Quantcast

Nicolai M-Pire

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
I have used the search function and found answers to most of my questions, however I have a couple that I could'nt find answers for.

If I did get this bike this would be my first "true bike...." . Since I am new to riding DH/FR would this be a bike that would suit me well?? I look at it three ways: 1. If I got this bike I would be able to xpand and learn new skills and eventualy be able to use this bike to its full potentail. 2. Getting this bike with a nice and solid set-up would eliminate my having to spend more money upgrading a lower end bike or buying a more capable bike (once I am a more experienced bike rider). 3. Get a bike more suited to my experience lvl and upgrade/buy a better bike when I am a more experienced bike rider.

Also, I read that there customer service here in the States in less than satisfactory. Has this problem been fixed or is it still the same?? One more thing, how does this bike handle big guys?? I am about 6'1" and 245 pounds, I tryin to loose weight and get down to around 220.

Sorry if what I wrote is confusing, I am not the best writer, and I thank you in advance for all your input.

BTW: The bike isused and it has an AWESOME PARTS SPEC on it.

-Timmy

ghettogt76

Monkey
Dec 5, 2001
Pleasant Hill, Kali'fo'nya
I bought one after owning a Giant ATX DS, Norco shore, and a Giant DH Team. If this is your first "real" bike, then I wouldn't get something this big. Honestly, the bike I learned the most on was a 6" travel front and rear bike... just enough to soak up the big stuff, but not so big that you can just go straight through everything. I say buy a smaller bike now, and upgrade later. That's what I did, and honestly, it's more fun like that other than buying one big bike at the beginning (it's fun to buy new bikes :D).

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
The thing is that I am working with a limited budget, I still have to buy a car, pay for school, and get a bike. The job I work at is not the greatest, I only get paid by tips, and I only work on weekends. I make about 600-800 a month, not bad for an 18 year old. So getting 2 bikes is a hard thing to swallow.

I have all summer to go out and ride and learn, I also learn and pick things up very quikly, especially when it comes to bikes, I have been riding bikes since I was 3 years old. However getting a bike that is more apropriate to my experience level my better suit me. Hmmm... decisions, decisions......

ghettogt76

Monkey
Dec 5, 2001
Pleasant Hill, Kali'fo'nya
I know what you mean, I only make about $1300 per month while going to school, and it's hard to balance things out.

I started riding on hardtails a long time ago, and moved my way up. You will be a much smoother rider (not that I am one to talk, LOL) if you start out on a bike that doesn't have gobs of travel, IMO. My first FS bike had like 4" rear wheel travel and like 3" up front, I thought it was awesome!

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
I was thinking about getting a Transition Trail or Park...... On the plus side I have not read anything bad about them, and they are a local company.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Yeah, the main deal with buying a big bike right off the bat is that you'll learn to rely on the suspension, rather than your skill, to get you through tough spots. If you can clear a section skills-wise, regardless of the bike, you're golden. Suspension is there to simply help smooth things out, not take the full force of the hit.

I totally understand the feeling of WANTING a bike. I always get attached to something and I hate the feeling of letting it go, especially if it's a sick frame such as the M-pire.

Just curious, what bike are you riding now? How long have you been on it, and what type of riding have you been doing lately?

If you've been rockin' a hardtail on the DH courses and are able to keep up with your friends who are on 4-6" bikes, if not more, then by all means, you're probably ready for a bike of that calibur. If not, I would suggest getting something along the lines of an AC, preston FR, Dirtbag (those are just ones off of the top of my head) -- 4-6" -- and riding that for a year or so. After that, you can progress more and more.

Ideally, a hardtail would be best for learning skills. If your financial situation dictates that you can't get a FS bike, a hardtail will be cheaper. Again, I don't know your current riding level, so I can't give an accurate "prescription" as to what bike will benefit you most.

Lumpy_Gravy

Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
If the trails you plan on riding are 100% DH then get a bike for that purpose.

