Quantcast

Nokian Gazzaloddi 2.6" - rated?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
The DHi I bought on ebay came with these tyres fitted, and at first I thought they'd be terrible. First outing the bike got was muddy, and they were indeed terrible. However sicne that I've ridden them in the dry a few times and they actually seem pretty good to me. It's a hard compound so they don't wear out too quickly, and seem to "bite" really well. And the rolling resistance is soooo much less than with Michelins etc.

What do you reckon, are they truly sh!t-tastic, or do they actually cut it in the right conditions?

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
IMO their rubber compound and especially tread pattern is outdated. They rip on grass though. :think: The squared-off profile gave me fits, those side lugs would fold over with no warning. I prefer a tire that begins to drift before letting go completely, gives me a chance to recover.

For reference I've used: 24x3.0's, 26x2.6's and 26x2.3's.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
These are 24" x 2.6" - FWIW I think they have a rounder profile than the 26" ones - I'll check when I get home, but I do remember the 26" ones being very square and that's not struck me about these ones.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Nope, seems a very similar profile to the 26" ones. I like them though - I hate how slow michelins roll :(

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I ran a 2.6 and 2.3 gazz for a while. My experience was that they were good. Not bad, not excellent, just good. The 2.6 needs really low pressure, considerably lower than Michelin, to work correctly. Rolling resistance was not great. Good tire for mixed conditions, grass and loamy soil.

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
i have always had a soft spot for gazzalodies especially in 2.6, they just seem to hook up so damn well for me.
but i decided to try out different tires so i got kujos and after a couple of months i have come to the conclusion that i prefer the gazzaloddi, they just didnt hook up on corners they just didnt have any bite, didnt give me any confidence, after refitting my gazza's i've been having a lot more fun.

about to try 2.5 maxxis highrollers since they are such a good deal, only question is wether to get maxxpro or supertacky.

so big :thumb: for gazza's from me.
undoubtedly theres better tires out there, but for me there my fav, i get on with them so well, maybe its just the terrain and conditions i ride in, dry rocky/gravely and sometimes dusty.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Originally posted by JRogers
I ran a 2.6 and 2.3 gazz for a while. My experience was that they were good. Not bad, not excellent, just good. The 2.6 needs really low pressure, considerably lower than Michelin, to work correctly. Rolling resistance was not great. Good tire for mixed conditions, grass and loamy soil.
Running mine not too soft, about 26psi, and they roll great :)

Steve, Kujos are fecking ****, well known fact ;)

My fav tyres are comp 32s every time, but they're £40 :'(

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I've used the 2.6 Gazzes and the 3.0 Gazzes. The cool thing about them is you can run silly low pressures...but then you're increasing your rolling resistance so at that point, you're better off with your Michelin tires because of better traction. Nokian was supposed to come out with a newer softer compound a couple years ago. I guess it never happened. If they did, it's not soft enough to compare with the newer tires out there.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
gazzies are cool as long as the surface is soft, otherwise the hard rubber and square profile gets annoying, i like how they climb up ruts but as bulldog says i prefer a tire thats more predictable in its handling.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
I rode 2.6's for a season and was happy. They hooked up well on most dry conditions. Anything wet was a different story, you have to drop that pressure low for any confidence in the wet stuff(rocks and roots can be interesting). They work well overall.
I've since switched to maxxis mobster 2.7 up front and highroller 2.5 in back. I won't get into it but I'll never ride the nokians again.

"Kujos are fecking ****, well known fact" The only good thing to say about them is they have great pinch flat protection. I do run 24 inch 2.35 on my urban bike and they work fine.