Quantcast

Nicotine and Cardio Function

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Anyone know anything about how nicotine impacts your aerobic capacity? I made the mistake of getting hooked on snoose (chewing tobacco) over the last few months. I am now sucking wind big time whenever I bike, spar or run.

I’m not really ready to quit chewing, but I really hate dragging butt. Anybody have some insight or links?

Yeah, I’m aware it is a nasty habit and oral cancer is a real treat. That’s not my question right now.
:monkey:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Isn't it enough to just know that it hurts your aerobic capacity? Are you looking for statistics or what?

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
I’m looking for information on the physiology impacts of nicotine in the long term. I know short term it is a vaso-constrictor, increasing pulse and raising blood pressure. But that is an acute response to having the tobacco in your mouth.

I’m coming off 6 weeks of inactivity, lousy food, weight gain and dipping snoose. That is all working towards me hurting aerobically. I’ve got a handle on the exercise and diet and am working to bring that into balance. I’ve got a little addiction issue that is tougher to get control of. Looking to understand what this crap is doing to me so I can choose when to drop it.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
That's the obvious answer, but there's a lot of rationalization and enjoyment that' I'm going through. ;)

Did some more searching found some peer reviewed papers suggesting the long term impact of smokeless tobacco aren't major on cardio function. That just leaves the cancer, stained teeth and lovely spitting issues....

abstract
Sports Science Paper

Feb 6, 2004
San Diego
snuff is so toxic and there are probably lots of pictures on the web of mouth/throat cancer. it has more nicotine than cigs and that makes it that much harder to quit.

get some nicotine gum now before it gets too difficult.

i dont know of health impacts from just the nicotine but its how you get it into your body that creates long term health issues.

i stupidly resorted to snuff during college because i was stressing out big time. i dont think it impacted my aerobic capacity at all but it was REALLY difficult to quit.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I chewed Copenhagen from the time I was 12 or 13 until I was 31 or so... I can't say that I ever noticed a problem when I was a road racer but I do know I was never better than a mid packer - coincidence? Probably not.

I didn't quit because of health reasons - I quit because of the cost. When I started it was like 55 cents a can and easily acquired by minors. Then one day I was at the 7-11 about to buy a can and discoverd that the price had gone up to just over $5.00 and I had a can a day habbit... right at the counter I made my mind up to quit and have not had any since. I did get pretty fat though since I started eating snack foods instead of dipping.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
dipping is just gross. the grossness factor alone should be enough too help you give it up. it looks gross, it smells gross, it tastes gross, and that big gulp you have in your cup holder that you've been spitting in for 3 weeks is GROSS. :p

cancer is a scary thing. the threat enough should really wake you up.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
man i am trying to quit the snoose as well. I picked it up when i quit smoking cigs....go figure.... but that main factor that is helping me quit is the outrageous prices around here. 10$ for a can of cope long cut! So i dont buy it anymore, but still will bum a chew off people i know, and i need to just let it go. I hate what it does too my teeth and lip. its fcuking nasty i tell ya. But i am glad that i quit the cancer sticks. i'd say the chew helped me out that way.
peace

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Yeah, I've been hooked on dip for the past year or so. I'm going to need to quit before I go to boot camp, luckily my ship date has gotten moved back again so I've got another couple weeks before I start quitting ;) . Damn you nicotine! I actually started using that smoke away stuff you see on TV last night, I'll tell you how it goes.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
$10 for a can in Pullman? Dude, make the trip over to Moscow. Washington taxes must be through the roof. We pay about $5 here in Boise.

I'm dipping the swedish snoose via the web. It's quite tasty and allegedly less deadly.... Price is compatible with homegrown even with shipping.

Uhmmm - damn, that was the addict spouting off. Disregard the above, Spud does not condone the use of smokeless tobacco and encourages everyone to avoid its wrath....

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
lol....spud you aint helpin. I know that i can get cheap copenhagen in moscow but....but... well i dont want a can. If i buy one then i;m gonna throw fat dips in my lip until its gone. bad news if ya ask me.... peace

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Boost - yer bringing back old memories. Back in the day everyone from pullman made the trip to Moscow for drinking. That was when Idaho had a 19 year old drinking age. The bar scene was great with all the cougs coming over to party. Morts, the Spruce, Hose-apples, sigh, brings a tear to my eye.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
spud, now we head over to moscow to take advantage of cheap cigarettes and booze. You can get a 5th of ol jimmy beam for like 3 bucks cheaper in the moscow liquor store:D

also one cant forget the mardi gra festivities. :cool:

Plus moscows like a real town:eek: with real people and hippies and trees and stuff. Nice to get a breath of reality after being couped up in college ville for too long.

peace

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
This is the longest I've gone in 8 months without packing a lip. It's been about a day and a half so far. I don't know if this smoke away stuff is really helping because my cravings are rediculous. I feel like killing somebody. I just want to put half a tin of kodiak ice in my lip right now. Grrr.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I stopped using the smoke away stuff. I feel like I should just gut it out, especially since one of my best friends is quitting too. The smoke away stuff definatly helps with your cravings, you really forget about dipping/smoking.

