Quantcast

Noble Canyon with Laura and Sunny Adventure Tours

Plummit

Monkey
Mar 12, 2002
When I learned about 2 months ago that I was bound for San Diego for the better part of a week for a convention, like any common-sensical mountain biker, I decided I would take an extra day and ride. For years, I’ve been seeing pictures and reading ride reports about Noble Canyon and the amazing terrain there on Ridemonkey, MTBR, and countless other sites. Definitely a ride that was on my “If I’m ever in the area, I have to” list.

Trailhead Parking lot: Pre-ride Sunny (Laura) and me.

I tracked down an old friend of mine from college who lives in SoCal, and more importantly, rides bikes. The plan was hatched. He’d take Thursday off, I’d rent a bike and we’d go ride Noble. E-mails and good natured taunts were fired back and forth: East Coast vs. West Coast technical skills, Left vs Right Coast virtues, etc. We were both looking forward to catching up and hitting a great trail together.

Getting warmed up to Noble Canyon

Fast forward to about 10 days before I was due to head to San Diego. My friend sent me an urgent e-mail apologizing that he’d be unable to make the ride. His employer needed him that day and asked him to cancel his day off. In this economy and these financial times, when you have a decent job, I imagine the correct response is, “Absolutely. No Problem. Do you need me to work Christmas?” He tried to hook me up with some locals, but he’s from the OC, so the SD contacts were limited. He also strongly recommended against trying to do the ride on my own, solo. Probably excellent advice.

Don't think we're in Massachusetts anymore, Toto

Brett, same spot

As it turns out, my wife’s mother was flying in while I was out on the West Coast, and I would already be missing part of her visit, so extending the trip further to try and ride over the weekend wasn’t exactly in the cards. Best laid plans thoroughly scuppered, I was right on verge of changing my ticket and coming back a day early from the tradeshow with the rest of my co-workers. I had the e-mail typed up to change my flights, but hadn’t yet sent it to the office. Depressed about my plan coming undone, I was skimming the Ride Reports forum and saw Erich’s Noble Canyon post about hitting the trails with Sunny Ride’s Laura Drexler. Coincidence, divine intervention or planets aligned? Who cares!

Brett, going up

I fired Laura an e-mail and the plan was back on track. She coordinated the whole deal. She set up the shuttle, loaned me her husband’s Stumpjumper, picked me up at my hotel, with coffee no less, and the game was afoot! Adventure tours is a new and budding offshoot of Laura’s company Sunny Rides, so I was her 3rd or 4th customer. Having “met on the internet,” both our respective spouses were a little concerned about who exactly we would be meeting. Friends at home told me to make sure I didn’t get drugged and have my kidneys harvested. Laura’s husband warned her that she would be heading off into the wilds with someone she barely knew. Her response, “But he’s on Ridemonkey!” Laura and I had a good laugh about all this on the drive up to meet Brett, a friend of hers who’d be riding with us and making the shuttle possible.

Fortunately this was the last of three mechanicals (all chain breaks, weirdly enough.)

We met Brett, loaded the bikes, and, no impromptu operating rooms or bathtubs full of ice in evidence, headed to the top. What can I say? The ride was fantastic, other than a few mechanicals (hey, it’s mountain biking, right?) Incredible scenery, FANTASTIC trail, and Laura and Brett to show me the way, point out the best technical lines in unfamiliar territory, and make sure that an East Coast flatlander had a truly great and memorable day.

Rocky Noble terrain

Top of the "Extra Credit" climb

Some sweet Extra Credit singletrack

Kidneys intact, after picking up the shuttle vehicle post ride. Great views from the top. Salton Sea barely visible in the middle rightish of the photo.

At the end of the ride, we stopped off at Ramon’s Smokehouse for some great BBQ and beverages: a great end to a great day.

I wholeheartedly recommend Sunny (Laura’s) Adventure Tours to anyone living in/around or visiting the SD area. Shoot her a pm or e-mail and get ready for some amazing riding with really good, positive people. Thank you Laura! Thank you Brett! Thank you RM for being the type of MTB community that makes these connections possible and gives us a two-wheeled commonality to hang on to in an uncertain world and insane times. After all, aren’t we all just monkeys in the end?

