Quantcast

Nikon D2X

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
OKay i came accross this pretty good deal.... but am not sure... someone wants to sell me a Nikon D2X with only 5K shots taken.... the downside for me at least the camera is DX format, not a full framed camera... I already have the D300 (DX camera)

is it worth it, or should i save my pennies and pick up the Nikon D700?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Save pennies for glass.

The D300 is a very capable camera and you seem to be using it very well recently. The D700 doesn't have TOO much on it right now to justify buying a new body.

Just get new/better glass and enjoy the rewards. SB-800's and pocketwizards are also a great pickup.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Save pennies for glass.

The D300 is a very capable camera and you seem to be using it very well recently. The D700 doesn't have TOO much on it right now to justify buying a new body.

Just get new/better glass and enjoy the rewards. SB-800's and pocketwizards are also a great pickup.
thanks... right now i have the 70-200 2.8 VR lens, the nifty 50mm, and a beater Tamrom..... looking into picking up a SB900 and SB800.... before September....

i have pretty good stuff on hand right now, i just wanta a full framed camera...

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
On a side note... I been running all my lenses without Protective UV Filters (good idea????????)

i find sometimes with a UV filter the images come out a but OOF.... but i have been getting the cheap 19.99 clear ones just to protect the lens.... thoughts?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
On a side note... I been running all my lenses without Protective UV Filters (good idea????????)

i find sometimes with a UV filter the images come out a but OOF.... but i have been getting the cheap 19.99 clear ones just to protect the lens.... thoughts?
Yes and no in my opinion. I run high end uv filters on all of my lenses so that I don't get any adverse effects and my lenses stay protected from the occasion rock coming at you while shooting.

I would rather shatter a filter than my lens.

During combat photography school we were not allowed to take the filter off of any of our lens for any reason other than to put a different one and and maintenance.

sb-8/900's and a few pocketwizards are great tools to have in your bag for shooting almost anything, especially DH.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Thanks Rufus....

I actually shoot with a Sunpak 622 Pro frask and a Vivitar with CyberSync Wireless.... but i am picking up the Nikon SB's... :-)

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
There is nothing a D2X is better at than a D300 with the exception of the build, and the D300 is hardly a slouch in that area.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The D2X is a good deal faster than the D300 for speed of operation, and it's a bit sharper. 100% viewfinder coverage on a crop body is also tits...I got mine for a screaming price, otherwise I wouldn't have considered it. I eventually sold it and now shoot with a D200...it has better high ISO performance, to give you an idea of how bad the D2X is there.

Glaring downside is the maximum native ISO of 800, and it's noisy as hell there. If I needed a studio crop body (?), it would be the one I'd look to.

It would be pretty redundant with a D300 in the pack...

Last edited: