Quantcast

Noob to a new Genre of our sport.

Jat527

Chimp
Oct 14, 2008
Hello to all, this is my first post. I am currently in the market for a new bike, and was looking for advice. I'm not going to ask you to compare specific models, I am just looking to be pointed in the right direction.

Here is my situation. I am 5'7" tall at 230. I've got a decent build, I have a very physical job and I've added some upper body mass over the last couple years. I Currently ride a 2004 Trek Fuel 90. (When there was only one Fuel, no EX) I ride typically twice a week (2 Children restricts my time) in an XC manner in Central Conencticut. Growing up, I was a very capable dirt jumper, and also own a TJ Lavin Specialized Vegas, model 2004 as well. As to date, I have taken a strong interest to expand riding abilities, and the BMX will not cut it. It has been so long since I have shopped for a bike that I am now bombarded with all types of frames, from 4x to slopestyle to DH etc. What I am specifically looking for is a mountain bike, preferably FS, to handle some use at the local BMX track, (Foothils BMX), some homemade doubles, etc;. I would also like the ability to tool with some DH/Singletrack duties. Through internet browsing I have seen some models like the Transition Bottlerocket. Now, everyone has an opinion on frames and models, and I'm not looking to start a large debate, I am strictly looking for good hard info. As an XCer, I am used to the weight of the trek, but am familiar with the heavier DJ BMX frames from my youth. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (Am I in the right market with the Bottlerocket? I am not an urban rider, so the Flatland stuff does not apply.) Thanks again!

Last edited:

Jat527

Chimp
Oct 14, 2008
I Feel I should add that when I say downhill, I dont mean competition. I am returning to an interest that involves big air and gaps. So the key is really based around versatility, where a BMX frame simply does not fit. When I was 11-16, my life literally revolved the BMX track and the local park, where we spent entire summers building jumps in the 200 or so acres of forest surrounding the playground/pond in the center of town. Thanks again.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This is not a simple question.

I know people who ride 50lb DH bikes up the highest peaks, XC bikes for dirt jumping, and a range of bikes for different activities.

The Bottlerocket is built for freeride and light dh, so it can handle the abuse but still be just light enough to pedal.

If you can afford it, I would get a dj specific hardtail. It is not too expensive, so having a purpose built bike is helpful.

Jat527

Chimp
Oct 14, 2008
Other than the Specialized P3 (Which is all I can think of off the top of my head) what are some recommendations for the DJ hardtails? Budget isn't really important. I won't sit and bitch on here that I have a ton of money. I am not one of the preteens I've noticed browsing this site. I am, however, gainfully employed. I have two children. But my wife and I live fairly conservatively, and have been saving for sometime. This, obviously is a shared interest between us. And our oldest child, as well. The last time I bought a bike was the Trek, at around 2200 or so. I am a believer that you get what you pay for, and getting trash means much higher maintenance or replacement costs in the long run. So, not to ring this out, any other advice is much appreciated.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Other than the Specialized P3 (Which is all I can think of off the top of my head) what are some recommendations for the DJ hardtails? Budget isn't really important. I won't sit and bitch on here that I have a ton of money. I am not one of the preteens I've noticed browsing this site. I am, however, gainfully employed. I have two children. But my wife and I live fairly conservatively, and have been saving for sometime. This, obviously is a shared interest between us. And our oldest child, as well. The last time I bought a bike was the Trek, at around 2200 or so. I am a believer that you get what you pay for, and getting trash means much higher maintenance or replacement costs in the long run. So, not to ring this out, any other advice is much appreciated.
I am not a DJer, so my opinion might be vastly different from someone who does DJ, but to me all the frames are very similiar. Almost all of them are made in Asia, since like weld finish or tube butting is rarely done. There are custom dj frames, but for a first bike, I don't think it is important.

Using my philosophy that most of the dj frames are the same, I would focus on the fork. The better bikes are using Marzocchi DJ forks with 20mm axles, and usually it is around $1500 for the bike.

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
a DJ/4x hardtail would be great at the BMX track. Yeti DJ, Sinister DNA, Specialized P-series, Blk Mrkt Mob/Riot etc.

If you want FS... Yeti 4x, Transistion Double, very short travel in the rear, just to take out the harshness on landings.

If you want a lil more versatility, step up to a slope style frame like an Intense SS or Specialized SX

kind of hard to find an all around bike. esp if you range from BMX track to DH. If you got the coin, multiple bikes is the prefered answer. I have cheap XC build for XC, a Sinister R9 for lift service DH and a Sinister DNA for jump/ds/4x

lampy29

Chimp
Oct 16, 2008
Rochester
If you want to ride XC, then you may want to look at the Gary Fisher line of bikes. GF has a very good line of both hard tail and dual suspension bikes, and you can feel good about the quality of the bike because GF is owned by Trek. If you're going for a hard tail I'd suggest a Gary Fisher Tassaraja which has quality components, and a very solid frame that can take a beating.

Shimano XT Deore
hydraulic disk brakes
Rock Shox 302 soloair

I can't help you on a good DH bike...

Last edited:

b4stealth

Chimp
Nov 4, 2008
Gary fisher makes some hardtails that would work, their mullets and opies fit what you are looking for. Transition Vagrant would also work wonders for what you are looking at, unfortunately they aren't made anymore, so the Top or the Transam would fit.