Quantcast

Norcal Halloween Trail Jam. Let's do this.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Me and the homies have been digging our as$es off at Secret. Place is for sure, one of the top trail spots on the West Coast.
We are having a Halloween jam. Everyone is invited to come shred this epic spot with us, if you meet the requirements. The requirements are: You have to be able to ride insanely gnarbot trails, with a nasty tech level and huge gaps. Nobody is aloud to just show up and watch. Dead fycking serious.
Not too much to ask.

Here is a run down of the trails from top to bottom. They are crazy fast. You feel like you're cruising mach-5 through the trees.

2 of the hardest diggers in the state, no doubt, and the head of the Norcal Dig Committee.

S-burm entrance to Snake River 1

Triple roller entrance to Snake River 2.

Exit of rollers to burm, to step down to Snake 2.

Step down to Snake 2

Looking from landing of step down, to Snake 2.

The lip to Cali. The sickest jump i have ever hit. After you hit it once you'll know why.

Burm after Cali to the Right Hander.

Looking to the landing of the Step down, wich is after the Right Hander.

Looking from the lip of Bottoms up, wich is after Step Down. this jump is massive. 20 some feet with a large boostatude.

Looking from the lip of Bottoms Up to the lander.

Chad working the new landing of Bottoms up. We put a few feet on all sides of this thing in the last week.

The last landing after Bottoms up, and the new hip transfer being built right now.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Hit me up if you want to cum jam with us on Halloween. I will PM you directions to this epic spot of spots.

And all my homies from Cali better be here. Timmy, West Coast, Jake, Aptos brohams. You all know who you are. Get the fyck up here!

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
This is how it goes down here...

A-Day Snake2.

A-Rev last jump

Clint 3ing Bottoms up

Abe

R-Dog over Cali

Me over Cali. Photo by Spomer.

Clint over Snake1.

Chad over Snake 2

A-Day over Bottoms up.

Clint and Chad Snake 1 and 2 at same time.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
mile high ejection on number 3 right into the face of number 4. chipped a piece off the calcaneus in my left one and a fractured talus on both of them...
damn man, heal up. my friend broke his ankle sunday too. bikes are taking names

zach, shouldn't you call it the hellaween jam? cos it is nor cal and all :biggrin:

VPFreerider

Chimp
Jan 5, 2006
Just curious after seeing all of your wild trails and pics you tricking them..

How long have you been riding and what exactly does it take from hitting 5-6 foot jumps with gaps that mere-mortals can handle to airing your trails out to tricking them like you guys are doing?

I know the obvious things like push yourself, ride with people who are better than you, etc. etc. but honestly when do you feel you made the switch from run of the mill trail riding to riding trails like this?

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Zach - beautiful trails and the size is something else. That would certainly be too big for my blood but I really appreciate

Couple questions... Are your trails usually set up with one main run? And what do you usually build - 12 pack runs? The gaps look big - are all of them 20ft?

I am trying to get our crew to get our trails down to 4 runs with 12-14 packs each one. More runs is more digging/shaping so I'm trying to get things more simple. They certainly aren't the gaps you guys build - just fun floaty stuff for some old guys.

Hope the jam goes well - I'd love to see some video of that place.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Zach - beautiful trails and the size is something else. That would certainly be too big for my blood but I really appreciate

Couple questions... Are your trails usually set up with one main run? And what do you usually build - 12 pack runs? The gaps look big - are all of them 20ft?

I am trying to get our crew to get our trails down to 4 runs with 12-14 packs each one. More runs is more digging/shaping so I'm trying to get things more simple. They certainly aren't the gaps you guys build - just fun floaty stuff for some old guys.

Hope the jam goes well - I'd love to see some video of that place.

