Quantcast

Noisy ti seat rails........ti prep?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've got two bikes with titanium seat rails and I can't get them to stop squeaking. Tried blue locktite, grease, clean etc and I get get them to shut up. One of them is one my xc bike and I'm getting sick of having to listen to it for hours of climbing. I've never used ti prep on anything but ti bb spindles but is this a potential noise suppressor? I don't own any of this stuff so I figured I'd ask before ordering some.

Thanks

EDIT: It's definitely at the rail/seatpost interface. It goes away with grease but only temporarily.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Matt D said:
hmm, good question. Usually grease takes care of it right away, maybe try some teflon tape? What kind of seatpost?
Yeah the grease works but only for about 2 long rides. The seatpost is a thomson ripoff that comes oem on specialized bikes. The same saddle has the same problem when I put it on another bike with a real thomson......and a titec, and a synchros and a kalloy.......

So Ian, Your answer is "yes" this will work? What do you mean by "helps some"? Does it eventually start creaking again?

Thanks

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
anti-seize should do the same thing as ti prep, if you search hard enough you should be able to find a small sample package near the spark plugs and stuff at your auto parts store.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Joe Pozer said:
That's what you get for being such a weight weenie... ;) :D

I have to have light bikes to counter the side effects of my beer as nutrition system.

Thanks phlake. I'll try to get some on the way home. I know ti-prep is geared to perform the same purpose. If not, ti prep it is.

Thanks guys.