:cheers: :thumb:

Here's a link to Sunny's commuting site, as the Adventure Tours one is in the works, but it has her contact info: Sunnyrides.com

Last edited:

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
Nice report Plummer.
I think the Nam crew is riding Lynn before it closes, you should join us....or are you already in Ski mode since you're back in NE?

Plummit

Monkey
Mar 12, 2002
When are you guys going? Heard snow Fri, and I'm out of town Tues-New Years.

If I don't catch up with you have a great Holiday!

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
We had a great ride! (Hi Matt!)

It's hard to assess someone's bike skill over the Internet. Noble Canyon is not an easy ride, and I was impressed with how well Matt adapted to the rocky terrain, where dirt is nowhere to be seen. There were a few sections that lots of guys I know walk their bikes through, but Matt looked at the lines and charged ahead. All of us had a great day.

As far as East v. West... I moved here from NJ, and have gone back a couple times to ride Diablo and race the US Open.

Here's my assessment of Northeast and Southwest.

DOWNSIDES
Northeast :
you can slide out in five inches of mud
you can run into trees
your toes and fingers can go numb and threaten to fall off in winter

Southwest:
you can slide out in three feet of dust
you can potentially to fall off the edge of exposed rock faces, tumbling down 15-35 feet into a ravine
you can become so overheated that you become delirious, get pulled off a course, and put on IV fluids

(all these things except being pulled off the course have in fact, happened to me)

UPSIDES
Northeast :
you have actual dirt that makes mud (I miss dirt)
you have these great tall beautiful trees (SoCal not so much)
you have seasons that make for amazing scenery and great adventures

Southwest:
you forget what humidity is like
you can ride at night all year round
the off-season is like, three weeks long

All told, I miss East Coast riding, but I'm here and pay the weather tax for a reason. I don't get back to the East Coast often enough, though. Sigh.

Plummit

Monkey
Mar 12, 2002
so Lets hear the Comparisons of East Vs West ?
Sunny said most of it, but one of the biggest differences for me was the obvious one: 11 mile downhill?!?! For a guy from eastern MA, that is totally different!

Much dryer, more jagged rocks as opposed to smooth eastern granite (or Moab Slickrock.) Babyheads and the like were much more jagged, rather than rounded. Also, the remoteness. Noble seems like it's pretty far from civilization. If you break down, it's not a short walk out of the woods like 'Nam or Lynn, it's a good long ways.

Huge vistas and tons of sections of exposed or open trail where you can see a long way around you are something we have in the east (at least where I ride) only in short spurts, but not for looong sections like Noble. The mechanicals we had actually gave me time too look around and appreciate just how different and interesting the terrain was.

BTW, Sunny's being modest, she cleaned a technical downhill that Brett and I both flailed on. I tried it three times, and he went over the bars, after committing further than I did. She made it seem all too easy.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
If you guys don't stop posting pics and reports of that trail, I am coming out to kick some nuts. :D

I love that place and don't want to keep thinking about how I can't ride it frequently.

I need to post my pics from my rides there 2 years back.

Good report.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
nice report!

Laura is awesome and Noble is an awesome ride.
Looks like you had a good time Plummit.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
I tried a helmet cam once and got sick watching the playback.

<3 Noble
Trick is, have a one of a stiff neck of a ride. :p I sure do get a stiff neck at the end though just to keep it very still for you viewers.

I luv Noble too. Great all around workout.
Here's another vid, non- chase, with mostly of noble in the middle.
http://vimeo.com/2572241

Here, another chase flick taken the same day as with Arkayne's but different rider.
http://www.viddler.com/explore/ozzer/videos/9/
It shows a bit more of Noble sections.

Nice RR, Plummit. Glad you enjoyed the trip and the ride. Laura, you need to drop me a PM next time you go on a ride like this. I ride XC too. :)

Loco - get those pics out.
Next time you're out back here, we got some other XC trails to take you too.
http://vimeo.com/2459609

go ride!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Gawd, I miss that place.

Ed: Ramon's, I mean, of course. But not having Noble around is a close second in the bummer category.

Last edited: