Quantcast

NORBA Marathon XC Races

Mike Stone

Chimp
Jul 15, 2002
Danbury CT
I signed up for the August 18 48 mile Marathon XC race at Snowshoe. Any tips or inside info on riding a Marathon, like strategy or pacing, would be appreciated. I have done several NORBA National XCs at Snowshoe in the Beginner and Sport classes, as well as 24 hour team races at other venues. Thanks!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
how are the laps set up? 48 seems like a nice distance where you get a camelbak and a water bottle and a Hammer Gel flask and dont stop the whole time. Might have to stop once but that would depend on the how long the laps are.
pacing of course is up to your fitness and the course but it's not going to be an all out pace but pretty fast.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
looks like a tough course, lots of climbing. i'd probably run a camel bak and ta on the second lap to top it off. i personally try to run bottles all the time but that seems a little long/tough to do that plus my new bike only has 1 cage.
good luck!

Chris01

Chimp
Aug 13, 2002
Dallas Area
I will be in this one as well. Have only done the 24hr at snowshoe and hadn't seen a profile of the Marathon course.

24 mile laps shoudn't be too bad, depending on the weather and I have support so will most likely run bottles and just try to keep myself fueled for the 2nd time up that last climb.

Can anyone give a brief description of the course... well a little more than "you go downhill, then through some mud, then back up.... repeat"?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Chris01 said:
I will be in this one as well. Have only done the 24hr at snowshoe and hadn't seen a profile of the Marathon course.

24 mile laps shoudn't be too bad, depending on the weather and I have support so will most likely run bottles and just try to keep myself fueled for the 2nd time up that last climb.

Can anyone give a brief description of the course... well a little more than "you go downhill, then through some mud, then back up.... repeat"?
CHRIS HOLY COW YOU LIVE!!!! of coure i KNOW you'll never view this thread again but hey good luck anyway. are you going single speed?
looks like a TOUGH course miles 20/22 goes from 3800 up to amost 4700. it's a climber.
Good luck
t

Chris01

Chimp
Aug 13, 2002
Dallas Area
Yep, I live!!!

Basically I was talked into going to the race, figured it was too far to go to just do the sport race so I am going to sign up for the marathon as well.

No SS!!! I like my gears again.

If that last climb is the one I think it is (from my last time out there) I am comfortable walking it from about the 2nd switchback up. My goal for the marathon is to finish and work up a thirst! haha

Gonna be at the Texas Chainring Massacre as well.... you going?

BTW: been living on the road all summer. :)

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Chris01 said:
Gonna be at the Texas Chainring Massacre as well.... you going?

:)
sweet good luck.

I'm not sure, i'm in kind of in semi-retirement. I might help sug by being a course marshall or something. look for me for the beer hand ups :p