Quantcast

Nobody's Food...

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I've been away a lot, but i will work on the hollandaise recipe this week and post it. them. not just a one-size-fits-all sort of thing.
You should get some shiny metallic plates for the pics. Because everybody knows there's no plates like chrome for the hollandaise. :p

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Recipe, bahstid! :D
I free-based it, but i'm working on a repeatable recipe this month.

basically, cut small taters to about bite-size.

boil until they are not quite done.

drain and cool, mix with evoo, salt, pepper, some hot spices of your choice... nothing crazy.

heat up a cast-iron pan or equivalent. high heat. butter and oil. no fires, por favor. toss the taters in when it's smokin'.

try to get some crust of seasoning and butter to stick. it's hit and miss right now, like i said, need to refine the effort.

some sour cream and easily crumbled blue cheese mixed up and kept thin, not too clumpy, to spread around when it's out and cooling.

chop some green onions if you got em. or chives. hell, even a leek.

or something.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
they're working on duck-fat frying up here now, so it's easily available. but it's basically low-temp-fat frying... could do it with butter, i think... need to research it, i guess.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I free-based it, but i'm working on a repeatable recipe this month.

basically, cut small taters to about bite-size.

boil until they are not quite done.

drain and cool, mix with evoo, salt, pepper, some hot spices of your choice... nothing crazy.

heat up a cast-iron pan or equivalent. high heat. butter and oil. no fires, por favor. toss the taters in when it's smokin'.

try to get some crust of seasoning and butter to stick. it's hit and miss right now, like i said, need to refine the effort.

some sour cream and easily crumbled blue cheese mixed up and kept thin, not too clumpy, to spread around when it's out and cooling.

chop some green onions if you got em. or chives. hell, even a leek.

or something.
The Inn on the Twenty in Jordan ON has these. Very tasty... Good food and riding in Niagara.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Nobody... it is good to see that you are back posting on RM!!

So where do you reccomend someone get their duck-fat. Will Whole-Foods have something like that?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Nobody... it is good to see that you are back posting on RM!!

So where do you reccomend someone get their duck-fat. Will Whole-Foods have something like that?
It probably depends on the location, but any decent butcher should either have it on hand all the time or be able to get it for in large quantities pretty quickly. You may have to ask either way since they might keep in the back or in the freezer.

Some cooks use gallons of duck fat at a time for confit so it's not all that unusual of a request.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
I was starting to think that DRB may have eaten Nobody too. Good to see you're still kicking!
I'm mostly a Facebooker these days. Most of my Cali friends are all using it and it's the most effective way to keep up to date with stuff.

Not that i'm endorsing it, btw. Just using it.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Google this in Google Images and let me know what's the first couple of pics...

blackened potato salad

heh.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Now I'm hungry... I will cook the Irish Creole Stew.
Remember to taste it as you cook it - add stuff if you think it needs it. I have very... ahem... 'mature' taste-buds which may push my seasoning up a few extra notches.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Just got this a few weeks ago - unfortunately it's very hot and humid weather these days, so I haven't been able to us it a lot [yet!] but I am learning.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
...cooks really, REALLY fast. So i add them last. In this case, cuz shrooms are so durable over high heat, that's what I started with:

When they were about 1/2 done, I added the peppers:

and then the shrimp and green onions:

Easy stuff. If folks are really hungry, serve with beans and rice or salad.

Last edited:

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto

Bavette
, onglet [bottom] and roast sweet corn ala BGE*. A side salad of tomatoes, onions, cucumbers and mascarpone to break things up. Dipping sauce was some leftover barbecue sauce, mayonnaise, yoghurt, hot sauce, etc.

Bavette is sometimes called Flank Steak here, and the much more rare Onglet is named Hanger Steak, also called 'Butcher's Cut' because it was often cut by and kept for, butchers, not to be sold.​

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto

Venison rack [bbq roasted], oven baked potato crisps with mushrooms, bbq roasted asparagus, yoghurt mayonnaise...

The thing about Venison is that it most closely resembles filet mignon in consistency and coloration. However, it is GAME so if you somehow cook it to grey, it will be inedible [leather, maybe].

This is a medium rare, and I think next time I will try for medium, but color-wise it would look the same.

Just a heads up.

Resting it - just before i tinfoiled it

Prior to cooking, I rubbed it down with salt and pepper.

After I took it off the bbq, to rest, I coated it with a butter/maple-mustard glaze and covered it with tinfoil for about 10 mins longer.

Last edited:

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.

Venison rack [bbq roasted], oven baked potato crisps with mushrooms, bbq roasted asparagus, yoghurt mayonnaise...

The thing about Venison is that it most closely resembles filet mignon in consistency and coloration. However, it is GAME so if you somehow cook it to grey, it will be inedible [leather, maybe].

This is a medium rare, and I think next time I will try for medium, but color-wise it would look the same.

Just a heads up.

Prior to cooking, I rubbed it down with salt and pepper.

After I took it off the bbq, to rest, I coated it with a butter/maple-mustard glaze and covered it with tinfoil for about 10 mins longer.

Mmmm Where do you find your venison? Out in the "woods" or at a store?
:thumb:

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Mmmm Where do you find your venison? Out in the "woods" or at a store?
:thumb:
In Ontario all venison commercially available comes from farms - huge ones, non-feedlot types. Primary reason is that Ontario is a huge cross-mix of land use and there's no quality guarantee on what wild critters have ingested, since they might be grazing on industrial lands as much as deep woods. Hence, only 'protected area' -raised deer and elk are used.

I believe that you can hunt your own, but you have no recourse if you poison your family.

Yes, Supernanny to the rescue [thank God!]

It's $40/lbs from a top-notch butcher. Slightly cheaper than the top of the top filet [$50/lbs].

