Quantcast

.>>> Nigh on twelve <<<.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Last day at Kingdom Trails. Not sure what's on tap for riding, but something easy I hope. I'm pretty tired. Rain showers on the way in a few hours, so we need to get moving.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Here. Every day is an incremental improvement over the last one. Even if I feel crummy. I was able to walk for a couple of blocks on Friday.

Got my staples removed yesterday, so I am one day closer to being able to shower. I think I'll try tomorrow. I guess I have to wait for the staple holes to heal and close before actually taking a shower.

Also voted yesterday. I can't wait for this stupid election to be done and over with.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Kicking back with some coffee and enjoying the resulting shit show from some Karen DDS complaining about a local flow trail being too difficult and that the breaking bumps are too rough to skid through.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Just sprayed a hornet’s nest. Experienced some primal moments of fear. No stings and I think the nest is quite saturated indeed with its neurotoxins so I deem it a success

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Super fun 15 mile rip in Bentonville. Hell of a scene they are creating here out of what was basically nothing. My fast as shit friend took me for a spin, kinda like mach-ing groomers, fun in it's own fast way. Wifey would LOVE it. Onward to Kansas...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Hello monkeys. Not sure where ride today. Might save my legs for a ride with big boys on Tuesday.

Yesterday was my last ride ever on e13 tires. I don't have the skill to use them for their intended purpose and I don't have the will to put up with the rolling resistance on the trails I do ride. I traded them to the kid at the LBS for a $2.00 presta adapter that I have already lost.

If I get ambitious I might get tires back on the giggle pig and go for a courtesy spin.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Got 11 miles in this morning with wife, splat, and junior splat. 94 miles for the four day trip, which feels like a lot of riding. And a four day MTB trip with the wife sure does generate a lot of laundry. Got home and ran 5 miles.

My right shoulder hurts like a bastard. I jammed it on a downhill handlebar check into a tree (did not crash), then landed on it on a hard endo (did crash). It's a good pain though. :monkey: Also, my neck hurts, which I don't know is from whiplash from the crash, or odd sleeping on an uncomfortable bed for three nights.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Saw @Nick. Gave him old tool chest and bunch or storage stuff. Bunch more large stuff out of the garage. Only have the workbench I made for a friend and filing cabinet for MIL left to get rid of, then it's about moving things around to get space to work better.

Did a Nick assessment on Haley's bike, so more things that can be done to work better for her (based on her complaints) have been found. Her bike is too nice, but dammit, she will have the tools to get the job done.

Got 11 miles in this morning with wife, splat, and junior splat. 94 miles for the four day trip, which feels like a lot of riding. And a four day MTB trip with the wife sure does generate a lot of laundry. Got home and ran 5 miles.

My right shoulder hurts like a bastard. I jammed it on a downhill handlebar check into a tree (did not crash), then landed on it on a hard endo (did crash). It's a good pain though. :monkey: Also, my neck hurts, which I don't know is from whiplash from the crash, or odd sleeping on an uncomfortable bed for three nights.
Catching a bar at high speed has bitten me a few times. It can raise hell with one's shoulders.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Catching a bar at high speed has bitten me a few times. It can raise hell with one's shoulders.
Doesn't help that it was the last run of the day...solo run down the old Burnham Down. BTW that trail was a lot harder before they bridged up the whole thing. Granted there is a high price for failure on a lot of those bridges.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
OK monkeys. I now have hard data that proves e13 are too sticky to pedal anywhere but down.

I rode the same loop the last 3 days, weather conditions similar on all rides so wind was not a factor.

According to the Garmins:

Friday with e13s knobbies front & rear
Distance: 7.86 miles
Moving time: 1:04:24
Moving speed: 7.3 MPH
Top speed: 21.6 (had to pedal in and out of fast berm)
Average HR: 162

Today with Maxis knobby front and semi-slick rear
Distance 7.85 miles
Moving time: 0:57:33
Moving speed: 8.2 MPH
Top speed: 21.2 MPH (did not pedal any down hill sections)
Average HR: 158

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Well this show just got better. The band had extra seats and we're moving from general admission down to the front section.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
the longest i can remember that i actually logged was around 75 miles of mtb in 4 days at raystown.

when i was in college i did a road century. once was enough.
I didn't include road centuries as I've never done one is less than 5 hours; back when I did that sort of thing 6 1/2 hours of pedal time was as good as I got.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
We once did over 100 miles in 3 days in North Dakota, remember?
I skipped the middle 40... the Garmins only gave me like 67 miles including the 15 miles of wandering around after a bad turn on the first day. If I do it again it will be in 4 days and have a printed map instead of relying on the cell phone. You in?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
one of the suckiest things about covid is that i love going to shows (and at 47 still jumping in the pit) but i now have no desire to go to any for the time being. have tix to see parkway drive-fall 2020-moved to fall 2021. fall 2021 moved to fall 2022. i ain't even mad. fucking covid.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
the longest i can remember that i actually logged was around 75 miles of mtb in 4 days at raystown.

when i was in college i did a road century. once was enough.
Sure I will get trumped by 6thelement, but have done multiple 14,000+ ft 100 milers and put in over 200 miles in a few 24 hr races. :wacko:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
OK monkeys. I now have hard data that proves e13 are too sticky to pedal anywhere but down.

I rode the same loop the last 3 days, weather conditions similar on all rides so wind was not a factor.

According to the Garmins:

Friday with e13s knobbies front & rear
Distance: 7.86 miles
Moving time: 1:04:24
Moving speed: 7.3 MPH
Top speed: 21.6 (had to pedal in and out of fast berm)
Average HR: 162

Today with Maxis knobby front and semi-slick rear
Distance 7.85 miles
Moving time: 0:57:33
Moving speed: 8.2 MPH
Top speed: 21.2 MPH (did not pedal any down hill sections)
Average HR: 158

The key to heavy sticky tires is to only use them on trails where the only time you pedal is up steep climbs where there is little weight on the front end for them to make any difference.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The key to heavy sticky tires is to only use them on trails where the only time you pedal is up steep climbs where there is little weight on the front end for them to make any difference.
Pedal up steep climbs with heavy, sticky tires? Bad Dog. NO. Friends do not let friends pedal up steep climbs with heavy, sticky tires. That's what shuttle are for. :monkey: