, etc). definitely takes the sport to the next level. I need to sell off all my reloading equipment b/c I don't think I'll ever have time for another hobby in my life...

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
My grandfather has an M1 Carbine that I want to steal.

Apparently he took my father deer hunting once, and made him use it. Hilarity ensued.
my first deer was at Ft. Jackson, SC. LT called for any socal boys, I raised my hand, he said follow these tracks and bring it back. All I had was my M16A1/203.... long story short... I carried back a perforated 4pt and had 2 empty mags.... his exact words when he saw me covered in deer blood.... "you know there are bears around here right?"

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
my first deer was at Ft. Jackson, SC. LT called for any socal boys, I raised my hand, he said follow these tracks and bring it back. All I had was my M16A1/203.... long story short... I carried back a perforated 4pt and had 2 empty mags.... his exact words when he saw me covered in deer blood.... "you know there are bears around here right?"
Yeah...I believe the story goes something along the lines of him unloading an entire magazine before the deer went down...I still want that gun, only 'cause it's fvcking cool.

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
My grandfather gave his guns to one of his clerks. M1 Carbine and a Luger(he traded one his swords for it when he got back from the pacific).