Quantcast

Noobie Looking for INfo

Chelseapiggy

Chimp
Jul 31, 2006
Winston-Salem NC
Hey guys i'm new to the site and pretty new to bike riding in general. I have a few questions

When I am riding i am getting dehydrated and over heated.. I have a hydration pack i also carry a bottle of gatoraid or some electrolyte drink along with me... I get a few miles into my ride and i feel as if i am going to fall over.. At that time i pull off the trail and walk alittle to get my heart rate down and I sip on water and my gataraid.. I also start slowing eating a GU pack.. This usually helps me I was wondering if there is anything different i can do to prevent over heating and dehyrdation..

Clothing.. right now im wearing a light colored T-shirt and a pair of think shorts... Ive been looking at biking attire and i dont like the skin tight shirts I am large chested and dont like the attention to my breasts... Is there any alternatives to the tight shirt?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
You're in NC, the heat will be impossible to avoid. Try not going out in the middle of the day. This usually means missing out on a lot of riding.

Get out of the cotton clothing too. Go to a store and try on some moisture wicking clothes. I don't like to form fitting look of most athletic wear for women either and just end up buying shirts a size or two too big. Cotton is the devil in the heat though.

Don't just hydrate while you are riding. Hydration is an all day everyday thing. If you are active in the summer you need to focus on water intake all the time. Starting off on a ride dehydrated will make it impossible to catch up once you are sweating bullets.

If you are new to riding, heat will just make everything thats not easy harder. take it easy and wait for fall.

Other than that, you either have to grit your teeth and bear it, or get out of the heat. I myself take to cowering down in front of the AC during this part of the year. Early morning road rides are about all I can handle anymore.

kindtrails

Monkey
May 23, 2006
Humboldt
Drink more water! You need a lot of water in the heat. I was camping on the salmon river last week and it was 108 (HOT!). I had a hard time just sitting in the shade. Over the two days, Me and my wife drank 32, 24oz waters and many sodas and beers!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
too bad you're a woman who doesn't want to draw attention to your chest cuz I find pouring water through the vents in my helmet really helps keep me cool. I can push myself to 170bpm (heart rate) in 100* weather by putting as much cool water on me as in me.

kindtrails said:
Drink more water! You need a lot of water in the heat.
True, but if you fail to keep up with the salts (especially sodium and potassium), you'll quickly go into electrolyte imbalance and ruin your day... or much worse

If you're alone in the woods and go into full imbalance, your body shuts down and you're dead in the water.

How much?

A typical amateur athlete can burn up as much salt in two hours of good effort as the body needs all day long. Most drinks and foods simply don't have enough to re-supply if you're not consuming enough and you really don't want to eat much more than 300 calories an hour.

Water through the vents, I'm telling you, give it a try :)

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
Take a look at Target's shirts for riding. They have some sleeveless women's wicking shirts that you can get pretty large and can be worn over a sports bra. Also don't wear cotton sports bars either.

As for drinking water. I drink water (well cystal light) all day long on work days and don't have a problem with dehydration on after work rides. I have more problems on weekends when I'm not drinking as much water before rides.

Come over to the Mudhunnies forum if you want more advice on clothing/riding from some of the women on the forums.
Congrats on getting into riding!!

dhchix

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
NC
If your looking for some good tops the Target in Winston-Salem has some to choose from. I purchased some tank tops from there that I use as my base layer and they work great. You could also check out Pace Line or Paul Schwins. As far as hydration, everyone pretty much cover the basics...drink, drink and drink. I drink a lot of water through out the day and before we ride in the evening I will start drinking Amino Vital 30 mins before the ride. I've found it to be useful and you can get it at GNC. Also, try to ride early in the morning or late in the evening. If you can not avoid the heat of the day make sure your ride is easy and you are drinking plenty of water. :)