Yo bro. Yeah, everything that me and the crew of diggers that i have worked with for the last 5 years, always starts out with one main run, that gets finished before we move to alternate lines.
Depending on the space that we have, is what determines the amount of sets that we put in, in one line.
Unless the spot that we are building is on flat ground, with no downhill run in, most of our gaps are 20+ feet.
A good example of this was the Farm 1.0 That place was as flat as flat can get, so the biggest gap we could make was about 17 feet, and that was just the first jump, to get speed to make it through a 20 pack.
Then you get a place like the Manpon, where the pitch is ideal, and every gap is between 20 to 25 feet.
Secret is packed with 20+ foot gaps.
The new spot has everything from 20+ to 10 feet.
One of my favorite spots of all time, was HIV, before it got plowed, with 20 to 30 foot gaps, and hips.
I don't like riding small trails that much, after being spoiled with big trails for the last few years.
I'd love to see some shots of your trails.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
damn dude, place looks so dialed. am sitting in the school lib looking at the pics and about 4 people around me had their jaws dropped, one asked if they were for motorcycles. wish i could make it out, stupid work.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Just curious after seeing all of your wild trails and pics you tricking them..

How long have you been riding and what exactly does it take from hitting 5-6 foot jumps with gaps that mere-mortals can handle to airing your trails out to tricking them like you guys are doing?

I know the obvious things like push yourself, ride with people who are better than you, etc. etc. but honestly when do you feel you made the switch from run of the mill trail riding to riding trails like this?
The first trails i ever hit was a place called Chico Nut. The smallest line when i first went there, were steep as$ 15 foot sets. $hit was called the Collar Bone line, because it broke a bunch of fools collar bones. That was honestly the first time i ever rode trails, and i rode there everyday for months.
Never had the choice to learn on 5 foot sets.
I think most people can ride bigger sets, you just have to have balls and determination.

VPFreerider

Chimp
Jan 5, 2006
The first trails i ever hit was a place called Chico Nut. The smallest line when i first went there, were steep as$ 15 foot sets. $hit was called the Collar Bone line, because it broke a bunch of fools collar bones. That was honestly the first time i ever rode trails, and i rode there everyday for months.
Never had the choice to learn on 5 foot sets.
I think most people can ride bigger sets, you just have to have balls and determination.
Very cool :-) I'd love to see pictures of that place too..sounds almost as good as your current sets.

My problem is I can never consistently ride every day let alone once or twice a week with my job, family and my son who was born in May. I used to have trails in my backyard at my old house but I moved in March of '07 and didn't have anything until a couple weeks ago when I built a large wooden jump so I can get some ride time in more frequently :-)

I rather enjoy living vicariously thru you and other insane RM'ers pictures and vids tho :popcorn: So keep 'em coming!!

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Come on fockers. If you live with in 5 hours of these trails, and you don't want to cum to our jam, you're a douche nozzle. You shouldn't even call yourself a "trail rider".
These trails will make you puke from the sickness, then ride them all day with a massive boner.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Oh, yeah, and all you fools sending me PM's to come to the jam, to "take photos", and "film". Y'all can eat a fat cawk.
Leave your cameras at home, and bring your bikes and ride b!tches. No gappers standing around filming. We got our own cammys, we don't need no footage.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Come on fockers. If you live with in 5 hours of these trails, and you don't want to cum to our jam, you're a douche nozzle. You shouldn't even call yourself a "trail rider".
These trails will make you puke from the sickness, then ride them all day with a massive boner.
:rofl: I can't wait to see pics of everyone shredding that ridiculousness.

aeffertz

Monkey
Jun 12, 2008
Ladysmith, WI
Now if only I had a car, license, bike, free time, and the skills. Man, I'd be all over this.
If I lived near by and had a bike, I would just say I was good enough to hit them, and then proceed to hit them and see what happens to make myself look cool! Maybe I'd make it. Maybe not... Probably not. What entertainment, though.... :rolleyes:

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
yo where they at? i got some people(like 2) thatd be down to try, those gaps like 20foot +-, im pretty sure we can hit em.
If you are down i will pm you directions, but bring nobody who is not 100% gonna ride no matter what. And don't bring anybody who ain't got skills. These trails take a lot more than big balls to ride.
Hard tail only. No squishys will be riding here.

