Quantcast

No Gas on 19th

Rapture

Chimp
Jun 18, 2002
Vancouver
Don't buy gas May 19th

It has been calculated that if everyone in the United States did not purchase a drop of gasoline for one day and all at the same time, the oil companies would choke on their stockpiles!! At the same time it would hit the entire industry with a net loss of over 4.6 billion dollars, which affects the bottom lines of the oil companies.

Therefore May 19th has been formally declared "stick it to them day" and the people of this nation are being asked to not buy a single drop of gasoline that day. The only way this can be done is if you forward this e-mail to as many people as you can and as quickly as you can to get the word out.

Waiting on this administration to step in and control the prices is not going to happen. What happened to the reduction and control in prices that the Arab nations promised two weeks ago?

Remember one thing, not only is the price of gasoline going up but at the same time airlines are forced to raise their prices, trucking companies supplies forced to raise their prices which effects prices on everything that is shipped. Things like food, clothing, building materials, medical, etc.

Who pays in the end? We do! We can make a difference. If they don't get the message after one day, we will do it again and again. So do your part and spread the word. Forward this email to everyone you know. Mark your calendars and make May 19th a day that the citizens of the United States say, "Enough Is Enough"

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Im going to fill up my car, drive around in circles all day and then fill it up again on the 19th.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Everyone who loves economics, say "screw that!"

Everyone who'd be just as happy if cars were made illegal and we had to bike everywhere, say "amen!"

i don't see how in the long term it's going to help gas prices: we pay massive amount of tax on our gas(something like 70-80 cents a gallon) just for the state, i doubt anyone can change the attitude of the state governemnt, which is basically paralyzed by special interest groups. then there is the operating cost of making gas, basic cost of crude oil, and the chain that no one wants to know about. But if you make the oil industry lose 4.6 billion a day, they would simply tack that onto the prices of gas on may 20th. So unless you can open a oil company that's vertically intergrated and want to provide the most affordable gas to the consumer(which i doubt you will if you were the ceo of a oil company).

Once again, my naive canadian friend, you have good ideas, but you are better off attend another peace rally in Vancouver BC than try to mes with the oil industry in the U.S..

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
This won't accomplish anything. All that's going to happen is that people will fill up on the 18th instead - or wait until the 20th. The actual amount sold won't change. How about a "Don't USE any gas for a day"?

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Forwarding an e-mail to ten people is a little too easy.

Yeah, the oil companies suck and all that, but we as consumers need to help by using more difficult solutions like trying to cut back on our gasoline usage by combining errands to save gasoline, carpooling, and even flat out not using our cars sometimes.

Yesterday I had to drive approx. 100 miles round-trip for the grand opening of a bike shop. That meant that when I got home, I didn't feel free to just throw my bike in the back of my car and drive 30+ miles to one of my favorite off-road trails. Instead, I sucked it up, grabbed the road bike, and took a bike ride that started and ended at my house--no car involved. Yeah, I would have had a better time if I had ridden up at the mountains, but you can't always have what you want.

One of my goals of the year is to remember to combine trips more often and to refrain from using my car as often--even if I can afford the gas. I know I won't always remember. I'll waste gas left at right, I'm sure. I'm so pleased to have a car that I forget. (I used to not have a car--I used mass-transit and bikes instead--"save the earth--lose your social life" 'cause it takes hours to get anywhere and back by bus and train.)

But we need to train ourselves (as a culture) to be less wasteful. Starting now.

i agree. the force of economics says that if the demand goes down, the price goes down as well. if we use less consistently, that is the solution to over-towering gas prices and such evils. not buying gas one day is not the right way to do things. it's like asking the Hamas to not suicide bomb women and children for one day. does that help in the end? no, they only delay their bombing by one day.

besides, I've seen quite a few hippies (or hippie wannabes) that drive suburbanswhen not driving a VW van for demonstrations and such. WTF?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
A good rule of thumb is, ANY time ANYTHING says "forward this to X of your friends", just delete it.

