Quantcast

Nico Showing The Kids How It Is Done!

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

Nico snagged 3rd at the EWS. If you add up 1st and 2nd places ages you get his! Just insane.....and he is naturally going bald. Not the steroid balding we may begin to see in the EWS series as it gains more riders and funding.......

Men

1. Richie Rude
2. Martin Maes
3. Nico Vouilloz
4. Jerome Clementz
5. Florian Nicolai
6. Yoann Barelli
7. Damien Oton
8. Jared Graves
9. Theo Galy
10. Francois Bailly Maitre

Women

1. Cecile Ravanel
2. Anneke Beerten
3. Isabeau Courdurier
4. Ines Thoma
5. Anita Gehrig
6. Rae Morrison
7. Katy Winton
8. Carolin Gehrig
9. Florencia Espineira
10. Camila Noguiera

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Being that the two first place finishers were like 19/18, I'm pretty sure what happened is literally the opposite of this thread title.

But still a legit finish for a washed up downhiller in his 80's!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I have a full head of my own hair, am way older than Nico and have consumed way MOAR drugkz than the entire EWS field combined. What do I win?

Nico still rules... but all those spaz endo turns are kinda his fault

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Sounds like he lost a chain and had to go grab it uphill then install it at the bottom and it may have broke a second time after as well.....

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
What's up with Speci bikes breaking chains? Not the first incident, although he didn't Gwin. Too short chain stays or what? :clue:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Enduro does not need a forum section as Enduro is with us at all times, in our hearts, in our heads, in the very air that we breathe. I am Enduro. You are Enduro. We are ALL Enduro!
I thought it was called mountain biking? And bro-fessionalizing mates races to kill everything that was fun in them and make this a new trend shows how little the bike industry understands mountain biking.
It ticks me off every time someone tells me they go and ride an enduro loop. Don't lie to yourself, you go and ride your MTB in the woods. Enduro is a race format on trail bikes not your weekend ride (and no, riding the same bike as Nico and wearing the same colorway kit doesn't make you as fast as him).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
but what if I have the same 14 speed drivetrain as he? There's no way I can possibly enjoy my ride unless I can climb a near vertical face and not spin out at 50mph with the same front chainring.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I thought it was called mountain biking? And bro-fessionalizing mates races to kill everything that was fun in them and make this a new trend shows how little the bike industry understands mountain biking.
It ticks me off every time someone tells me they go and ride an enduro loop. Don't lie to yourself, you go and ride your MTB in the woods. Enduro is a race format on trail bikes not your weekend ride (and no, riding the same bike as Nico and wearing the same colorway kit doesn't make you as fast as him).
UDI needs to make a graph to see if your big mad or little mad.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
After watching the 20 minutes recap of that last enduro race, I'm not sure I'd even equate that with what I like to do on a bike in the woods with my friends. they rode pretty much 50km each day. Maybe 15-20 of those kms were stages. That leaves at least 30 km (18.6 mi) of fire-road/dirt road. I would rather stab my eyes out than ride fire-roads/dirt roads for close to 20 mi. No matter how good the "stages" are. screw that, they can keep their enduro.

The other thing I got to thinking about is how they are all wearing full-faces. What's up with that? The highlights didn't really show anywhere where they need full faces, and then they have to wear them for 30 mi of road?! as I said before, screw that.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
While I agree with your FUCK Enduro sentiment you're kinda lucky and in a minority if you manage to ride 30miles/5000ft+ in different locations each day without ever riding a single stretch of fire road.

Tools paying £80+ to ride trails and then being forced to wear full face helmets on fireroad climbs tho. You simply couldn't make this shit up. :D

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
man you guys sure like to shit on people riding bikes and having fun, however they choose to do it.
on topic : nice to see nico still competitive on a bike.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I don't have very many large hills in my neck of the woods. My rides typically last between 2 and 3 hours (usually closer to 2) and cover less than 12 mi. of up and down, rocky, rooty twisty trails. Very little sustained up and down. The longest climb I have is about 45 minutes, and the descent is about the same (mostly because there's a shit-ton of climbing in the "descent"). Maybe if I lived elsewhere I'd get used to riding fire/dirt roads to get to the goods, but for me, right now, it doesn't sound like fun at all.

The one enduro race I did was in vermont at Killington. It was a one-day affair, with two Gondola lift-rides up. It was still a really long day, but we got to ride the entire mountain 2.5x. It was hard but fun. No fire-road, just a climb up a ski slope.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
You must be new here, so welcome to Ridemonkey!

And no, it isn't a coincidence that the main theme color for the site is a reptilian green.
haha! it's been a while since the enduro negativity seemed to stand out so much, so i figured i'd throw out the standard 'why you gotta be like that?' reply.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I don't have very many large hills in my neck of the woods. My rides typically last between 2 and 3 hours (usually closer to 2) and cover less than 12 mi. of up and down, rocky, rooty twisty trails. Very little sustained up and down. The longest climb I have is about 45 minutes, and the descent is about the same (mostly because there's a shit-ton of climbing in the "descent"). Maybe if I lived elsewhere I'd get used to riding fire/dirt roads to get to the goods, but for me, right now, it doesn't sound like fun at all.

The one enduro race I did was in vermont at Killington. It was a one-day affair, with two Gondola lift-rides up. It was still a really long day, but we got to ride the entire mountain 2.5x. It was hard but fun. No fire-road, just a climb up a ski slope.
A 45 minute climb sounds like a decent-sized hill to me! Unless of course you're walking up.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Sounds like he lost a chain and had to go grab it uphill then install it at the bottom and it may have broke a second time after as well.....
Jesus what's with specialized bikes and chains? No chain stretch all chain break

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Enduro does not need a forum section as Enduro is with us at all times, in our hearts, in our heads, in the very air that we breathe. I am Enduro. You are Enduro. We are ALL Enduro!
For my ally is teh Enduro. And a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel teh Enduro around you... Here, between you, me... the tree... the rock.... everywhere!