Quantcast

Next weekends ride, saturday or sunday.

Nov 14, 2004
W.Seattle
Might as well start asken who might be there next weekend.
Andy- Me and sean are scheeming, you know were we pulled that tree outa the ground, the big one the one in the berm, we were thinking about putting a bridge drop there, we wound need to used a sledge hammer to bust out some of the concret there.... we can lip the end of the bridge like at krank works road gap but on a much smaller scale. it would be pritty sweet, right in the middle of the two drops the one you guys re did and the big one on the left witch needs a tranie. :sneaky:
think about it.

Nov 14, 2004
W.Seattle
Take my advice:
The idea is to keep the green alien landing craft from taking your humans from the ground and changing them into mutants.
A mutant is very dangerous to you, beacuse they fly faster then you do, and they shoot at you... :sneaky:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
The top section is pretty congested w/ lines as it is. The major issue with that is it would be all thru the main line which is the line that must be unobstructed at all costs. Remember, this is a multi-user city park when you peel away the flowpark skin.
We're in the process of clearing out the lower-right section for all of the bridgework and I have THE spot for a larger totter already.
The rest of the flowpark should remain as natural as possible w/ the exception of the wallride after the bottom-left gap.
Don't get me wrong - I am impressed with your ambitious approach, but things there need to be conceived with meticulous planning between pre-existing lines, safety and practicality. I want to litter that place w/ gaps, drops and bridgework as much (if not more) than anybody. There's just not alot of space to work with so we have to have the right things in the right places or the flow will dissolve.

As far as riding next weekend, I still have to survive this coming week. If I'm not in traction or a wheelchair by then, I will likely be down on the SST thing.
:evil:

Nov 14, 2004
W.Seattle
your shooting me out mid air andy.
give me a call about the contruction, and i almost got the wood, 3 or 4 more days. were gonna hve to set up a drop off time.
like friday or saturday.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Sorry I had to break out the "big guns", Frank

Imagine if several other outside builders decided to step in and throw random things in there w/o really thinking it thru. It would be a scary-mess. Hey, it's good to have ideas to ponder all the same so don't think I'm against everything you're scheming - that's far from the truth.
I'm just being the voice of reason for a voiceless entity (the flowpark).;)

I have a box of screws sitting here, but I think I'm going to pick up a healthy box of nails on my way home from downtown tomorrow.
I need to ask around to see if anybody has any roofing shingles or even chicken-wire so the skinnies won't be slicker than snot since we're finally into the rainy season.
I'll definitely try to be there if/when you can score some wood. I need to fix the flat on my BOB trailer so that hauling stuff isn't as difficult as it tends to be. I still can't believe Aaren trucked all that wood from the main gate like he did - that was madcore of him. There's a gate just west of the cemetery that is a straight-shot to the area we'd be hauling it. We'll figure that one out once we get to that point.

So, I'm done icing my battered thighs and it's time to soak in hot water. IT'S GREAT TO BE ALIVE!!!:D

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Corporatefailure said:
i got the chicken wire
and some nails and screws ill bring some of bouth. when and were is the next step.
Truth be known, the next step (for me, at least) is the hot bath I'm drawing.:nuts:

I'll get back with you on here tomorrow and we can sort it all out - I still have to check w/ Sean to see what day(s) he's thinking of heading down there as well.

You know, I think this internet-thing may have a future...probably one of the best tools for building AND riding.:thumb:

Nov 14, 2004
W.Seattle
hey, i am back and not in black.
ok ok, andy you got a pint random jumps and gaps are not always the best.
tryin to make flow, but but were i am palning to put in a drop is part of the flow....... it will be like a cross over, know what i mean. lets say your rideing down the main trail at the top and you deside to go tot he left off the semi big drop, just to your right in that mess of bushes(witch need to be cleared) there is a ladder back on to the main trail so its not like its a compliet waist of time......
think about it.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Ok...I'm hearing this stuff about bringing out wood, and bridges, and nails and whatnot.....

Does anyone here think that some other people, outside of the DH community might raise holy hell?

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Freak said:
Ok...I'm hearing this stuff about bringing out wood, and bridges, and nails and whatnot.....

Does anyone here think that some other people, outside of the DH community might raise holy hell?

Uh, yep.....I have a feeling this will turn in to Finn Hill.

Corporatefailure said:
we can build we got permission for the city.
and its outa the way..
I think what's there now is pretty damn cool. I have a feeling if it is turned into anything more things will change.....permission or not. Be happy with whats there and hope it stays.