Bear in mind, I don't do this very often. I don't think you should eat rich foods too often, aside from health questions. It just cheapens the ride, imho.

Oh, and getting it from a good butcher means that it's been properly aged. That's a key thing.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Ribs [dry rub] and Corn...

I like the smoker/BBQ cooker. Those work well.

I use a side-box smoker/BBQ. Did some awesome ribs a few weeks back.

I did a dry rub with Japanese chili flakes, black tea, celery salt, allspice and some fresh crushed garlic.

On the smoker/BBQ side-box with a whole lump mesquite charcoal and soaked hickory chips. About 280-300 degrees for 6 hrs, basting/mopping with ricewine and applecider vinegar, soy sauce and honey.

Then I wrapped them up in foil with a asian "sauce" of soy, ginger (actually galangala), honey, garlic, grilled (and pureed) pineapple and lemongrass (boiled it all with the lemongrass then strained off). Kept them in the foil for another 45min to ensure almost "fall off the bone" tenderness without them being too done where they fall apart to easily.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
In Ontario all venison commercially available comes from farms - huge ones, non-feedlot types. Primary reason is that Ontario is a huge cross-mix of land use and there's no quality guarantee on what wild critters have ingested, since they might be grazing on industrial lands as much as deep woods. Hence, only 'protected area' -raised deer and elk are used.

I believe that you can hunt your own, but you have no recourse if you poison your family.

Yes, Supernanny to the rescue [thank God!]

It's $40/lbs from a top-notch butcher. Slightly cheaper than the top of the top filet [$50/lbs].

Bear in mind, I don't do this very often. I don't think you should eat rich foods too often, aside from health questions. It just cheapens the ride, imho.

Oh, and getting it from a good butcher means that it's been properly aged. That's a key thing.
Cool, I go by the ontario airport all the time on the way up to Cajon pass. ;)
Wrong ontario, I know... :rant:

When did you move? You were in SB before, right?

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Cool, I go by the ontario airport all the time on the way up to Cajon pass. ;)
Wrong ontario, I know... :rant:

When did you move? You were in SB before, right?
i was in sb 1989-2003/2005. in 2004 i was in Mexico/San Diego. 2005 I moved back to Toronto.

Too much drama to recount for the 'Monkey, but life is good, if rather Canadian. =D

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Got a recipe for you to try...

Seafood garden salad (East meets west)

Salad:
Fresh corn, cut off the cobb
Shaved Fennel bulb (Mandolin)
Heirloom tomatos (a variety including Cherroke, Chocolate, lemon etc)
Purple Maui sweet onion (shaved on mandolin)
{tossed}

Topped with:
Fresh Chesapeake lump blue crab meat (the "east" part)
Fresh SantaBarbara tiger prawns (the "west" part) - Butterflied and poached in white wine, sliced lemon, Fennel (fronds), dill , cracked pepper corns and olive oil)

Chill some of the poaching liquid and then toss it into a shaker (or emulsify) with more olive oil and some madera Sheri wine vinegar.

Toss the salad, top with the crab and shrimp, then spoon some dressing over the whole thing.

Sorry, no pics. It was for my kids 1st bday party and I served it in some of those paper baskets you would get fries in...

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Got a recipe for you to try...

Seafood garden salad (East meets west)

Salad:
Fresh corn, cut off the cobb
Shaved Fennel bulb (Mandolin)
Heirloom tomatos (a variety including Cherroke, Chocolate, lemon etc)
Purple Maui sweet onion (shaved on mandolin)
{tossed}

Topped with:
Fresh Chesapeake lump blue crab meat (the "east" part)
Fresh SantaBarbara tiger prawns (the "west" part) - Butterflied and poached in white wine, sliced lemon, Fennel (fronds), dill , cracked pepper corns and olive oil)

Chill some of the poaching liquid and then toss it into a shaker (or emulsify) with more olive oil and some madera Sheri wine vinegar.

Toss the salad, top with the crab and shrimp, then spoon some dressing over the whole thing.

Sorry, no pics. It was for my kids 1st bday party and I served it in some of those paper baskets you would get fries in...
That sounds like a September meal to me... hope you don't mind my pushing it off for awhile. Right now it's too hot for that [in my kitchen, at least]

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
That sounds like a September meal to me... hope you don't mind my pushing it off for awhile. Right now it's too hot for that [in my kitchen, at least]
That is certainly fine by me, but I'm still a little confused. Most of this is raw... just poached the shrimp in a 10in saute pan (with lid) but it only really takes about 5min to poach shrimp. Maybe 5 min to get the poaching liquid reduced a bit, then 5 more min to do the actual poaching.

Anyway, I came on here to post the dish from last night (see below)

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Again, sorry, no pics...

So I had some leftover ribs in the fridge and decided to do the following:

Cheddar Cheese grits with fire-shrimp and BBQ pork - Side of collard greens

This is an ode to the south I guess...

First I pulled all the meat off the ribs and then added a little more BBQ sauce.
Then made some cheddar cheese grits (coarse ground polenta, but made with milk, butter and cheddar)
Next was the collards... actually 2 bunches of collards and one of mustard greens. First saute some pork sausage (hot links or andouille) and add a few cloves of chopped garlic near the end. Then add all the rough cut greens, some louisiana seasoning and some stock. Cook for about 1hr or till it gets how you want it (I like it a little more al dente myself)

Lastly the shrimp... Season with some hot paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, celery salt and black pepper (a "blackened" seasoning mix). Then saute in a HOT pan with some butter. At the end, deglaze with a mix of hot-sauce (Red rooster or Crystal) and milk for a spicy sort of cream sauce.

Put the greens on the plate, then the grits next to them. Top the grits with the BBQ pork on one side and the shrimp on the other. Top the shrimp with your pan sauce.

:drool: