Quantcast

NHL Playoffs . . .

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
They need to either carry the puck through the neutral zone and over the blue line with speed or dump and chase - the in between - half speed **** isn't going to work with the way Detroit is lining up 4 guys along the blue line. You gotta beat that with speed or with a dump in and then go hard into the zone with two men on the loose puck to win it.
Not to mention that it lead to a bunch of miscommunication and offsides calls when the puck holder slowed at the line, and the offside winger plowed in anyway. They even had at least one rush where the puck carrier fvcked around with the puck at the blue line and made himself offsides.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
The half speed thru the neutral zone and indecision at the blue line is what killed the Hawks...especially with Detroit down to 4 D-men. The should have wore them down to a nub after 2 periods, and then atacked with speed down the boards.

That and the lively end boards...

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
I hate those end boards and Pierre Maguire.

Why they continue to give the puck to the gimp to bring into the zone on the PP is crazy. If you are going to carry the puck into the zone at least give it to Malkin or somebody who can skate more than 50% without a blow out knee.

They played a good second period but just could not get the puck in the net. Malkin's breakaway and Mero's wide open net are killers you have to put one of those in.

Game 2 in 45 minutes can't wait.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
This game is much more enjoyable. Pittsburgh is moving their feet, they're winning, and I have a still warm homemade strawberry rhubarb pie to eat while watching. Edit: and the Pens have actually managed to win a few faceoffs.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
McGuire and hhis little mancrushes need to go away. If I hear him call Bylsma "Danny" or Olcyzk "Edzo" one more time I will puke. But it was funny when Milbury called him out between periods, basically telling him he is a dumbass.

Malkin needs a suspension. The rules apply...but not in the final? WTF?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
It's funny to see the Red Wings opponents get so frustrated playing against them.

FYI, only 3 out of the 44 teams that started off 0-2 in the finals have come back to win the series. :monkey:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
fvcking detroit.

on the bandwagon for the finals.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Another win by the Red Wings - It is looking more and more like their year again this year.

Some bad miscues on defense by Pittsburgh - what's with all the fly bys at the point Penguins??? - and some luck by Detroit (two posts, and Zetterberg pulling the puck back over the goal line on that one Crosby rebound), and a botched save by Fleury and that's all they needed.

You basically have to play an almost perfect game to beat them (credit to them) and so far Pittsburgh hasn't been able to get to that level of play yet. They carried play for some solid stretches last night - but make a mistake and the Red Wings make you pay.

I have one question - if that shot by Crosby that was reviewed was not a goal - why wasn't it a penalty shot for covering up the puck in the crease? Osgood definitely did not have the puck under him on that shot - it was under Zetterberg and he was in the crease/net the entire time.

Oh well - I like seeing that Justin Abdelkader play - he's a good young player.

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
How much more luck can one team have?

The worst part is the Pens are not that far away from winning both game. If they were getting out played badly then hey they suck, but they are not.

The instigator at the end of the game was total bull and the NHL said the same thing and that is why he is not getting a game. Hey Scott Walker sucker punched somebody and did not get a game.

While I am on the refs they really do suck. It looks to me that Gary called up and said hey we are on national tv let the boys play. So rodeo time it is. The way that I understand the covering the puck thing is that if he intentually covers it with his hand or any other part of his body which it seems that he did not from the overhead replay. The puck got shot into him and he just sat there. I would not expect him to get up.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I think the officiating has been fine. Let the boys play.

The Penguins have made a few key mistakes and Detroit has made them pay almost every time. You have to play a flawless game to beat Detroit and the system the put in place. It is designed to frustrate the **** out of an opponent and that frustration can lead to trying to force plays etc. etc. - and from there the Red Wings capitalize on the mistakes.

Hopefully with the last change at home - the Penguins can get better match ups and put some pucks behind Osgood. You can't win by only getting 1 goal per game. Perhaps if they can get a few behind Osgood, the floodgates will open.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
- why wasn't it a penalty shot for covering up the puck in the crease? Osgood definitely did not have the puck under him on that shot - it was under Zetterberg and he was in the crease/net the entire time.

Oh well - I like seeing that Justin Abdelkader play - he's a good young player.
Agreed...and agreed. Abdelkaders goal was beautiful. Gotta shoot to score, at least thats what I used to teach my Squirts!

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
I think the officiating has been fine. Let the boys play.
I have no problem with letting them play but when you call the regular season and the first three rounds of the playoffs a certain way you kinda expect them to call the finals the same way and by the first two games they have seemed to go back to the pre-lock out style of hockey.

I had to walk away from the tv after Hossa hooked Dupuis and then slashed him which broke his stick directly resulting in a goal. This is all after the pick off the faceoff which resulted in the first goal.

Yes I am whining but I hate to see any series go down the drain on horrible or missed calls. This is the same way for the Pens if the Wings were getting screwed I would not want to see that either. I want to see good hockey games and the first two games were not modern day hockey.

