Quantcast

Next generation Nomad?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
forgot about that masterpiece :rofl:
Made even more hilarious by the fact that they came out with the Evo, which took the worst parts of the original and accentuated them. :rofl:

You can't even write that pile off as being ancient history either.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
So VPP is like that dorky girl in high school with glasses that you never give a second thought till you see her after college and instantly have to figure out a way to hide your raging erection. Got it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
So VPP is like that dorky girl in high school with glasses that you never give a second thought till you see her after college and instantly have to figure out a way to hide your raging erection. Got it.
Nothing like that at all.

More like VPP is the band name and the famous one is a horrible person with no redeeming value at all.

But everyone knows the less famous one is way cooler and shouldn't have died in that bus crash, it should have been the drummer because he's a dick. But both technically in the same VPP band.

But they're definitely two very different people because no amount of makeup or playing hot for teacher while she takes her glasses off is going to make a first gen bronson not be a hag.

Last edited:

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Probably a good time to share some impressions after owning a Nomad for a few months and finding most reviews of that bike pretty useless and not really reflecting how the bike actually rides. Bar one or two, the gist of most reviews seemed to be "It's way too much, bike! Why would you even own such a thing if you don't live next to a bikepark?"

After riding it a bunch my conclusions differ quite a bit and I can pretty much echo what kidwoo wrote about the bike last year. This is not some sluggish Super-Enduro / Freeride bike that should only be pedaled up the hill when your shuttle dies, but a long travel trail bike that you can ride every day. I can't even speak to its full downhill capabilities as I haven't taken it to the Alps yet.

My hometrails are short but technical, with terrain that is comparable to the American Northeast. I came off a Giant Trance with 160mm in the back and actually sank some more money into that bike before purchasing the Nomad as I wanted to keep it around as an everyday bike for my local trails and intended to mostly use the Nomad for more downhill focused riding and park days. Turns out I could have saved that money as the Nomad is just so easy to live with every day and noticeably outperforms the Trance even on the climbs. The more appropriate sizing will certainly play a role here (the medium Trance has 430mm of reach compared to the large Nomad’s 460mm for my 5'10 height), but I’d put the improved climbing performance mainly down to the combination of sensible anti squat and leverage values, non-idiotic seat angle and low weight. Even with the relatively big 2,5” WT DHF in the front, this thing is a surprisingly eager and quick climber on both fire roads and technical climbs. There is a prolonged climb to one of my favorite descents that I used to hate. It is on that climb that I decided I no longer wanted to torture myself on my fully coil Reign X and get something lighter and more trail bikey, which ended up being the Trance. With the Nomad I’m noticeably quicker than on both previous bikes and almost enjoy that climb now, and it’s certainly not down to better shape as procreation has cut into my ride time.

As I said above, I can’t even assess the Nomad’s full descending capabilities properly yet, but it’s been really, really good on my local terrain. Very confidence inspiring without feeling like a freighter in the tight stuff. The level of progression feels just right to me with a Float X2 sans any spacers in the back, and no matter where you are in the travel, there is a nice level of resistance when you pump the bike. This is also why i can't agree with the reasoning that this bike will turn any mellower trail into a boring stretch of Autobahn - maybe compared to a hardtail, but certainly not compared your regular 150mm jack of all trades. At slightly less than 30% sag and on trails without major jumps and drops I usually have about 10mm of the 60mm stroke left, which I think is just fine for having something in reserve for the bigger stuff. I can see this working very well with a coil shock as well. I haven’t played with the geometry adjustments yet as working on the lower shock mount isn’t exactly a pleasure. Even without a fully triangulated rear end, the bike is more than stiff enough for my 165 lbs.

So as someone who values his descents but does not own a downhill bike at the moment, this is a great bike for both normal trail riding and park days and I see absolutely no need to own anything else in the 130-180mm category. If I got another non-downhill bike beside the Nomad, it would have to be far closer to the cross country end of the spectrum to make any sense.

TL;DR: climbs surprisingly well.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Probably a good time to share some impressions after owning a Nomad for a few months and finding most reviews of that bike pretty useless and not really reflecting how the bike actually rides. Bar one or two, the gist of most reviews seemed to be "It's way too much, bike! Why would you even own such a thing if you don't live next to a bikepark?"

After riding it a bunch my conclusions differ quite a bit and I can pretty much echo what kidwoo wrote about the bike last year. This is not some sluggish Super-Enduro / Freeride bike that should only be pedaled up the hill when your shuttle dies, but a long travel trail bike that you can ride every day. I can't even speak to its full downhill capabilities as I haven't taken it to the Alps yet.

