Quantcast

Non UST tyres tubless on an 823

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
Is it worth trying? I have 823 rims and some new non UST Maxxis tyres and some sealant. I have been having a load of punctures recently so if this is possible I thought I might give at a go.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yes as long as you avoid Kendas as they leach through the sides... Its all I run 823s, I9 rims, syncros dps 32s etc and nothing but NON UST tires all day long freeride singles to DH casings... A little bit of stans and your golden.

823 has a higher center profile and a better ridge for biting the bead of the tire, put it on rotate tire so logo is where you want it and then run a smidge of stans on hte outside of the bead (obviousley put a scoop or 2 in the tire before mounting the other side) let it set the beas it does 2 things.
1- makes it do the tire pops into place easier
2- Helps seal the tire to the rim with a film and or drying action to prevent roll offs..

With 823s you should be good with a floor pump, worst case mount em up and hit the local gas station air compressor...

Tubeless rocks had ALOT LESS issues since converting 5 years ago...

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I had to use a compressor to seat the beads, but I used Maxxis High Roller 2.5s on 823s and haven't had any issues sense. Hold air really well too.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
Mine did not require a compressor. The maxxis bead seals very well on my 819 and 823 rims. It seals equally well with Stan's rim strips. I never use compressor. I can even get it to inflate without sealant, but obviously, a non-UST tire will not hold air well because you the bead is not plain...

gfisher270

Monkey
Aug 23, 2008
NNJ
I run non UST DHF's front and back with 823's and it works amazing. Never had any leaks on had 1 hard time getting the bead the seat. But they are a great set up and better than the ust tire i've heard.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
How heavy and fast are you? Even with brand new tires (swamp things) and 35psi, I was blowing my rear off my 823. I didn't want to fork out for tubeless tires, so I ran tubes=flat really easily with an 823.

Going to an mtx31 now on a 440. I'd keep the tubeless for the xc bike, but it's been nothing but trouble for me on the dh bike.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
I'm about 80kg and ride pretty fast/hard. Not pro level or anything but a decent bit faster than average. I'll give them a go and see how I get on.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I ran that setup for a while, but like dilzy said, just kept burping them, even at 35psi. Once you burp em hard once, you get dirt on the side of the bead and they never quite seal again until you clean em, which pretty much means starting over from scratch. If you've already got the sealant then you might as well try it and find out for yourself.

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
I run non ust dhf's on DeeMax's ( same as 823's ). I found that by grinding the little moulding marks off the bead helps them hold air / seat way better. You'll see the little raised ribs if you have a look, just buff them off.
Throw some Stans in there as well.

HTH :)