Quantcast

No Gas on 19th

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Originally posted by nicklin
i don't see how in the long term it's going to help gas prices: we pay massive amount of tax on our gas(something like 70-80 cents a gallon) just for the state, i doubt anyone can change the attitude of the state governemnt, which is basically paralyzed by special interest groups. then there is the operating cost of making gas, basic cost of crude oil, and the chain that no one wants to know about. But if you make the oil industry lose 4.6 billion a day, they would simply tack that onto the prices of gas on may 20th. So unless you can open a oil company that's vertically intergrated and want to provide the most affordable gas to the consumer(which i doubt you will if you were the ceo of a oil company).

Once again, my naive canadian friend, you have good ideas, but you are better off attend another peace rally in Vancouver BC than try to mes with the oil industry in the U.S..

Dayyyummmm...hahahahaa!

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by LordOpie
what's wrong with people driving a big, gas-guzzling SUV?

If they can afford it, then so what.
Exactly.

Who cares, right?

So what?

I won't be here in 60 years or less, so why should I care?

Nice attitude.

Rapture

Chimp
Jun 18, 2002
Vancouver
You're not "taking a stand". Taking a stand would be give up your car and start riding your bike to work. Taking a stand is not "Let's not buy gas for one day! Whee!"

You can't expect a society like ours to follow such a massive undertaking as to 'not drive for the rest of eternity' - which will probably be how long until gas prices reduce. It would be ideal if we could altogether stop consuming, but realistically we need to . I'm talking about taking baby steps - If we wanted to reduce greenhouse gas, we wouldn't suddenly halt all factory emissions, it would be gradual.

Not filling up on one day i agree would not be very impactful alone, but hopefully it is something that we can collectively do, and even then....

Rapture

Chimp
Jun 18, 2002
Vancouver
Also - this would involve people that under their circumstances need to drive.

although it would be amusing, it would be hard to convince an overly obese man, 86 year old japanese woman or stroke patient to bike halfway across city to get to work everyday.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Originally posted by Rapture
Also - this would involve people that under their circumstances need to drive.

although it would be amusing, it would be hard to convince an overly obese man, 86 year old japanese woman or stroke patient to bike halfway across city to get to work everyday.
If they had done more biking and excersive earlier in their life maybe they'd be in good enough shape to do it this week!

BTW - do you really think 86 year olds are commuting to work everyday? And if so - I'd rather they were biking or taking public transportation rather than driving a car...

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
You can't hope that a society as ours she follows a so massive company as far as the impulsion of 'not for the rest of eternity' - that will be probably how long until prices of the gasoline reduces. It would be ideal if we could stop consuming altogether, but we needed realist. I'm that speaks taking baby walks - if we wished to reduce the gas of the conservatory, which wouldn't suddenly stops all the emissions of the factory, he we would be gradual. Not to fill for above in a day that I agree would not be single very impactful, but esperanzadamente he is something that we can do collectively, and equals then....
If we where we support alternative solution possess the complete modification of culture, one do I that.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86239

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You can't expect a society like ours to follow such a massive undertaking as to 'not drive for the rest of eternity' - which will probably be how long until gas prices reduce. It would be ideal if we could altogether stop consuming, but realistically we need to . I'm talking about taking baby steps - If we wanted to reduce greenhouse gas, we wouldn't suddenly halt all factory emissions, it would be gradual.

Not filling up on one day i agree would not be very impactful alone, but hopefully it is something that we can collectively do, and even then....
That's a load.

You don't have to not drive for the rest of eternity. Try, say, once a week. Walk to the store, one out of every 10 times you go. One beautiful day a month, ride your bike to work. Next time you go buy a car, look at the Ford Ranger instead of the F150. Sure, baby steps are great.

Not buying gas for one day is not a "baby step". It's a useless, rediculous gesture that does nothing but provide a little self-gratification when people delude themselves into thinking they made a difference.

How about a "baby step" that actually reduces the amount of gas you use. Novel idea, eh?

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
Originally posted by binary visions
That's a load.

You don't have to not drive for the rest of eternity. Try, say, once a week. Walk to the store, one out of every 10 times you go. One beautiful day a month, ride your bike to work. Next time you go buy a car, look at the Ford Ranger instead of the F150.
You obvioulsy don't live in the country? 30 miles to work, 4 miles to the grocery store, 10+ miles to any superstore (Lowe's, Walmart, etc.)
For some of us biking places is not a viable option.......

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Studies indicate there is something like a 200 year oil supply. That's more than enough time to figure out some other fuel source.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by zod
You obvioulsy don't live in the country? 30 miles to work, 4 miles to the grocery store, 10+ miles to any superstore (Lowe's, Walmart, etc.)
Did you not actually read my post? I don't think I said anywhere in there that the specific options I mentioned were the only ways to save gas...

In fact, I have lived in the country all my life. I still live in a pretty rural area. I know what distances to the store can be like. I was simply suggesting some alternative ways you could help save gas - obviously, there are others.

So, how about making a trip into town at the end of the day so you can get everything in one shot? Making lists and being thorough so you don't have to make the trip twice? Do a grocery shopping when you have to go somewhere anyway. Buy a more fuel efficient car. Once a month, bike into town to visit someone - yes, I know how far away it is, suck it up, it'll put you into better shape.

There's a million ways to actually save gas. Figure out your own ways. My point was not to make a comprehensive list of how you can save gas. Read my post(s) again.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Originally posted by golgiaparatus
IMHO the only reasons for having a big powerful work vehicle is (1) you need a big powerful vehicle for towing or working or hauling
Yep that one is me!! Not that my truck is that big/powerful truck but it is a fullsize.

