Quantcast

noobie at mountain bikes needs help choosing a first bike

samuraimoose

Chimp
Jul 29, 2011
hello I just a bit over my personal idea weight so i decided to get exersize by bike riding. I don't need a carbon fiber $2,000 bike for that, tho who knows in the future ;)

all I really want is a mountain bike that folds with front and rear shocks and some thing that is full sized. after a lot of searching I have found two bikes that seem to fit my needs, and although I use to ride bmx flatland back when I was in high school I know next to nothing about mountain bikes as a never felt the need until now to get one, just really basic bike repair and maintenance as i did all the work on my bmx my self.

here is the two bikes i was looking at but i am open to any suggestions

COLUMBA rj26a

and this one

tobukeru 26 " SHIMANO ROAD i cant really find the model on this one... alos its on ebay for 250 but that link does not work correctly
I am open to spending a little more if i have to but not much over 350. thanks in advance for the help

P.S. this is my first post please let me know Of any thing i should change
ie post in a different forum or some improper wording or terms. thank you again

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
Don't buy either of those bikes. They are very poor quality, and since they are from Internet retailers, you will receive no support. Go immediately to a few local independent bike shops and talk to the guys working there. For a budget of around $500 you can get on a basic hardtail, a full suspension bike is out of the question unless you're willing to spend a lot more. You want a bike with quality, serviceable parts, and a good shop that will make sure you get the right size and that you get tune ups and service when you need it.

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
Don't buy either of those bikes. They are very poor quality, and since they are from Internet retailers, you will receive no support. Go immediately to a few local independent bike shops and talk to the guys working there. For a budget of around $500 you can get on a basic hardtail, a full suspension bike is out of the question unless you're willing to spend a lot more. You want a bike with quality, serviceable parts, and a good shop that will make sure you get the right size and that you get tune ups and service when you need it.
^ that, those to bikes are total turds

Mar 1, 2010
Dayton, OH
What those guys said above.

The good news is there are a lot of really good entry-level hardtails (and even some basic dualies) at your price point that will deliver endless hours of fun on the trails as you learn the sport and decide if/when you want to upgrade.

Our company even makes some of them. We sell consumer-direct in the box, so you'll want to have an LBS do the assembly (recommended), which will set you back $50-100, depending on where you live. Just something to plan for.

Hope this helps.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
why does it have to fold?

the two you linked are crap. i'll agree on what all the above have said. start on a hardtail and go from there. you should be able to find something on your local craigslist. if you do and are not sure then post what you find and we'll go from there.