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
If you are down i will pm you directions, but bring nobody who is not 100% gonna ride no matter what. And don't bring anybody who ain't got skills. These trails take a lot more than big balls to ride.
Hard tail only. No squishys will be riding here.
oh yeah these dudes ride fo sho. you been to fort ord? the real jumps there not the little ones, locals to that stuff. and one of the guys got 2nd at otter against chad shralping at the Dual Slalom.and hardtail duh.:pirate2:

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
oh yeah these dudes ride fo sho. you been to fort ord? the real jumps there not the little ones, locals to that stuff. and one of the guys got 2nd at otter against chad shralping at the Dual Slalom.and hardtail duh.:pirate2:
Perfect. Fort Ord is way fun.
Get ready for some sick trails. It's gonna be a ripping time.

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
Why'd you go and change your ways all of a sudden? I was under the impression that the only people who would ever get to ride that spot were you and your crew. If I'd had a few months warning, I would have been out there hitting all the gnarliest trails I could find, just so I could come ride that stuff. Have fun.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Why'd you go and change your ways all of a sudden? I was under the impression that the only people who would ever get to ride that spot were you and your crew. If I'd had a few months warning, I would have been out there hitting all the gnarliest trails I could find, just so I could come ride that stuff. Have fun.
They were under tight wraps for a while, but now it's jam time. We just don't want people showing up that can't ride.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
They were under tight wraps for a while, but now it's jam time. We just don't want people showing up that can't ride.
Plus, the rider that hitting those bears are more than likely to have their own trails or know how to keep a spot quiet. Good call on having only people that can ride that stuff there. Yeah, it's kinda cool to have a bunch of people watching and hanging out but a just ride setup is best overall.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Yo bro. Yeah, everything that me and the crew of diggers that i have worked with for the last 5 years, always starts out with one main run, that gets finished before we move to alternate lines.
Depending on the space that we have, is what determines the amount of sets that we put in, in one line.
Unless the spot that we are building is on flat ground, with no downhill run in, most of our gaps are 20+ feet.
A good example of this was the Farm 1.0 That place was as flat as flat can get, so the biggest gap we could make was about 17 feet, and that was just the first jump, to get speed to make it through a 20 pack.
Then you get a place like the Manpon, where the pitch is ideal, and every gap is between 20 to 25 feet.
Secret is packed with 20+ foot gaps.
The new spot has everything from 20+ to 10 feet.
One of my favorite spots of all time, was HIV, before it got plowed, with 20 to 30 foot gaps, and hips.
I don't like riding small trails that much, after being spoiled with big trails for the last few years.
I'd love to see some shots of your trails.
20+ foot gaps is no f'n joke! Big props to be able to ride that stuff w/out stress. Our spot is on the small side gap wise - about 2 shovels/10ft on most sets. The lips and landings on some are pretty tall tho.

We've got bros with burlier trails up and down the road if we get in that mood (ask Stoked he's seen one of the spots). Even then, their stuff averages about 15 ft gaps.

I haven't taken pics of our place in a long time so I'll try to remember a camera next time I go out. Here are a couple from last year:
http://www.defconfour.com/images/pics/Riders/Mike/milo_dutch_mains_table.jpg
http://www.defconfour.com/images/pics/Riders/Frank/frank_dutch_main_hip.jpg
http://www.defconfour.com/images/pics/Riders/Mike/milo_dutch_mains_euro.jpg
http://www.defconfour.com/images/pics/Riders/Don/don_dutch_berm.jpg
Air pics are from our Main line - currently an 8 pack - eventually will get at least a few more sets added. That berm is currently not working, but will be a winter project. As I'm thinking about it I could change it to a bigger set or just reshape it and have it go into a tech roller section to another berm. IDK, it's hard to figure out what will work.

A quick one of the trails up the road from us @ last years Halloween Jam:
http://www.defconfour.com/images/pics/Radiation_Nov_4_2007/butter_radiation_nascars.jpg That set is around 15' on the gap. Lots of tricks and fun going on with that one.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
stuff's dialed don.

zach, why can't you live in north carolina/southeast/eas coast at all? haha. i'm coming out your way for a few weeks next summer if everything goes as planned

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Thanks - nope no overall pics. I'll try to grab a couple this weekend. Thanks for the props on the berm - that was pretty much all Mikey's work back in spring 2007. There are quite a few man hours in that.