Game 3 tomorrow night and I have a good feeling. Just win one at a time and winning two is not out of the question. Everyone is western PA is thinking this series is done but I don't know.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I am also tired of hearing about how Detroit interferes with everyone "legally" by setting picks all over the place. Its either legal or not...if it isnt, someone other than a tv commentator should call it. If it is, shut up about it

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I agree with that jagoff jsg04 character! call the game consistently throughout the playoffs.

JohnE, you are knowledgable, and I can tell you have watched a game or two... so let me ask you and Mark this... do you think the way the game is being called by the refs benefits one team over another?

If you look at the pens the team is made up of the majority of younger players who came into the league post lockout. that being said, they are playing the post lockout style of hockey... all season long... including the playoffs till the finals come along, now the refs are saying put the whistles away and let them play? in my mind that benefits the older players who know how to play pre-lockout rules hockey!

Now, I really like how that Darren Helm plays for Detroit! That kid can skate! and Mark, as you stated, Abdelkader is having a fantastic series.

very entertaining to say the least!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
yes I am rooting for the pens, but I still think these refs are kind of blowing it! I mean how can you miss 6 men on the ice for over 20 seconds? and what about the cross check on Z-berg? should have been 2min. there too!

I want the team I am rooting for to beat the other team (no matter what the sport etc.) fair and square. I don't want any room for excuses.

don't get me wrong, I am glad the pens won, but again, I don't want any excuses!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I think the officiating has been pretty consistent - as long as both clubs know what's what -that's cool in my book.

Good game tonight. Detroit penalty kills em in the end.

Ask splat about how I called the score and Talbot scoring into the empty netter at the end earlier today? ;)

Detroit's trapping style of play is so effective - but during some stretches in the second period it got to be kind boring to watch. But the third period was entertaining stuff!

Now can the Pens do it again at home? They have to even it up.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Great game. Good to see the Pens step up. Osgood was out of his mind, and I think Crosby is waiting to explode. Wings better contain him!

It will be interesting to see if Babcocks soemwhat negative comments regarding the officating come back to haunt him.
On the officiating, I think consistency is key. If its called in Oct, call it in June. Not just all playoffs long. KnowwhatImean?

Brunge, great point. At times in the history of the league the reffing has definintiely favored one style or team over another. Flyers back in the 70s, Islanders and Oilers in
the 80s etc. As far as now? The home team seems to be getting a break more often then not...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
JohnE - to say that the refs were a major factor in the success of the Islanders and Oilers mini-dynasties discredits the great play and players on those two teams. Trottier, Bossy, Potvin, Smith etc. etc., Gretzky, Kurri, Fuhr, Anderson, Messier etc. etc. etc!

Those teams were powerhouses!

Yeah there have been some missed calls - and it was weird that they didn't notice or call the too many men on the ice last night - but the game is going at a wicked high pace and the intensity is through the roof - and refs are only human after all. Overall I think the officiating in the finals has been good in terms of penalty calls. The only real question I have is the Zetterberg cover of the puck in the crease after the Crosby shot. I mean that went to review to see if the puck crossed the line, but I'm still not sure why there wasn't a thought about who actually covered the puck in the crease (and it certainly wasn't under Osgood on that one particular play)? But perhaps the ruling is that it has to be a Deliberate act to cover the puck up in the crease vs. being "in" the crease and someone shooting the puck into you? I'd have to read the rule book to double check - and I'm not gonna do that.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Detroit's trapping style of play is so effective - but during some stretches in the second period it got to be kind boring to watch.
Exactly why I hated the New Jersey Devils of a few years ago. That was about the most boring hockey ever.

I thought the Wings played just fine yesterday, other than being outscored.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
do you think the way the game is being called by the refs benefits one team over another?
The refs have to earn the right to work the finals. If they were not good enough to call an even game, they wouldn't be working the finals. You can question a call here and there, but overall the series has been called evenly.

That said, the non-call on the 20 second six men on the ice was terrible. If that happened in the semi finals, those refs wouldn't be working the finals.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
JohnE - to say that the refs were a major factor in the success of the Islanders and Oilers mini-dynasties discredits the great play and players on those two teams. Trottier, Bossy, Potvin, Smith etc. etc., Gretzky, Kurri, Fuhr, Anderson, Messier etc. etc. etc!

Those teams were powerhouses!