My hometrails are short but technical, with terrain that is comparable to the American Northeast. I came off a Giant Trance with 160mm in the back and actually sank some more money into that bike before purchasing the Nomad as I wanted to keep it around as an everyday bike for my local trails and intended to mostly use the Nomad for more downhill focused riding and park days. Turns out I could have saved that money as the Nomad is just so easy to live with every day and noticeably outperforms the Trance even on the climbs. The more appropriate sizing will certainly play a role here (the medium Trance has 430mm of reach compared to the large Nomad’s 460mm for my 5'10 height), but I’d put the improved climbing performance mainly down to the combination of sensible anti squat and leverage values, non-idiotic seat angle and low weight. Even with the relatively big 2,5” WT DHF in the front, this thing is a surprisingly eager and quick climber on both fire roads and technical climbs. There is a prolonged climb to one of my favorite descents that I used to hate. It is on that climb that I decided I no longer wanted to torture myself on my fully coil Reign X and get something lighter and more trail bikey, which ended up being the Trance. With the Nomad I’m noticeably quicker than on both previous bikes and almost enjoy that climb now, and it’s certainly not down to better shape as procreation has cut into my ride time.

As I said above, I can’t even assess the Nomad’s full descending capabilities properly yet, but it’s been really, really good on my local terrain. Very confidence inspiring without feeling like a freighter in the tight stuff. The level of progression feels just right to me with a Float X2 sans any spacers in the back, and no matter where you are in the travel, there is a nice level of resistance when you pump the bike. This is also why i can't agree with the reasoning that this bike will turn any mellower trail into a boring stretch of Autobahn - maybe compared to a hardtail, but certainly not compared your regular 150mm jack of all trades. At slightly less than 30% sag and on trails without major jumps and drops I usually have about 10mm of the 60mm stroke left, which I think is just fine for having something in reserve for the bigger stuff. I can see this working very well with a coil shock as well. I haven’t played with the geometry adjustments yet as working on the lower shock mount isn’t exactly a pleasure. Even without a fully triangulated rear end, the bike is more than stiff enough for my 165 lbs.

So as someone who values his descents but does not own a downhill bike at the moment, this is a great bike for both normal trail riding and park days and I see absolutely no need to own anything else in the 130-180mm category. If I got another non-downhill bike beside the Nomad, it would have to be far closer to the cross country end of the spectrum to make any sense.

TL;DR: climbs surprisingly well.

ummm...ditto!

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
Well said Sandro. I find mine to behave in a very similar fashion with the sag set as you describe and set in the 'high steep' position. With the sag increased to 33-35% and set in the 'low slack' position the bike takes on the characteristics of a mini dh sled. And I mean that in the best way possible. I spent a couple weeks in Whistler last year with both my V10 and the Nomad, and reached for the Nomad more often than not. On the machine built stuff; freight train, dirt merchant, etc it felt like cheating. Maintaining speed effortlessly and being so much fun in the air. In the tech up on Garbo it took more focus and commitment, but was plenty capable.
The Nomad is crazy versatile and just plain fun to ride. Nice that SC finally got it right.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
New Bronson sure does check a lot of boxes. A lot to like. Imagine the Hightower LT will get the same upgrade suite over next year or three.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, me too.

Not that I care all that much, but I'm surprised how heavy they are. My Nomad3 is about the same weight @ 31lbs-ish
The thing is, you'd want to put the same parts on a Bronson or a Nomad if you're going to ride either properly, at which point the difference is just frame weight. And turns out, the amount of material you need to make a 150mm bike not explode is about the same as you need for 165.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
The thing is, you'd want to put the same parts on a Bronson or a Nomad if you're going to ride either properly, at which point the difference is just frame weight. And turns out, the amount of material you need to make a 150mm bike not explode is about the same as you need for 165.
True, but even the ballerest of baller versions of the bike are still that "heavy".

I'm riding a Marzocchi fork, heavy wheels and tires,etc...all on the lowly "C" version.

Maybe my scale is off and mine is actually 37lbs...

I'd have a hard time deciding between a Bronson and Nomad nowadays.The Bronson is certainly prettier...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
C1CFF394-2799-4903-85F2-2DA7B72A831E.jpeg

True, but even the ballerest of baller versions of the bike are still that "heavy".

I'm riding a Marzocchi fork, heavy wheels and tires,etc...all on the lowly "C" version.

I'd have a hard time deciding between a Bronson and Nomad nowadays.The Bronson is certainly prettier...
the ony problem with the nomad is that no one is running strong sized wheels. :D

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
28lbs is heavy? I don't think I've ever had a bike that light. Not for more than a day before I kill a wheel or tire at least.
Not HEAVY, but for $12k...

I admit I haven’t taken the time to figure out what components make the difference in their build kits.

I’ll assume the reserve wheel set.

Most of the builds are 30lbs, which is just fine.

But if the seat angle is just fine on the nomad, which allows it to pedal quite well, all the other stuff that’s great about the nomad, why not pick a nomad if there is no weight/performance penalty?

Apart from looks, of course. @jstuhlman’s bike makes his butt look big.

Given the choice between the two, I can’t say I know which id choose...

37 pounds? Holy shit. I thought the Tracer was pudgy at just under 33...

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Yup, my L Endorphin is 30.5 lbs with <gasp> air suspension.
All alloy 'cept the crabon bars that will kill me when 'woo gives the word.
No w-weenie parts.

How are these plastic wonder bikes lead-sledding their way to the top end of DH bike weights?