Quantcast

Noob Advice

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
While out riding this past weekend, I came across a rather tricky bit of off-camber, rocky/rooty descent. After cleaning it with no problems, I got to thinking about how much trouble I used to have with stuff like that, and thought "if only I knew then, what I know now;" it wasn't until I figured out how to smartly use my brakes and the beauty of proper body positioning that I was able to start enjoying the challenge of that type of trail.

I got some peeps at work riding with me occasionally and it's the first time off-road for many of them. They're definitely hooked, but I find myself maybe offering too much advice. So, with "if only I knew then..." in mind, what's the one piece of riding advice you wish someone had told you when you were first starting out?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This one is pretty basic, Most people naturally do the right thing but do not realize what they are doing. As a result I have heard a lot of bad advice getting passed on to noobs. When you want to shift weight on your bike fore/aft it is the reaction of the initial motion that makes things work not the initial motion. Example: If you want to get your front wheel off the ground you do not pull on the the handle bar, that will shift your weight forward causing the opposite of the desired action. You must push on the bars (moving your weight back actually) and the act of stopping that motion will unweight the bars.

An easy analogy to understand is jumping from a stand still. If you just lift your feet up you will just fall down. If you lift your feet fast enough they may leave the ground but your center of gravity will still drop. You must push off of the ground to get your center of gravity moving upwards.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Best advice: don't give any. Unless they're doing something fundamentally wrong, let them find their own way and do what works for them. Any advice, good or bad, could have them overthinking everything and wind up hurting rather than helping.

Learn by doing. That's what I did.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Just go really fvcking fast, all the time. Pick up the pieces later.

The moments of joy between catastrophe is what makes the memories. Or just makes someone realize it's not worth it and they'll just hurry up, quit, and go buy golf clubs.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Good stuff, thanks guys. I think CrabJoe nailed it. I learned by riding with folks better than me, and trying things the way I saw them doing it.