Now I'm looking to sideline it as much as possible. So I would only use it for towing the trailer. This is what I'm looking at to make this a reality. It gets about 90-100mpg!!! :D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by zod
I know binary visions sounds like a grumpy old fart with a chip on his shoulder, but don't let his attitude stop you from riding more often. This is a biking forum. 30 miles to work is a great distance to ride a couple times to month... providing it's safe enough. Four miles to go pick up cereal and bread when you run out is a nice way for the family to get out together with a destination.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
So, how about making a trip into town at the end of the day so you can get everything in one shot? Making lists and being thorough so you don't have to make the trip twice? Do a grocery shopping when you have to go somewhere anyway. Buy a more fuel efficient car. Once a month, bike into town to visit someone
Understood, these are all things I do.....mainly more as a time issue than to save gas but I guess in the end I am saving gas anyhow... ;)
As for riding my bike to visit friends......I'm in the real country, I think the nearest person I would visit is over 15 miles away and I ain't biking that far. Now my inlaws are only about 2 miles away and I can swing that but I am typically going over there with my wife and she doesn't bike.

As for a fuel efficient car, can't do that.....I have a full sized truck and I use it. I have considered getting a motorcycle to drive to work but I don't know if I care to risk my life riding it around a bunch of jackass drivers. ;) I don't have the funds to spend on an additional car.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I know binary visions sounds like a grumpy old fart with a chip on his shoulder
Ahahahaha... Sorry, I've had one to many discussions with ignorant (and dim-witted) coworkers on this very same topic so I'm afraid I've been switched into my knee-jerk reaction mode.

One of the guys who was arguing with me about it drives a Chevy Tahoe with 22" rims, a lift kit, and who-knows what size tires... Yet it is white, constantly spotless, and always waxed, without a scratch on it. And he complains that he's always broke because of rising gas prices :rolleyes:

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
This is a biking forum. 30 miles to work is a great distance to ride a couple times to month... providing it's safe enough. Four miles to go pick up cereal and bread when you run out is a nice way for the family to get out together with a destination.
The route to work is a no go, it'd be very dangerous and I drive to work when it is still dark outside. Plus I am not a roadie, have no interest in buying a road bike, and don't really care to ride on high speed roads that don't have bike lanes. I'd rather be alive and waste gas.
As for riding my bike up to the grocery store to pick something small up, sure I'd do that. But truthfully I don't ever go to the grocery store when I am not picking up the motherload. We do once every week to 2 weeks and get a cart full.
Where I live and where I drive to work the whole bike to work, bike here or there thing just doesn't pan out too well. Now if I lived in Charlotte, I'd bike all over the place........but I'd never live in suburb-hell :devil:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Originally posted by johnbryanpeters
Cite the studies, please.

Thanks, J

Lots of interesting and conflicting estimates floating around. However, looks like at the moment there is an estimated 40-ishhh year supply of oil assuming the consumption rate remains static and no new major reserves are discovered.

Since neither event is probable, and there were folks forecasting the "end of oil in 40 years" 40 years ago, I believe it is quite probable that there is 100+ years worth of reserves.

Drill Alaska!!!

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Gas/Oil Hits Record Highs

Everyone cites the problems in Iraq with their oil production as the reason the prices are high... BUT, didn't the US have an embargo on Iraqi oil pre-invasion? Dosen't that mean that the US was not buying Iraqi oil anyway so why does what's happening in the country matter now..?

Hummmmmm...

Ahahahaha... Sorry, I've had one to many discussions with ignorant (and dim-witted) coworkers on this very same topic so I'm afraid I've been switched into my knee-jerk reaction mode.

One of the guys who was arguing with me about it drives a Chevy Tahoe with 22" rims, a lift kit, and who-knows what size tires... Yet it is white, constantly spotless, and always waxed, without a scratch on it. And he complains that he's always broke because of rising gas prices :rolleyes:
veggie oil, man, veggie oil, now that's the future!!!!!:D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
exactly!!!
did you see the discovery channel show about the dude in that one colorado ski town that drives around and collect used oil from all the restaraunt? man tlaking about being hilarious.....
I think I did see that. Or even if it wasn't that, I saw some show on a guy whose car ran on vegetable oil and was taking the used oil from fast food places.. He could get 50 gallon barrels at a time, usually for free.

Funny stuff. I bet he didn't pick up many ladies with that car, smelling as it did, though...

I think I did see that. Or even if it wasn't that, I saw some show on a guy whose car ran on vegetable oil and was taking the used oil from fast food places.. He could get 50 gallon barrels at a time, usually for free.

Funny stuff. I bet he didn't pick up many ladies with that car, smelling as it did, though...
that was him alright. man he must stood out like a charlie in the middle of a vietnam war veteran's rally in a town where landcruisers and suburbans rule. well, he probably picked up some naive 17-year-old high school chick on vacation with her family who wants to go to berkely for envirnmental science to save the earth.....;)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
that was him alright. man he must stood out like a charlie in the middle of a vietnam war veteran's rally in a town where landcruisers and suburbans rule. well, he probably picked up some naive 17-year-old high school chick on vacation with her family who wants to go to berkely for envirnmental science to save the earth.....;)
I can just see this guy..

"Hey baby, you want to see something really environmentally conscious? You should see my bedroom.. No electricity at all..."

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by golgiaparatus
YES! I still have a 1/4 tank left in my car today... VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!!!! :rolleyes: :monkey:
Damn, I forgot today was the 19th.

I gotta make sure to fill up on the way home...