I'm really missing packing a lip though. :(

bmies

Chimp
Mar 28, 2004
damn this thread is making me want to take a dip. I started dipping last summer pretty steadily. Prior to that, I would bum one off people or buy a can once and a while. Over last summer everyone I worked with dipped like a feen were talking 2 cans a day, so I gradually would buy a can every 4 days or so. In college now, it was a great relaxation from crew, pledging, school work, and living in a big ****ing city. I havent taken a dip in a few weeks. Prices are insane up here in the North East. 7.60 for a can of Cope while I would pay under 3 dollars back home in Tennessee. Just quit by getting sick. My throat got really ****ed up from being sick and taking a dip was the last thing I wanted to do, so I have since seen it as an opportunity to quit.

Tyler

Chimp
Feb 20, 2003
I dont really notice any areobic side affects from dipping. I did when i smoked. I asked my friend what he did when he quit smoking and he sugessted it . So i tried and it works to get the nicotine but it doesn't help with pyshical additicon of smoking.Doesn't dip have like 4 times the nicotine in it then smoking does?well all i can suggest if your not worried about mouth cancer then keep doing it. If you are worried about it then stop while our ahead. It is ten times harder to stop dipping then it is to stop smoking.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
quitting chew has been alot harder to do than when i quit smoking. (as i have a dip in right now)

i think the most effective thing for me is to just not buy any...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
kodiak ice man, if i chewed that i wouldnt have a problem quitting at all. ;)

cope long cut for me.

the biggest complaint i have about chew besides it eating my lip and potential cancer, is that when i'm riding and i spit, some always has to land on my shoulder. :mad:

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I can't get over the taste of Cope Long Cut. It just tastes weird to me. I dig Cope Snuff hardcore. I'll pack that all day (now that I can actually dip snuff and finecut). I just love the taste of Kodiak Ice. I was dipping Skoal Wintergreen FC and Cope Snuff for a while, but the taste of Kodiak Ice just keeps me coming back to it. It sucks because I have to pack a solid horseshoe into my bottom lip and sometimes the upper lip gets some at the same time to quell my nicotine addiction. I'm just glad I get my dip at the PX on base where it's tax free. If I had to buy it retail at some place in Mass I'd have to switch to one of the stronger ones.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Pansies. When I chewed I dipped Copenhagen Snuff or Key. Key could knock you on your ass the first few times. I used to gut it around the ladies too... :dead:
If I could find Key around here, I'd try it. I've heard good things from my granddad's Huntsman. I'll have to check it out when I'm in the midwest next month.

I've got no problem gutting Copenhagen or Skoal Straight, but any of the flavored dips I just can't gut 'em.

Just packed a fatty hooch of Cope Black. I might switch over to this. It's a great dip. It's a medium cut so I don't have the trouble that snuff gives me. Tastes like Jim Beam. Smells like it also, so you might not want to get pulled over when you're dipping it.

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
Originally posted by Spud
$10 for a can in Pullman? Dude, make the trip over to Moscow. Washington taxes must be through the roof. We pay about $5 here in Boise.

I'm dipping the swedish snoose via the web. It's quite tasty and allegedly less deadly.... Price is compatible with homegrown even with shipping.

Uhmmm - damn, that was the addict spouting off. Disregard the above, Spud does not condone the use of smokeless tobacco and encourages everyone to avoid its wrath....
Dude!!! A fellow snuser! I go through a can of Gustavus about every two days and I don't notice any cardio changes as opposed to when I didn't snus. It is significantly less carcinogenic than the more familiar American smokeless tobacco. Studies have proven it. However, as we all know, anything fun is not good for you, except sex.....Snus on brother! :thumb:

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
And keep it in the upper lip! If anyone doesn't know snus, you pop a lil baggy in yer upper lip and it requires no spitting. You can eat, drink or anything with one in your lip. And you still get a nice nicotine rush. :)

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Question about snus: Where in Mass can you get it, or is it only over the web? I'm weary of using the web for buying snuff because when I tried to order a log of Skoal Straight over the web it was rediculously stale. I'm talking it didn't even have the new fresh snap lids. So, what's the deal on Snus?

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
DUD, YOU WANT THE PROBE WHISKEY. JIMMY IS RIGHT ABOUT THE SNUS. TAKE A LOOK AT THE SNUS STUDIES IN SWEDEN BETWEEN SNUS USERS AND NON USERS. THE THING ABOUT THE USA TOBACCO IS THAT THEY ARE AFRAID YOU'LL QUIT TOO EASY SO THEY PUT RAT POISIN, MOTOR OIL, LIQUID FREON, AMMONIA NITRATE, GASOLINE AND GLASS IN IT. F SKOAL AND THE REST OF THEM FOR PUTTING ALL THAT SHEITE INTO THEIR STUFF. SWEDISH SNUS IS THE WAY TO GO IF YOUR A FULL TIMER. PLUS THE CRAP IS DIRT CHEAP. I SPENT $100 AND HAD LIKE 45 CANS IN MY FRIDGE. SNUS ON BRUTHA. I SMOKE AND SNUS, SMOKE PRIMARILY. I CAN'T QUIT. TOTAL F'N JUNKIE. STICK A FORK IN ME, I'M DONE :dead:
Knuckle

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Hah. Right on Jimmy - Gustavus is the sh*t, also like grovsnus. I order from Northerner.com as well. Good prices, fast shipping and fresh product.

Stay away from the rocker stuff. Bone dry and nasty coarse pouches like astroturf.

Northerner did lose one order on me, so I'm down to my last can of loose skruff. That drifts quite a bit so it's a pain for use at work.