This thing has been going around for at least 10 years, I can't believe people still forward/post it.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
BOO HOOO! wine some where else, this is a democracy, and people can sell gas for watever the hell they want to!

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
gas i europe for a gallon, converted, is about 7 dollars. so stop bitching. and ride the goddam train or bus like every one else in the world.:angry:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by mack
gas i europe for a gallon, converted, is about 7 dollars. so stop bitching. and ride the goddam train or bus like every one else in the world.:angry:

Word!!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
much anger in your posts.

I think someone needs a time-out. Go sit in S.America and count to 10 :)

Rapture

Chimp
Jun 18, 2002
Vancouver
not buying gas one day is not the right way to do things. it's like asking the Hamas to not suicide bomb women and children for one day. does that help in the end? no, they only delay their bombing by one day.

with that mentality why ever bother trying to assert yourself actively - let us all sheep of docility follow our corporate shepards to the slaughter. This is no different than protesting against drugs, war, health care - it might not make a difference in the end but personally i'd rather take some stand than none.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Rapture
it might not make a difference in the end but personally i'd rather take some stand than none.
...have fun with that. I'll be on my bike;)

Jan 15, 2002
Suburban MA, USA
I'm not trying to justify our 16mpg SUV lust or anything but we can't compare Europe and their reliance on petro to that of North America. Look at the sheer size of North America and the relative remoteness. We love to say "use public transportation" but if you live in rural ME or VT there is no transportation.

The US and Canada are also a little bit bigger and more spread out than Europe and not everyone lives in an urban area or can afford to live within walking/biking/public transit distance of work. No trains and no buses and likely you work more than 20 miles from where you live.

Yea, you could bike but it's tough to carry a 100 gal diesel tank for the skidder and a couple of chainsaws/gas/oil 6 miles into the woods to the landing for the loggin operation. Pedi-cars aren't a very efficient means of getting bulk milk from the individual farms spread out over a 50 mile radius in Northern VT to the Hood plant 150 miles away in MA. Oh yea, and how about getting fruits and veg's from the central valley to all over the US without paying $10 for a head of lettuce.

All I'm saying is that we have built our lifestyle around cheap fuel and quick transportation. It's not just the SUV's that contribute to our usage. Cheap gas is literally the lifeblood of our society. At present we don't have the infrastructure for anything else.

If any of you shop for food, you should be seeing the gas increase passed down to you already. Milk has gone up 33% here recently and beef is really high in NE at the moment. I'd expect to see fruit and veg's to go through the roof in the short term.

Who knows what the answer is, I'm just saying it's not an easy one.

-Couch

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by Rapture
with that mentality why ever bother trying to assert yourself actively - let us all sheep of docility follow our corporate shepards to the slaughter. This is no different than protesting against drugs, war, health care - it might not make a difference in the end but personally i'd rather take some stand than none.
Oh please.

Do a search, this whole issue has been discussed and argued over and over and over and over and over and...

You're not "taking a stand". Taking a stand would be give up your car and start riding your bike to work. Taking a stand is not "Let's not buy gas for one day! Whee!"

This email has been circulating for as long as I can remember getting chain letters. Only the date on it changes. It's quite possibly one of the lamest claims of "taking a stand" that I've ever heard in my life. If everyone in the U.S. made sure they didn't buy gas on the 19th, all that would happen is the demand for gas on the 18th would triple because everyone would buy it that day. You know what it will accomplish? It'll prove that everyone in the U.S. is too frickin' lazy to actually use less gas, but that everyone wants to feel all warm and fuzzy inside, like they're actually making a difference without inconveniencing themselves.

:rolleyes:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I'll have to remember to get gas on the 18th instead so I'm sure not to need it on the 19th :rolleyes:

I have a better idea than 'dont buy gas for a day day'. How about 'everyone that has a car that gets less than 25 mpg trade their car in for something thats reasonable day'.