DBR, I think you have the right idea, 1 person to manage it, just be carefull.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Corporatefailure said:
we can build we got permission for the city.
and its outa the way..

WOW.....that's pretty much unheard of!! Good for the city.

Did they give any guidelines as to what can and can't be built?

Nov 14, 2004
W.Seattle
yah were gonna keep it on the down low, we have to have a photo log of what we build and really really just keep every body happy, palce things in smart palce's not just every were.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
depending on the weather, there may be truckfulls heading out to port angeles to ride some private course thingy...dont know the details, but i just know i have to be up arse early if we go...looks like the weekend will be a wash (yay for rain) and if thats the case, sst for me. building saturday, riding sunday.

we will be out there this wednesday to check out what damages were done sunday, monday, and today and fix what needs fixing.

thinking about it now, im going to say a bridge gap over the main line, even though it would be a freakin blast, is a bad idea. it goes against the agreement I have agreed upon with the parks/rec guy.

the construction of a wooded line is very touchy. i got the go ahead with room for movement. it cant be high, has to be safe, and cant do damange to trees. if once it is built, the city revokes the permission to keep the wooded line alive, we will just deconstruct it without haste. the largest issue I see is keeping people from altering things to suit themselves. so far this issue has been minimal, and slowly declining..which is good! so over time, maybe this issue will just go away? *crosses fingers*

Nov 14, 2004
W.Seattle
well, yah i know we are getting ahead of our selves, i just think the top part needs to be more attractive..... in order to keep the lazy people at a minimum....
sean your right regarding the bridge, i bult some stuff(small bridges,3 spine dj jmups) in woods near my house and the people living in the area came a torched the whole place, saying were trying grow weed and stuff down there.... stupid stupid stupid people. they even tryed to call the cops when we were building.
so i know how tochy people are.
think you could switch the build day to sunday? i wanna build with you, partly because you have the best attitude, that alot over other people dont have. And partly because i want to be a part of something, a small community of people that do this sort of thing, its a wonderfull event.
thanks a bunch for the tire,
thanks
frank

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Not that I doubt ya or anything. But, I'm shocked that you say you have permission from the city.
There's no way they would go for what is going on down there. Finn Hill and other areas for example.
Sadly, I would not be surprised to see a bobcat in there soon. For all the reasons you don't want. All it takes is someone who hates mountain biking to lurk right here and go down and take pictures of everything and take those to a city council meeting to see your dreams dashed.
Being a downer? Yeah. But, also a realist.

Good luck though.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Borneo said:
Not that I doubt ya or anything. But, I'm shocked that you say you have permission from the city.
There's no way they would go for what is going on down there. Finn Hill and other areas for example.
Sadly, I would not be surprised to see a bobcat in there soon. For all the reasons you don't want. All it takes is someone who hates mountain biking to lurk right here and go down and take pictures of everything and take those to a city council meeting to see your dreams dashed.

Good luck though.
Bingo!

It takes one person walking though the area and twisting their ankle on a jump, or dog getting hit by a bike that will shut the whole place down. That is one of the pit falls of building on a public park.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
its not a hard thing to digest really.

the parks/rec rep for the city of seatac said none of the trails built in there have been okayed by the city, but are allowed because it has cut back on the homeless population in that area. the only things that need/require permits are the events that need insurance and that is easily obtained from contacting the appropriate person - who I am working on setting up some official and legal clinics with at our riding spot.

softies came up during our conversation and i was told that is allowed only because of the correct channels were used when communicating with the parks/rec dept.

moving forward.

saying there is no way they would go for whats going on down there is quite presumtious...no? not only is the city aware of it, the man who could make/break our fun is fully supportive of it as long as we adhere to his rulesets; which have been followed quite closely since being set. finn hill was torn down because of the land issues out there. more damage was done to nature there, and more pissed residents acted...you know the results. the hikers and other recreationalists at SST are supportive of what we are doing and the fact that families (norman and his family is a perfect example here) growing together out there and progressing in a healthy manner.

someone lurking on here COULD take pics and take them to city council...but city council already has the link to our photogallery of EVERYTHING that is down there...nothing will be a surprise to them that this lurker could bring them...

seriously, the redtape was followed, the correct strings were tugged...and the political game was played correctly. your concern is appreciated though.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Borneo said:

