Quantcast

Next generation Nomad?

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
Lol, about the same time as nike and addidas.

To clear up that ambiguity, a 2017 Canfield Brothers Balance.

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
Will, do at some point. The rear shock is at avalanche, the bike looks forlorn as it currently sits in the stand.

cheers, :cheers:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol

Slack seat angle is slack.
But I like it.

Edit: Seems to be not that slack. Minimum 74.1 degrees.
Not sure if it is actual SA, though.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
still not evil slack.

that downtube kink is ugly but I'm glad they changed the shock orientation. do broduro riders really use water bottles that often? Makes me laugh that I see a bottle in almost every photo of this bike.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
still not evil slack.

that downtube kink is ugly but I'm glad they changed the shock orientation. do broduro riders really use water bottles that often? Makes me laugh that I see a bottle in almost every photo of this bike.
Water bottle def seems to be coming back! On bikes with a susp layout like this, it's pretty low hanging fruit to punch in the threaded bottle bosses, so why not right? I also thought it was interesting on a more or less dedicated shuttle bike "with the option of pedaling"...can't wait for more reviews on this.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
That's the first Nomad I've wanted to test ride in a while.
The upper link piercing the TT seems oddly designed vs molding tabs for the pivot.

I've been riding my local short loop with one large water bottle, and not wearing a pack is welcome.

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
The leverage ratio curve on that thing proves it in my book. Kidwoo is a lizard whisperer.

Thumbs up to SC, I like the changes, and a larger extra large too. Addresses my two issues I had with the nomad3.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Should have named it the VP Free. I think it's kinda ugly, but all that aside, I still don't totally understand the daily driver appeal of a 170mm bike...perhaps this is targeted to be bike 2 or 3 in the dental office fleet?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Should have named it the VP Free. I think it's kinda ugly, but all that aside, I still don't totally understand the daily driver appeal of a 170mm bike...perhaps this is targeted to be bike 2 or 3 in the dental office fleet?
This and a trail bike would be a nice 2 bike stable. They also say an aluminum version is coming soon, so paired with an alloy trail frame you could consider it a dental hygienist quiver.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It's practically identical geometry as the last one, just with a size shift. And 5mm more travel. It's not that different from the last one except where it matters.

I don't know why everyone saw a place for the last one but not this version. It's basically just a better working gen 3.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It's practically identical geometry as the last one, just with a size shift. And 5mm more travel. It's not that different from the last one except where it matters.

I don't know why everyone saw a place for the last one but not this version. It's basically just a better working gen 3.
Yeah, the only significant change just makes it objectively better. 5mm of extra travel is not going ruin its ability to climb. If anything, it should be better, between the steeper seat tube angle, and the fact that the rear end will actually have some midstroke support.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Exactly. Go fuck around with one of the top link driven bikes in linkage. It's not that hard to give them a pretty linear, progressive leverage curve without doing anything else super goofy. I don't get why they don't. Putting a coil on definitely helps, but at the end of the day, it's still trying to optimize something that is inherently not as good as it could be.
The times I've had my head bitten off for suggesting this...
Ironically at least three brands guilty of this have finally made improvements in the exact areas they sucked in. Good to see, and in Santa Cruz's case it only took them 14 years. :)

Not sure about losing the triangulation on one side of the frame though. I'll take the budget Giant instead since it's had better LR and AS curves for the last decade.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
We need moar bigger bikes in the woods -> fewer KOM motivated stravawankers, bigger interest in rowdier trails and not just effing flow for 4" 29ers.

#nevergoingtohappen