There is no point getting a bike that isn't suited to the sport in an attempt to increase your skills by making an already difficult track even more difficult.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Lumpy_Gravy said:
If the trails you plan on riding are 100% DH then get a bike for that purpose.

There is no point getting a bike that isn't suited to the sport in an attempt to increase your skills by making an already difficult track even more difficult.
That's true, but you can ride just about any kind of bike on any track, unless it's something that'll fall apart (i.e. wal-mart bike/road bike). It's not just an attempt to increase skills, either. It WILL increase your skills. Skills are much more valuable than suspension is. It just so happens that you will most likely learn some of the WRONG skills if you start out on a big couchy rig. In short, learning the right skills first will help you the most in the long run. It's extremely hard to forget what you've already learned and replace it with something new, which may happen to be better. (I am by no means good at this... It's just simply good advice that I've heard... now I'm passing it on)

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Yeah but think about it this way... You want a DH bike for DH riding. Why bother spending the money and intentionally get a smaller bike just to bring up your skills when you know you might not have as much fun? Then the next year, you have to try to sell your smaller bike, take a hit in the wallet because you just beat the crap out of it, and then put more money down to buy a full DH bike?

You said you had a hardtail right? During the year, use that bike to clean up your skills a little bit. Actually, I've tried it. I'd ride my DH bike every weekend and then tried my hardtail to ride DH. It sucked but after when I got back on the big bike, I felt a little quicker.

As for Nicolai, I haven't had any problems with my frame. I've been cursed with having crappy rear shocks but that's about it. Unless you hit a tree full-on you shouldn't have a big problem. Plus there's enough industry guys here with good leads that can help you out if you need something.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Yeah, ok, I'll leave my argument and say, if you're riding DH, then yes, you should get a DH bike. I have a feeling you're beyond the skill level I've percieved you to be -- I somehow got the idea, "super-duper beginner who has hardly touched a bike before"... I missed when you said you'd been riding since you were three. I think go for it. It's a siiick frame (mainly 'cause it's a nicolai :D... I've always had a thing for 'em). At this point, it'll probably benefit you most to get a big bike to learn the more.. not necessarily "advanced" skills (i.e. cornering, unweighting, pumping, looking ahead etc.) (I still suck at all of these), but the ones that people generally don't think about until they've been riding for a while.

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
Aren't those ridiculously expensive? Why don't you just get something less exotic, (IE cheaper and more avalible) like a Turner DHR or something?

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
Hey everyone thnx for all the good advice, however the only riding I have done was trail ridin and such with freinds as a kid. I have never owned a "real" bike, I have always owned bikes like Huffy.... so on and so forth, and I have always thought they limited what I wanted to do on my bike. It was until about two, maybe 3 years ago that I started getting serious about wanting to get a "real" bike and actually ride, and take advantage of what a mountain bike is made for.

Thus, I have never had any experience on a "real" mountain bike, such as Kona, Norco, Specialized ect. etc. etc. I still have a little bit of time to decide what I want to do... I can always give Transition Bikes a call and take a test ride on there bikes, considering they are just about 45 mins from where I live.

So, considering that I have never owned a "real" bike, and I want to get into DH/FR should I just get a hard tail and ride it until I feel that I am able to fully use a "true" DH/FR bike. Or should I get a bike that is more suited to my riding ability, and that can I can expand into more DH/FR type riding such as a Bullit, Stinky, Coiler, Dirt Bag, Big Hit etc. etc.

Well everyone I have to go for about an hour, talk to yall in a bit.

-Timmy

static9

Chimp
Jun 17, 2004
Santa Cruz, Ca
I would tend to agree with most everyone who has posted already. Go for something with shorter travel, 4"-6", it will make u a much better rider in the end. And unless u live right next door to REAL DH, or a ski resort, u'll be wasting your money and the bike'll be too big anyway. Even a Turner DHR is a bit overkill i'd say.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I agree with the idea if you're not within 2 hours of a DH spot (with chairlifts or a shuttle service that doesn't cost a lot), don't bother with a DH bike.

