Quantcast

Nite Rider Issues , Or friday Night ride goes astray.

splat

Nam I am
Well tonight SloMoJo and I go for a Late ride , we got out at 8 PM to ride Whitehell ( around lake whitehall) and we tool around on Some other trails we had seen to see where they went , not to far . thn we started around whitehall, as we were going around we saw Lightening in the distance this concered us. we were going along nicely , and it started to rain , actually felt pretty good , and ther ewas no lightening , I'd say we were about 2/3 the way around when Suddenly my Light , a Night rider HID Storm , went out. and would not come back on. well Ihave a Small LED Flashlight I had with me , so I used that, between that and SloMoJo behind me I got out on to a road . and then we rode the road for about 3 -4 miles back to the cars.

well When I got back to the car I tried the light again and it fired right up . but the instant aI moved it is went out again , After Playing much with it , I determined that if I wiggle the wire right where it goes in to teh battery pack , I can get it to turn on , and once one the slightest Touch to that wire and out goes the light.

so Does any Body Know 1) How Much dos Nite rider Charge to fix a battery problem ? 2) should I just open it up my self and fix it . 3) How long does it take them ? I need this for Dalton in a couple of weeks 4) How much is a new Battery pack ? ( having a 2nd one for Pats Peak may be a good idea.)

I'll tell you this Nite rider has certainly NOT won me over with there products :mumble:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
what happened to your homemade stuff? aside from the fact that your helmet almost caught fire i thought they worked pretty well.

1) They might warranty it. Worst case is the cost of a battery.
2) Don't try to fix it if it's still under warranty. Otherwise, go for it.
3) Call up and ask. 858-268-9316, 8:00-4:30 PST. Tell 'em when you need to race.
4) Probably $100 or so.

Wiring reliability has been the bane of my NiteRider system.

J

splat

Nam I am
johnbryanpeters said:
1) They might warranty it. Worst case is the cost of a battery.
2) Don't try to fix it if it's still under warranty. Otherwise, go for it.
3) Call up and ask. 858-268-9316, 8:00-4:30 PST. Tell 'em when you need to race.
4) Probably $100 or so.

Wiring reliability has been the bane of my NiteRider system.

J
I doubt it is still under warranty , I am not the origianl Owner , I bought it from Knuckles back in October , and he had had it for over a Year. so it is almost 2 years Old. and I am %99 sure I can fix it. something about my electrical Engineering background.

loco said:
I really don't want to harp on this, but get a Lume light.
I hear ya , but I got this so Dirt Cheap, there is no way a Lume ( or even Nite rider Could Com close )

gnurider1080 said:
what happened to your homemade stuff? aside from the fact that your helmet almost caught fire i thought they worked pretty well.
Last FAll I bout a Nite rider HID and Trail Rat from Knuckles for $200 , and I have used it A LOT !!! and it has been flawless, But I must say I do miss using my Home made lights because I knew Exactly how they worked and could fix it easily .

Its why I still have my Eye on this :

DIY HID or With Battery

Actually I am going up to My brothers today, he is also an d Electrical engineer ( and a ME and A Physishist , and working on His PHd in Astro Physiscs ) and between the 2 of us I'm sure we can really mess it up !

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Splat, if you get in a jam and need a light for Dalton let me know. I have a Storm light you can borrow (complete or part) if needed. I live in salem.

splat

Nam I am
dan-o said:
Splat, if you get in a jam and need a light for Dalton let me know. I have a Storm light you can borrow (complete or part) if needed. I live in salem.

dan-o thanks for the offer ! But I have more than Enough Lights!

Now I caller NR And I told them The whole story ! ( and As to how old it was and that I didnt believe it was under warrenty. and gave him the symtoms , and he agreed with me that it was probably just a broken wire , I also told him I was doing 24 Hours of Adrenilin on june 25 , He said he could have it back to me by then and it would be $55 (Min. ) Plus Shpping back to me . I thought that wasa little steep, so I told him I was an EE and that really felt I could fix it my self, well he then gave me the information I needed , there is no specillty chagring circuit in the pack, is just a bunch of batties wired together. Then he did say that if I tried to fix it and wasnot succesful they would not fix it only replace it atthe cost of a Brand new Battery.

well I decied for $55 + I can figure this out. especilly since I'm certain it isa broken wire. so I get out my Old trusty exact-o knife and put a Small incision down the side. I pull the wires out and they are intact :confused: so I try to run on the light and it won't and then start wiggling wires and lihgt. About 1/2 inch after the 2 wires go into the main cable there must be a break so I cut up the harness alittle and can see the red wire while it is not broken I can tell the condutor underneath is. so I cut the red Wire , strip both ends solder it . Light now works perfectly . heat shrink connection , put the wire back in, cover with electrical tape, andthen re-seal the whole thing with a Hot melt gun. and Wa-la My HID is back in buisness! Woo - hoo 25 minutes work and saved $55+ .

J

JRB

Good jorb. My saving money on the weedeater is not going as well.