Quantcast

Nicki Sørensen Takes His Fourth Danish National Championship

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Sunday, Saxo Bank-SunGard's Nicki Sørensen took his fourth Danish national championship in road racing when he leaped away from a group of escapees and finished the race in solitude after 208 kilometers in an around the town of Nyborg, Denmark.</p><p>
</p><p>
Before going solo, the Danish veteran jumped away from the main field with teammate, Chris Anker Sørensen and Martin Mortensen (Leopard Trek), Troels Vinther (Glud&Marstrand LRØ Rådgivning) og Michael Reihs (Christina Watches-Onfone). On the way to the finish line, the two Saxo Bank-SunGard riders took turns escaping from the group and finally, the last opponent was simply too tired to respond and Nicki Sørensen soloed his way to cheering crowd on the finish line.</p><p>
</p><p>
"First and foremost I have to thank the team for excellent support and a job well done. We played our cards just right. In the final part of the race, both Chris (Sørensen) and I are in the crucial break but I didn't want company at the finish line so I wanted to go alone. I managed to go alone and kept everyone behind. I'm truly happy about this result.</p><p>
</p><p>
Also Saxo Bank-SunGard team owner, Bjarne Riis was happy about the team's work:</p><p>
</p><p>
“It was a very exciting and beautiful race that developed to our advantage when both Nicki (Sørensen) and Chris Anker (Sørensen) escaped from the main field in very high speed. Nicki is very strong at the moment, he was obviously extremely motivated and he finished the job in great style by crossing the finish line all alone after a very intense and fast race,” said Saxo Bank-SunGard team owner, Bjarne Riis after the race.</p><p>
</p><p>
Both Nicki Sørensen and Chris Anker Sørensen are participating in Tour de France starting this Saturday.</p>

More...