I lived in Montreal all my life and I've been riding at Bromont for the past 5-6 years I guess. I started with a freeride bike with 5 or 6" travel and then got into DH bikes (Giant DH, BB7, Nicolai Nucleon). Bromont was 1 hour or 1-1/4 hours maximum from my front door. It was great. I moved to Victoria BC just a few months ago. My bike is in the second little room in my place. I have been really busy but I'm not too motivated to go riding since Mount Washington is about 2-1/2 hours away (if you drive like a maniac), Mt. Prevost has a shuttle service and is 45min away. Each run costs $5cdn!!! Do I wish I had a 5-6" all-mountain bike??? Damn right!!!

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
The Nicolai I "was" thinkin about gettin is used, but... I am currently thinkin about gettin a bike from Transition Bikes. I am gonna give them a call tomorow and try to schedule a test ride with them this week. Once again everyone thnx for all the good feedback.

-Timmy

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
yonton228 said:
The Nicolai I "was" thinkin about gettin is used, but... I am currently thinkin about gettin a bike from Transition Bikes. I am gonna give them a call tomorow and try to schedule a test ride with them this week. Once again everyone thnx for all the good feedback.

-Timmy

Ill chime in since i know your riding area....

I also think a full blown DH bike would be overkill. Sure you may have a better time at whistler, or up i-90, but ask yourself are you really gonna ride there enough to make that level of bike pay off? Transition would be a great way to go. Its maybe cheaper? Depending on what the used Mpire costs... The dirtbag can be built pretty good for 6-7" all around riding. And they are a great local bunch so ive heard. I ride my DH bike in Cap forest alot, but enjoy the area alot more on my 5/5 bike.. i just do the DHR runs to keep a feel for when racing comes around. Also, if you buy new you will have more support if you have issues....

Good luck, ,maybe see ya in the forest some time??

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
Once I get a bike hopefully I will finally be able to meet some people from here on the monkey. Whooops, I forgot to go to Olympia today, I gotta get my pops sumtin for his birthday.

B

bighitfsr

I would go for a complete DH bike from one of the major brands or a least a bighit/black diamond freeride bike.

I would strongly reccomend a complete DH bike as you save a lot of money versus a custom build. Also not being an expirienced rider you wont know which components to build the bike with. As your skills develop you will also learn what setup works best for your riding style and you'll also learn which components on your bike you tend to be hardest on and can upgrade those as they break.

For example you may or may not have issues with clipping your pedals on rocks, if you do you may want to run shorter cranks (165mm vs 175mm) but your not going to know that without riding a DH bike on some DH trails and letting your riding style develop. Another example is chain ring size, until you've ridden some you wont know what chain guide and chain ring size suites your riding style and the trails you ride. Letting the manufacturer decide this for you is a safer bet, plus you pay a premium for a custom build (my guess is 25% or more).

I started riding XC on hardtails and quickly progressed into riding DH on the same hardtail. Me and my riding buddies destroyed our hardtails pretty quickly and moved up to mid travel duallys then DH bikes.

I feel that I'm a reasonably smooth rider but this is not from learning on a hardtail. I feel my riding skills would have progressed fastest If I'd started on a full on DH rig. You can ride DH trails on hardtails and even do big drops but the technique is very different from riding a DH bike. The best line on a DH bike is often very different than on a hardtail. In particular learning high speed handling particularly counter steering and leaning in corners will be very slow on a hardtail. At high speeds on a hardtail you'll be pretty much be out of control and wont beable to learn these high speed handling skills. Even something a simple as bunny hopping is totally different on a DH bike than a HT.

The fastest way to become a good DHer IMO is at a ski resort with a DH bike.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
bighitfsr said:
/black diamond freeride bike.
You're not allowed using that term here :)

bighitfsr said:
I would strongly reccomend a complete DH bike as you save a lot of money versus a custom build. Also not being an expirienced rider you wont know which components to build the bike with.
From the sounds of it, he doesn't live too close to a nice DH spot.