Good luck though.
Soon I here it is soon. Too much over the top. Boy is everyone gonna be mad. And here we go again with the same old argument about how F-up that is for them to tear down all of our stuff. The real thing to be upset over will be the reduction and/or loss of yet another place for many others based on the careless/reckless actions and attitudes of a few. I like SST but feel it has gone way past limits or is very close. This is exactly what got everything torn down at St. Eds. Even stuff that had been there for years and allot of peeps learned and had fun on got torn out. What a shame that a few will risk so much that is really for everyone in moderation. Sorry.....end rant......
:(

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
seand said:
seriously, the redtape was followed, the correct strings were tugged...and the political game was played correctly. your concern is appreciated though.
Sorry, you have signed paper I assume buy your comments. Clocks ticking, seriously.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
evilbob said:
Sorry, you have signed paper I assume buy your comments. Clocks ticking, seriously.

so tell me, what governing authority has given you any proof of what you are insinuating? unless the parks/rec guy is full-oh-crap in telling me what he has been telling me, and is going to tear down both softies and our place to ride, i dont forsee anything happening unless it gets out of hand again.

i DO know that, according to the parks/rec dept, a golf course will be going in on the other side of the street from where the current one is...which means the entire xc area will be gone as well. but according to what I was told, this wont happen for at best, 5 years.

seriously

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
I'll tell you what I do know. The power guys that worked the field thought Stay on Target was really cool. The risk management people didn't.

The folks on the ground thought Shorecrest was cool. Even lobbying for it to stay. Their bosses evidently did not.

Most of the neighbors around Finn Hill thought the jumps were good outlets for the kids. Others did not...

Most parks guys will just look the other way until their hands are forced. Most have no clout at all. Hopefully, this one does.

But, I'll agree with the clock......been burned too many times. I'd get it all confirmed and set in stone before you guys keep putting hard labor in there.
Will your parks contact stake their job on what you're doing? There's a big difference between allowing XC trails and allowing building gaps and drops. Will the city of Sea Tac pay the insurance for it?
Again, I don't want to be a downer, but history has proven otherwise...

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
Borneo said:
I'll tell you what I do know. The power guys that worked the field thought Stay on Target was really cool. The risk management people didn't.

The folks on the ground thought Shorecrest was cool. Even lobbying for it to stay. Their bosses evidently did not.

Most of the neighbors around Finn Hill thought the jumps were good outlets for the kids. Others did not...

Most parks guys will just look the other way until their hands are forced. Most have no clout at all. Hopefully, this one does.

But, I'll agree with the clock......been burned too many times. I'd get it all confirmed and set in stone before you guys keep putting hard labor in there.
Will your parks contact stake their job on what you're doing? There's a big difference between allowing XC trails and allowing building gaps and drops. Will the city of Sea Tac pay the insurance for it?
Again, I don't want to be a downer, but history has proven otherwise...

i just took a shower and was thinking about stay on target actually :)

when it comes down to it, even a notorized document signed by city, builders, etc has no merrit if lawyers fight hard enough. i know if someone really wants the place gone, there is nothing that can be done to stop the destruction of it...

the best we can do to secure a riding spot is to have the city okay with whats happening at present time and do our best to keep in sync with what they want. someone hurts themselves, we can kiss it all goodbye; thats the american way unfortunately...no assumption of liability on anyones part.

i was at the jumps where stay on target was and a guy from the city was there with someone from the power company. both were taking pics of the jumps and both told me that they were fine with them at present.

i know softies has been on the chopping block a few times this summer alone. this last injury from a week ago that came from softies somehow reached the city and kit, the parks/rec guy, said he fought to keep them off the wrong person's desk. i know he can only do so much and will only do so much..but its nice to have a biker in that position.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Jiminy-jillickers...I always miss the party.:(

Fear not, fearful ones - the core builders @ SST have always been aware that an end is inevitable. At this point, we are just trying to make sure that end isn't immediately.
This is the reason I have posted on another site that if builders outside of the core group start mysteriously popping new things up out there, they should not be upset if we demo it...which will likely be the case.
Regardless, we are just going to keep doing what we've been doing for just over a year now and, if all goes well, for several/many years to come. Even if it were to be plowed tomorrow, we have the building experience gained from our efforts...not to mention the multitudes of interactions between the many users of the park - nearly every one of them a positive one. The only negative interaction I've had to date was w/ an arrogant DH'er, of all people.
As with any trail here or anywhere in the world, enjoy it while it lasts.

Bitch less - ride more.
:D