I saw a special last night about how drivers are watching their speed more and paying attnetion to their shifting, etc etc. THey were interviewing this guy that thought he was doing a good job keeping his Tahoe above 12 mpg :rolleyes:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Comparing US and UK prices counts for nothing. I would be okay with paying $7 for gas if my drive to work didnt equal the distance of driving across 1/4 of the UK... but it does. [note, a lot US towns dont have adequite(sp) public transportation]

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
Originally posted by golgiaparatus
I'll have to remember to get gas on the 18th instead so I'm sure not to need it on the 19th :rolleyes:

I have a better idea than 'dont buy gas for a day day'. How about 'everyone that has a car that gets less than 25 mpg trade their car in for something thats reasonable day'.

I saw a special last night about how drivers are watching their speed more and paying attnetion to their shifting, etc etc. THey were interviewing this guy that thought he was doing a good job keeping his Tahoe above 12 mpg :rolleyes:

12 MPG!!! Holy Fook!! Lemmings, they're all lemmings I tell ya. And he probably puts 75 miles a day on the damn thing too, brainless bastards, I hate people, especially stupid ones:angry:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Originally posted by Cooter Brown
12 MPG!!! Holy Fook!! Lemmings, they're all lemmings I tell ya. And he probably puts 75 miles a day on the damn thing too, brainless bastards, I hate people, especially stupid ones:angry:
Yeah he was one of these guys/gals that have a big ass truck that is totally clean and looks like nothing has ever been hauled in it.

IMHO the only reasons for having a big powerful work vehicle is (1) you need a big powerful vehicle for towing or working or hauling (2) your completely poor and broke and the only transportation you can find is a $400 1967 ford pick up that gets 10 mpg. All these brand new trucks and SUVs on the road just irritate the piss out of me.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Yeah he was one of these guys/gals that have a big ass truck that is totally clean and looks like nothing has ever been hauled in it.

IMHO the only reasons for having a big powerful work vehicle is (1) you need a big powerful vehicle for towing or working or hauling (2) your completely poor and broke and the only transportation you can find is a $400 1967 ford pick up that gets 10 mpg. All these brand new trucks and SUVs on the road just irritate the piss out of me.

Yep, I was the #2 option here a while back. Still have that old truck but it sits in the driveway and only gets driven a couple times on weekends now.

My favorite (read worst hated) lemming assbags are the ones with the (insert lemming SUV of choice here) who, like you said, drive around with the damn thing all polished up and shiz and have the blingity bling bling chrome brush/bumper guard and those stupid fooking matching tail light guards :angry: who in the fook needs freaking tail light guards anyway?

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
I wish Gas in the US was 7 dollars. We wouldn't have traffic problems anymore and I'd be able to drive without getting hit by big yuppie-hick-machines (Trucks in the city).

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
For god's sake man... dont you know that if you have guards on the front you have the have them in the back... I mean the sheer weight alone could cause your entire SUV to do an endo.

My bad dude, I should have known, geez WTF was I thinking.

So, does this mean that in order to haul bikes on the back of the honda, that I need to install a brush/bumper guard on the front of the civic? Oh man I hope so, that would be soooo pimp :D

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
Comparing US and UK prices counts for nothing. I would be okay with paying $7 for gas if my drive to work didnt equal the distance of driving across 1/4 of the UK... but it does. [note, a lot US towns dont have adequite(sp) public transportation]
:monkey:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Originally posted by Cooter Brown
My bad dude, I should have known, geez WTF was I thinking.

So, does this mean that in order to haul bikes on the back of the honda, that I need to install a brush/bumper guard on the front of the civic? Oh man I hope so, that would be soooo pimp :D
Naah, just get a huge red honda logo made of lead... that should cover ya. I hear it adds 60 hp too :D

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I hear because of high gas prices, SUV sales are going to fall and dealers will be stuck having to blow them out at rediculous prices later this year. Sweet. I have my eyes on an Ford Expedition for the wife. :)