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
See here is my problem, I am new to mountain biking and have not met anyone in my area that rides yet, so I do not know where many riding areas are yet; mostly I just ride around with freinds and have fun. I also do not have a car yet, but in August hopefully I will get my truck. I am thinking that a bike more like a Transition Dirtbag Or Santa Cruz Bullit will suit my needs, or I can get a bike that has less travel than that say around 4-6" and ride that until my skills progress. Or... I can get a hardtail and rock that for a while... descision descions.

-Timmy

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
yonton228 said:
See here is my problem, I am new to mountain biking and have not met anyone in my area that rides yet, so I do not know where many riding areas are yet; mostly I just ride around with freinds and have fun. I also do not have a car yet, but in August hopefully I will get my truck. I am thinking that a bike more like a Transition Dirtbag Or Santa Cruz Bullit will suit my needs, or I can get a bike that has less travel than that say around 4-6" and ride that until my skills progress. Or... I can get a hardtail and rock that for a while... descision descions.

-Timmy
Yeah, sounds like you want a versatile bike. I'd get something lightish, 5-6"-ish (or a good hardtail...), with 2 chainrings and maybe a chainguide to fit (DRS).

MD

Guess?Who

Monkey
Nov 21, 2003
S.I.N.Y
Wow I been away for a while, but I always love a Nicolai thread.

I agree with everyone who suggested to get a smaller bike. What you need is a long travel trail bike especially if there are no DH ski areas around you. Take a look at the Yeti ASX, Gemini, or something more along that line.
Even if you are an experienced rider you may not want that much bike. It all depends on the trails. For example my Nucleon ST plows thru every thing and drops with confidence at Plattekill but it's over kill for Diablo trails.
Since Diablo is an 1:20 from me, I'm also leaning towards a lighter bike.
If everything goes as planned I should be expecting a Nicolai frame with 6"- 8" travel this week.

Guess?Who

Monkey
Nov 21, 2003
S.I.N.Y
ChrisRobin said:
Oh you bastard...

Which one?

I don't want to jinx myself before getting it so I won't say much. I always think negative when buying something on ebay. Lets just say it's what I've been looking for.
I'll post pics as soon as it arrives. He told me Wednesday.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
yonton228 said:

-Timmy
I know cap forest well. When you get your bike drop me a line, i can shop ya the goods.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
My $0.02:
A 5-6" bike like an Enduro Pro or an SX Trail would be what I'd look at. I got my '04 Enduro (5/5) down to about 26#s and use it pretty much for everything that requires going up. I also have a steel XC HT (80/0) which I use when the Enduro is down or when I just want to climb like a friggin' monkey. I do hike-a-bikes w/ my DH (8/8) when the lifts are closed just to keep feel, but I do live not too far from Keystone and Vail.
Anyway, there's a slightly different skillset and fitness needed to ride each type of bike. My thinking is if you're going to do mostly woods and FR, a heavy trail bike/light FR bike w/ 2 rings might be a good fit. The Bullit (say 6/7 or 7/7) you mentioned w/ 2 rings would be a really good fit in my thinking. If you go slightly less (5.5/6) it'll still work, but this can also teach you to "float" over things instead of bashing into them in fast, more DH oriented trails. I'm looking for a frame to build around this amount of travel to jump around on cement with :D

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
Hey thnx Oly for the offer, I am sending an email to the guys at Transition Bikes today to see if I can test ride there bikes. Over all like most of you are suggesting I am gonna look for a bike with 5-7" of travel that still can be pedal fairy decent like a Bullit, ASX, etc. etc. etc.

One more thing, Oly if you know of anyone who is tryin to sell a bike that would fit my needs and that live here in Washington think you could drop me a Pm. Thnx everyone for all the input.

PS. I am 6'1" ish and 245 pounds, tryin to get down to 220 ish.

-Timmy