Yeah there have been some missed calls - and it was weird that they didn't notice or call the too many men on the ice last night - but the game is going at a wicked high pace and the intensity is through the roof - and refs are only human after all. Overall I think the officiating in the finals has been good in terms of penalty calls. The only real question I have is the Zetterberg cover of the puck in the crease after the Crosby shot. I mean that went to review to see if the puck crossed the line, but I'm still not sure why there wasn't a thought about who actually covered the puck in the crease (and it certainly wasn't under Osgood on that one particular play)? But perhaps the ruling is that it has to be a Deliberate act to cover the puck up in the crease vs. being "in" the crease and someone shooting the puck into you? I'd have to read the rule book to double check - and I'm not gonna do that.
Not trying to discredit those teams at all. They were some of the most powerful teams in history. Perhaps it would be better to say that the style of play being dictated by the league itself benefits teams styles. For instance...the interference and hooking calls. You touch someone with the blade of your stick now and get a hook. Remember when you had to effect the play? "Back in the day" a smart coasch would have sent Dino Ciccarelli to annoy the hell out of Crosby, hook and slash and pull and breath garlic breath into his face to get him off his game. Doesnt happen anymore. NHL wants a wide open game, which I agree with (For the most part...).
And yeah, the non call on Zetterbeg was bad...as was the too many men on the ice. With 2 refs, no way that call should be missed. I think someone (the back ref...) was watching the puck on that play.
What do you think the non call on Hossa, the stick check that broke Cooks (I think) stick and resulted in the goal for Detroit?

Last edited:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Not trying to discredit those teams at all. They were some of the most powerful teams in history. Perhaps it would be better to say that the style of play being dictated by the league itself benefits teams styles. For instance...the interference and hooking calls. You touch someone with the blade of your stick now and get a hook. Remember when you had to effect the play? "Back in the day" a smart coasch would have sent Dino Ciccarelli to annoy the hell out of Crosby, hook and slash and pull and breath garlic breath into his face to get him off his game. Doesnt happen anymore. NHL wants a wide open game, which I agree with (For the most part...).
And yeah, the non call on Zetterbeg was bad...as was the too many men on the ice. With 2 refs, no way that call should be missed. I think someone (the back ref...) was watching the puck on that play.
What do you think the non call on Hossa, the stick check that broke Cooks (I think) stick and resulted in the goal for Detroit?
I didn't think the Hossa stick check was the cause of that goal. There were a lot of other miscues by the Penguins on that goal. I think someone did a "flyby" at the point on that one didn't they? I think it might have been Talbot.

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
Great game! Win on Thur. and they are back in it.

I have to agree with second period being boring. It was very Devil like, line them up on the blue line and clog everything up.

With watching the Pens all playoffs and even after they got Danny on the bench they come out so aggesive at the beginning of periods. Also they don't sit back when they have the lead like they did with Therrien.

I don't know about the whole matchup Zetterburg with Crosby thing. I think it just causes more problem for the Wings when they have to half shift or double shift Zetterburg. Yeah he is kinda shutting down Crosby but other that his cake goal last night he has not done much either.

As for the 6 men on the ice WOW the refs do suck. I can't image how nobody saw that. That is something that you would see in a mite or squirt game. Usually it is the players that notice it first but the Wings must have been sleeping on the bench. It was so funny on the wide camera angle when you see Eaton just slip out the back and go to the bench. With a too many men call anybody can make it including the linesmen if the refs did not see it.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Exactly why I hated the New Jersey Devils of a few years ago. That was about the most boring hockey ever.

I thought the Wings played just fine yesterday, other than being outscored.
I think overall the entire series has been pretty even - with each team having their "bursts of momentum/pressure."

The keys to the first game were - Detroit got their matchups, the Penguins made mistakes (flybys at the point etc) and Detroit made them pay, and they also got the lucky bounces (off the boards goals, and posts by the Pens).

In Game 3 - again pretty even, but mistakes by Detroit (penalties and legit calls too) cost them. I think the Pens also got the benefit of the bounces last night as I think there were a few posts hit by Detroit and then then one shot that got deflected and ended up hitting the top of the net/water bottle holder. Six inches lower and that ends up floating into the back of the net.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
The refs have to earn the right to work the finals. If they were not good enough to call an even game, they wouldn't be working the finals. You can question a call here and there, but overall the series has been called evenly.

That said, the non-call on the 20 second six men on the ice was terrible. If that happened in the semi finals, those refs wouldn't be working the finals.
I agree that throughout a 7 game series it usually evens out, a missed call here and a missed call there will generally even out... but again 20+ seconds of six men? I will hate to see what the Wings get away with on the ol' make up call! and yes the series has been called fairly evenly, I just don't think it is being called the same way the season and the start of the playoffs were called.

OH, and i think the pens are admiring Darren Helm as much as I was, cause they ran him 2 shifts in a row! :lighten:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Helm and Adbelkader(sp?) are young studs that make the Wings look scary in the future. And the young d-guy...whatshisname?

I agree, so far so good on the reffing. It has gone both ways...

Pens stopped the fly bys last night, game 4 will be awesome!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Abdelkader - I like his style of play a lot - US kid too - bodes well for future US Olympic/National team efforts too.

Young D Guy for Detroit - dunno who you are thinking of (Kindl?)

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
I got Sid having a big game and an other 2 goal win may be an EN at the end.